Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

Old June 2nd 06, 05:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Default Can't Use Helmets in the Sun????

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 11:46:42 +0200, Hadron Quark
wrote:

Peter Clinch writes:

Hadron Quark wrote:

Noone rides bikes in the UK.

I saw several of these non-existent people this morning. Cycle use
has been booming in London since the congestion charge was introduced.
Last I heard London was part of the UK...

In the netherlands they have flat cycle
paths everywhere and everyone cycles.

The perception of fietspads being /everywhere/ is actually false:
there are plenty of places in NL where cyclists and motorists share
road space.

But why let mere facts get in the way of a good argument?

Your inability to except a generalization is almost laughable.

So you dont agree that cycling facilities and terrain in Hollad are
better and flatter than most other places?

As a %, you disagree that in germany, holland etc a lot more cycle than
in the UK?

Come off it : you sound ridiculous.

Dear Hadron,

Er, I think that subtle clues in Gary G.'s post hint that he refers to
the western United States:

"Not where I ride....the vast majority of cyclists I see on the west
coast and the mountain west are wearing helmets (well, except for the
"cyclists" who ride Wally-World bikes balancing a case of beer on the
handlebars with a cigarette dangling between their lips)."

["west coast," "mountain west," "Wally-World"]

If "no one" cycles in the UK, then the American West (where we
devoutly believe that the UK is a crowded bicycle paradise) must
involve the intriguing notion of negative California ridership.

Not to make anyone sound ridiculous.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old June 3rd 06, 02:35 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"GaryG" writes:

Not where I ride....the vast majority of cyclists I see on the west coast
and the mountain west are wearing helmets (well, except for the "cyclists"
who ride Wally-World bikes balancing a case of beer on the handlebars with a
cigarette dangling between their lips).

Nobody balances a case of beer on their handlebar. That's too
inviting of disaster. Better to nestle it under one arm like a
hen guarding her brood, or a cyclist-surfer taking his/her board
to the beach. Better yet is 6-pack cans (not glass) in stout bags
dangled from the brake levers, bar ends, or upturned drops -- then
they're less susceptible to shaking. The aluminum cans might later
lead to Alzheimer's, but in the meantime they can do for seatpost shims.
Heineken cans have some good contours to 'em, if one wants shims with
some degree of convex/concave curvature.

As for smoking while riding, I suppose some folks will try it, but
eventually the effects of tongue-burn and smoke-eye (or worse yet --
ash-eye or ember-eye) will dissuade them.

I can easily guise myself as something like the riders you
describe (and I often do,) what with my ugly bike with it's
fenders & milk crate & toeclip covers made from pieces of
inner-tube. When I do so, am I a cyclist, or just a "cyclist"?

What exactly /does/ the word: "cyclist" mean anyways, apart
from the legal lingo in traffic laws? At any rate, I'm
perfectly happy to simply be a bike ridER rather than a bicyclIST,
same as anyone else who has gravitated to their own personal
style of riding bicycles. AFAICT, it's the *ers who do the
doing; it's the *ists who stand around, just thinking' & talkin'
about doing, and perhaps buying stuff (like helmets, for example)
to look the part, instead of developing their quads 'n calves 'n
lungs 'n survival smarts. (I guess *eer, as in engin[eer] is an
incrementation of *er, kinda like C++)

I infer from your post that you believe bicycle riders' legitimacies
as bicycle riders depends on possession and use of bicycle helmets,
and perhaps other garb, accoutrements and mammon-begotten stuff.

I don't think so.

Those folks on cheap bikes, grinding their ways to work while
dressed in their jack-shirts and work gloves and hard hats,
and no "official", safety-agency-approved helmet, are your
fellow riders.

/Anybody/ riding a bicycle is your fellow rider.
Maybe not your fellow "cyclist" (Whatever the heck that means,)
but your fellow rider.

And that person deserves at least acknowledgment & recognition,
if not respect, as such. You don't have to like the guy and take
him home to dinner; just please at least cut 'im some slack, and
don't put him down as inferior.

Cutting slack for people is good. I like to do so, 'cuz I like
people. And sometimes I need a li'l slack cut for me ;-)

cheers,
(I forgot my name. Oh, well ...)

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old June 4th 06, 06:00 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

Cutting slack for people is good. I like to do so, 'cuz I like
people. And sometimes I need a li'l slack cut for me ;-)

Ditto.

I perceive that all too often, cyclists/riders are their/our
own worst enemies.

Whudda buncha trite, officious, picayune bickerers (amongst
ourselves) we can sometimes be.

Oh, well.

cheers,
Tom

Old June 5th 06, 07:20 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Quoting Tom Keats :
As for smoking while riding, I suppose some folks will try it, but
eventually the effects of tongue-burn and smoke-eye (or worse yet --
ash-eye or ember-eye) will dissuade them.

Maybe a hookah mounted to the rear is the answer.
--
David Damerell flcl?
Today is Sunday, June - a weekend.
Old June 7th 06, 06:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Hadron Quark wrote:
Tony Raven writes:

Jay Beattie wrote:
I also have a shower
helmet, a walking helmet, a car helmet -- but I only wear those to ****
off Frank and Tony.

You being consistent would not **** me off at all. And the ones that
think cycling is so much more dangerous than any other every day
activity that it needs special protective clothing mainly bemuse me
except when they start campaigning to enforce their choice on others.

Who has said cycling is much more dangerous? I thought this thread was
about whether a helemt would protect one. Why are you constantly
shifting to discussing whether walking is more dangerous than cycling

(which it clearly isnt reagardless of how many ridiculous statistics
you spout).

Old June 7th 06, 06:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

Hadron Quark wrote:
Tony Raven writes:

Jay Beattie wrote:
I also have a shower
helmet, a walking helmet, a car helmet -- but I only wear those to ****
off Frank and Tony.

You being consistent would not **** me off at all. And the ones that
think cycling is so much more dangerous than any other every day
activity that it needs special protective clothing mainly bemuse me
except when they start campaigning to enforce their choice on others.

Who has said cycling is much more dangerous? I thought this thread was
about whether a helemt would protect one. Why are you constantly
shifting to discussing whether walking is more dangerous than cycling
(which it clearly isnt reagardless of how many ridiculous statistics you spout).

Take an old helmet put a melon and drop it on a sidewalk from three
feet. Now drop just the melom. This is your brain,This is your brain
on the side walk!
vmcreek;It's not what you ride but that you ride.

Old June 7th 06, 07:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

vmcreek wrote:

Take an old helmet put a melon and drop it on a sidewalk from three
feet. Now drop just the melom. This is your brain,This is your brain
on the side walk!

If people's brains and skulls were really that prone to damage we'd have
died out millenia ago, because any time anyone fell over they'd be
killed. No need to wait for bikes to be invented.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old June 7th 06, 07:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

vmcreek wrote:

Take an old helmet put a melon and drop it on a sidewalk from three
feet. Now drop just the melom. This is your brain,This is your brain
on the side walk! vmcreek;It's not what you ride but that you ride.

My head isn't a melon but I can't speak for yours

--
Tony

- Leonardo da Vinci
Old June 8th 06, 11:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc

In article om,
vmcreek ) wrote:
Take an old helmet put a melon and drop it on a sidewalk from three
feet. Now drop just the melom. This is your brain,This is your brain
on the side walk!

See this melon? That's you, that is. That's your head. All green and
squashy. Ick.
Mary_Whitehouse-Experience

Among the calamities of war may be jointly numbered the diminution of
the love of truth, by the falsehoods which interest dictates and
credulity encourages.