Anybody have any 27" rims?

Old August 14th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

Default Anybody have any 27" rims?

On Aug 14, 7:34 am, Chalo wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:

landotter wrote:

Ozark Bicycle wrote:

Sun CRT16/Chinook 40H and 48H -$14.95

Yeah, that's more like it for a tandem.

Agreed, but the OP seemed to want 36H rims.

But that's ridiculous; it's like someone using 16-spoke wheels for a
single bike... oh.

Never mind.

I was just pointing the OP to what they asked about. The rest is their
decision. Perhaps they have been using 36H previously, with good
results; who knows.

That said, the 40H and 48H rims that Nashbar is selling cheap are the
better choice.

Old August 15th 07, 12:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

datakoll wrote:
yowser! ya got whippets? great fried in oil. how much for a dozen UPS?

I thought he meant the other kind, 'hippie crack', NO2.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Old August 15th 07, 01:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom \Johnny Sunset\ Sherman[_647_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
landotter wrote:
Ozark Bicycle wrote:
Sun CRT16/Chinook 40H and 48H -$14.95
Yeah, that's more like it for a tandem.

Agreed, but the OP seemed to want 36H rims.

But that's ridiculous; it's like someone using 16-spoke wheels for a
single bike... oh.

Never mind.

If the couple consisted of a 55-kgf man and a 40-kgf woman, 36-spoke
tandem wheels would not be ridiculous.

"I didn't expect a kind of Spanish Inquisition"

Old August 15th 07, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Aug 14, 6:50 am, landotter wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:15 pm, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:20 pm, AntiSpammer wrote:

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 12:44:15 -0500, !Jones wrote:
Back in the rear of your shop, you might have a set of nice 36-hole,
27" aluminum alloy rims suitable for a tandem. They might even be
built for a 6-cog freewheel.

If so, then get back to me. )

Bye, now.

There's people happy to sell you anything, included some outmoded 27"
wheels. Have you considered upgrading the bike to 650b's? You'll end up
with a much better bike

Yeah, now there's some great advice: ditch a somewhat hard to find
wheel/tire size that your bike is already setup for in favor of a
*harder to find*, oddball wheel/tire size with only a few relatively
expensive choices available. Then, go change out your brakes in hope
of finding something that works with your new weird wheels. Wow.....

Party pooper! I already got out the twine, shellac, and vine basket of
whippets.

You forgot the beeswax.

Oh. and bring some snappers, for after the whippets. ;-)

Old August 15th 07, 11:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Aug 14, 10:31 pm, still me wrote:
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 05:58:20 -0700, Ozark Bicycle

wrote:

I was just pointing the OP to what they asked about. The rest is their
decision. Perhaps they have been using 36H previously, with good
results; who knows.

That said, the 40H and 48H rims that Nashbar is selling cheap are the
better choice.

Unless he has 36H hubs. Then they'd be somewhat difficult to use.

Indeed.

Old August 15th 07, 12:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:11:12 -0700, in rec.bicycles.tech Ozark Bicycle
wrote:

If it's 27" rims you seek, Nashbar has several at good prices:

Sun AT18 36H -$9.99ea

That isn't bad, is it. I quit looking at Nashbar some time back. I
see a pair there, though, that will serve my needs. Seems like I
looked once and found only 700c... not that there's anything *wrong*
with it.

Jones

Old August 15th 07, 12:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:38:41 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

36 holes for a tandem? That had better be a lightweight team, or else
an exceptionally strong rim.

Most of the stock rims for tandems nowadays are 36 hole. It bugged me
at first, being used to 48; however, we haven't had any issues on a
stock Ibis machine... but then, we're a conservative, recreational
team. The old Paramount I'm restoring had 48 and they're *heavy*. I
had toyed with building a second set of wheels, but I think I'll just
lace in new 48 spoke rims since Nashbar has 'em.

Old August 15th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:20:13 -0800, in rec.bicycles.tech AntiSpammer
wrote:

There's people happy to sell you anything, included some outmoded 27"
wheels.

One man's "outmoded" equipment is another man's antique! It's an
early Paramount tandem under restoration and I wanted to stay with 27"
rims for aesthetic reasons... 'course, by that logic, I'd keep the
cast iron rims; however, I'm not *that* aesthetic!

Jones

Old August 15th 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones

On Mon, 13 Aug 2007 22:30:36 -0000, in rec.bicycles.tech datakoll
wrote:

save your dough for 700c [...]

Yeah, I ain't knockin' it, mind you... and I know that a Bendix
2-speed "kick back" is *so*... like... you know... last century, man.

Isn't it weird what people will think is cool? I mean, whoda thunk
that the GM Corvair would be a hot item today? There are whole shops
dedicated to obsolete bicycles. (Does "Memory Lane" have a web page?)

But, then... friction shifters still work today after being on the
road for 30 years. Do you suppose that any of today's equipment will
still be running in 2037?

Jones

Old August 15th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com is offline
Banned

On Aug 13, 12:26 pm, A Muzi wrote:
!Jones wrote:
Back in the rear of your shop, you might have a set of nice 36-hole,
27" aluminum alloy rims suitable for a tandem. They might even be
built for a 6-cog freewheel.

If so, then get back to me. )

We can build the new Velocity Synergy 27 on a Phil Wood freewheel hub or
other hub for you.
--
Andrew Muziwww.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Went to the website and didn't see this 'en....where is info about it?