this trucker's killed 3 cyclists in 3 different accidents

Old December 22nd 10, 07:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Default this trucker's killed 3 cyclists in 3 different accidents

Dumbasses -

I find this to be somewhat unbelievable.

From:
http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16915266

Family of Los Altos Hills cyclist files wrongful death suit against
trucker, demolition company

By Jesse Dungan
Daily News Staff Writer
Updated: 12/22/2010 09:10:06 AM PST

The family of a 47-year-old Los Altos Hills woman killed when her
bicycle collided with a big rig last month has filed a wrongful death
lawsuit against the truck's driver and his employer.

The complaint was filed in San Mateo County Superior Court on Monday,
the same day the California Highway Patrol released a report that
concluded trucker Gabriel Manzur Vera was not at fault in the crash
that killed Lauren Perdriau Ward.

The suit names Vera and the Castroville-based demolition company he
works for, Randazzo Enterprises, as defendants. It alleges that the
Nov. 4 crash on Alpine Road near Portola Valley was a result of Vera's
negligence in driving directly into the path of Ward's bike.

Earlier this year, Lauren Perdiau Ward, 47, was killed in a bicycle
accident. (Photo courtesy of Bob Ward)
Vera and Randazzo Enterprises paid $1.5 million to settle a separate
wrongful death suit stemming from a 2007 collision that involved the
trucker and a bicyclist in Santa Cruz.

Vera has been involved in three fatal collisions while on the job,
according to CHP records, but investigators have never found him to be
at fault.

The latest collision happened when Ward "unsafely turned" as she rode
to the "immediate left" of the truck in the same right lane of the
road, according to the CHP report.

Ward and her Trek bicycle then dropped to the right, in front of the
truck's second axle, which ran her over. She was pronounced dead at
the scene.

According to the CHP report, Vera told investigators the collision
happened as he was veering right from the right westbound lane into a
lane that feeds onto southbound Interstate 280. He had his right
blinker on and had been looking at his right rear-view mirror. When
Vera looked ahead he felt a "bump," he told the CHP.
Though the CHP determined the collision stemmed from Ward's unsafe
turn, agency spokesman Officer Art Montiel said there were no
eyewitnesses. Why Ward turned into the truck is a mystery, he added.

According to the lawsuit filed by Ward's family, however, there is no
mystery.

"Suddenly and without warning, defendant Gabriel Manzur Vera ...
negligently drove the aforementioned tractor and trailer rig directly
into the path of Lauren Ward's bicycle thereby violating Lauren Ward's
right-of-way, causing Lauren Ward's death at approximately 3:45 p.m.,"
the suit states.

In a statement announcing the lawsuit, Ward family attorney John Feder
said: "While the CHP was conducting its investigation, we brought in
scientists and other experts to evaluate the circumstances surrounding
Lauren's tragic death, and the team disagrees with the CHP's
conclusion as to the cause. As a result, (her husband) Bob and the
Ward children would like a jury to hear the evidence and decide."

The suit seeks an undisclosed amount of money to compensate the family
for non-economic and economic losses resulting from Ward's death. Her
family and friends have called the mother of two an avid bicyclist.
Feder said she was "strong and confident on her bike, knew the rules
of the road and advocated for bicycle safety."

In the 2007 Santa Cruz fatal accident, Vera's 26-wheeler collided with
John Myslin, a popular Pacific Collegiate School teacher, at the
intersection of Mission and Bay streets. Vera had been making a right
turn when Myslin tried to pass him on the right, police concluded
following a two-month investigation that cleared Vera of wrongdoing.
Myslin's parents nonetheless sued after that collision and in March
settled with Vera and Randazzo Enterprises.
Vera's first fatal crash happened Dec. 31, 2003, in the Moss Landing
area of Monterey County, according to CHP records. He was driving on
Highway 1 when a vehicle driven by Annette McDaniel crossed into
oncoming lanes and struck his big rig head-on. The Monterey County
Coroner's Office reported McDaniel had been weaving in and out of her
lane prior to the crash.

Randazzo Enterprises could not be reached for comment Tuesday and has
previously declined to comment on the Ward case.
Old December 22nd 10, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

From:http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16915266

Dumbass,

It's actually two cyclists, the first one was a car driver.

The section of Highway 1 where he had the head-on
with the car driver is mostly two lane and potentially
pretty dangerous, if your attention wavers. If the other
driver really was weaving ... but given his subsequent
history, I wouldn't be surprised if he also was at fault.

The two cyclists' accidents make me think that this guy
has a habit of surprising people when changing lanes
or turning. It may be the cyclists were in the wrong place,
but most of us have been in the wrong place at some
time or another and through luck or warning, escaped.

Regardless, I think by the time you've been involved in
three fatal accidents, it's time to find another line of work.

Fredmaster Ben

Old December 22nd 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Phil H

From:http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16915266

[...]

at fault.- Hide quoted text -

Absolutely, we've all been involved in "virtual" kills whereby we
could have taken someone out without necessarily doing anything wrong.
This guy obviously follows through. If there have been 3 killed, you
can bet on there being hundreds of non-fatal incidents or near misses.
Phil H
Old December 23rd 10, 12:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Frederick the Great

In article
,

From:http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16915266

[...]

Every dog gets one bite.

--
Old Fritz
Old December 23rd 10, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Brad Anders

Maybe he's just unlucky. Maybe not. Regardless, I wouldn't want to be
on the road near him, on my bike or in a car.

Brad Anders

Old December 23rd 10, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Kurgan. presented by Gringioni." wrote in message
Dumbasses -

I find this to be somewhat unbelievable.

From:
http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16915266

Here's what I wrote a couple days after the incident, after I rode through
the intersection again... and again... and again... looking for answers-

http://chainreactionblogs.com/diary/...ain-yesterday/

What I didn't include then, because an investigation was going on and I
didn't want to add speculation in place of facts, was my feeling that it
might not have been the truck at fault, but rather another car overtaking
the truck and Ms. Ward, trying to beat them to the freeway on-ramp. I saw
this very thing happen several times, and could imagine being either
startled or literally pushed into the truck. The truck was moving very
slowly at the time, evidence of this shown by the point of impact and where
the truck came to stop, a very short distance. Plus there was no real need
for the truck to be doing any unexpected maneuvering. He was already in the
turn lane, already pretty far to the right side of the road (evidence again
being the point of impact, clearly marked on the pavement).

But that remains pure speculation on my part. I believe someone in a
motorized vehicle was responsible, but it was probably someone who sped off.
I'll also add that the intersection is busy enough that it's surprising no
witnesses came forward.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old December 23rd 10, 05:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
--D-y

From:

http://chainreactionblogs.com/diary/...de-in-the-rain...

[...]

Well who knows but this sounds like one of those cop shows where after
the 3rd wife dies unexpectedly the cops start to catch on that the law
of averages just might have been violated.

I've had people who did not show a turn signal or "feel" like they
were going to turn right do a chopping right turn in front of me when
they saw I was close behind or maybe overlapped. Which is to say, I
don't overlap at intersections now and haven't for a good long time.

"Never give them a shot at you" if you can help it, and you can help
it most of the time.
--D-y

From:http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_16915266

Dumbass,

It's actually two cyclists, the first one was a car driver.

The section of Highway 1 where he had the head-on
with the car driver is mostly two lane and potentially
pretty dangerous, if your attention wavers. If the other
driver really was weaving ... but given his subsequent
history, I wouldn't be surprised if he also was at fault.

From what I've read about that accident, she was on the wrong side of the road,
passing someone, when they collided. You're right about the danger potential of that
section of Highway 1, but that makes her passing move all the more stupid. Even
considering what's happened to the truck driver later, I'd have a hard time faulting
him in any way.

The two cyclists' accidents make me think that this guy
has a habit of surprising people when changing lanes
or turning. It may be the cyclists were in the wrong place,
but most of us have been in the wrong place at some
time or another and through luck or warning, escaped.

In this instance, he was over to the right and headed for the righthand sweeping
cloverleaf on ramp. She was to his left, going straight. The road is very wide there,
and the only markings are a single white line that delineates the turn lane. From
what I've seen of the accident site, he was where he ought to have been. As for the
one in Snata Cruz, I'd bet that he wasn't really close to the curb before he made his
right turn - but because of the size of his truck and the trailer, he'd need to give
more room so the trailer wouldn't hit the curb. It looks like the rider went on into
that gap and the truck and trailer pinched down while making the turn. That's likely
why he was found to not be at fault.

Regardless, I think by the time you've been involved in
three fatal accidents, it's time to find another line of work.

Very true.
Old December 23rd 10, 08:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
H. Fred Kveck

From:

http://chainreactionblogs.com/diary/...-rain-yesterda
[...]

That is a sort of strange section of road, in that it's very wide as it goes under
the overpass and the turn lane onto the cloverleaf starts fairly late. But I've been
through there a lot of times and seen a few cars do sketchy things, as well as a few
cyclists. Riders sometimes stay by the curb for a long time before moving across the
already marked turn lane. I thought that might have been what happened until I read
that she was struck by the left side wheels of the truck. That's when it seemed like
the most likely reason she headed to her right at that point was a car going by
closely. One trying to rocket by the slow moving truck and beat it to the on ramp.

But Henry's right - the fact that the police report came out and said that she'd
made an unsafe turn and that the driver was not at fault, yet they sued him and his
employer. That pretty much sucks. The local paper has been repeatedly mentioning the
other accidents he's been involved in but *not* mentioning that he's been found to be
not at fault on them.
Old December 23rd 10, 07:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"H. Fred Kveck" wrote in message

From:
[...]

The reality is a bit different than that; in general, the local papers
have been focusing on the CHP guy saying that it wasn't the truck
driver's fault and feeling sorry for him, with the CHP even being quoted
as saying the poor guy isn't even driving right now.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com