What gauge of spoke do I have?

Old August 1st 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default What gauge of spoke do I have?

Sandy wrote:
Le 8/1/2009 18:43, AMuzi a bien réfléchi et puis a déclaré:
someone wrote:
On 1 Aug, 01:38, !Jones wrote:
On 31 Jul 2009 21:11:08 GMT, in rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Having incompatible spoke threads would resolve that problem...
Maybe; however, I *have* seen people screw a bottom bracket race into
the wrong side. They must have had a heck of a wrench, but I've seen
it.

I suppose that my question becomes: What size nipple do I need? It
would seem to me that the thread is the critical part in that it's
usually larger than the shaft.

The one that fits. Seriously, a manufacturer may use the same
threading for two spoke gauges. Another may not.

Probably the largest anomaly is the use of the nipple body for 15swg
being forced onto 14swg spokes. That was contributary to nipple heads
snapping off and splitting in the threaded portion. Accurate
construction and larger radius in the transition from the shank to the
head means the 15/14 nipple is a working reality, although this seems
to have created the poor selection of 14swg spokes where 15swg is the
correct maximum choice.

"Seriously, a manufacturer may use the same threading for two spoke
gauges. Another may not"

Name any current spoke which is not 56 threads per inch.

Have you thought of adding to the FAQ a list of contributors who are to
be completely distrusted? I guess I'm glad you write to set things
straight, so that others may not be misled, and I wouldn't know of this
moron's postings unless someone else is responding. We all have time we
can waste reading here, but it's limited, and I don't care to have some
writers appear in my program.

Writing styles are often so distinctive here that I can
smile and think 'landotter' before looking up at the address
or skip to the next message when Trevor contributes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 1st 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

wrote:
[...]

I was speaking of thread diameter.
Old August 2nd 09, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
someone

On 2 Aug, 01:25, wrote:
Andrew Muzi wrote:
[...]

I see Trevor Taylor is once again making this up on the fly for no
apparent reason. *Spoke nipples for 2.0mm spokes are no more prone to
breaking off "heads" than 1.8mm spokes. *Spoke nipple heads generally
break off from wheel damage by a foreign object. *I have seen nipples
of both spokes diameters break that way, primarily from bending, when
a spoke is pulled to one side in a crash, also increasing tension.

I've had experience of brass nipples of the 15swg size which have been
threaded for normal 14swg threads. The heads broke off with
adjustment of old wheels when the spokes were 14swg and not when
15swg. The radius between shank and head was smaller than common
today.

As far as snagging of spokes or rupture during a crash, then the
weakness is an advantage in absorbing the impact and reducing or
eliminating pitching speed. Tied spokes prevent them tearing at the
riders legs.
Old August 2nd 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Andrew Muzi wrote:
[...]
Name any current spoke which is not 56 threads per inch.

HED Trispoke.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Celebrity culture is an opposite of community, informing us
Old August 5th 09, 01:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Sat, 1 Aug 2009 09:42:56 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech someone
wrote:

Jones... who has a great big hammer.

and a tub of lard?

Huh? What would I do with *that*?

Jones

Old August 5th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8
Old August 6th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
!Jones[_2_]

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 21:04:51 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech Chalo
wrote:

Huh? *What would I do with *that*?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gLN3QoN-q8

Well, now, *that* looks like... fun... for some folks...

Jones... who says: "don't ask; don't tell!"

Spoke gauge incredulous Techniques 10 February 7th 09 09:58 AM
Large marge rim spoke gauge MuniAddict Unicycling 17 July 9th 07 03:15 AM
Spoke Gauge vs Wire Gauge G. Huang Techniques 3 August 13th 05 09:13 AM
spoke gauge/spoke tension relation.... [email protected] Techniques 12 January 23rd 05 12:30 AM
Spoke Gauge Question? Matt.P.Herbert Unicycling 3 May 29th 04 08:17 PM