tube patch glues

Old September 15th 11, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

Default tube patch glues

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
tubes ?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

Old September 15th 11, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

kolldata wrote:

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
tubes ?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

Have heard of aqua seal used in diver suits. Good for that. Not sure
about tube patches. I just use Elmer's Rubber Cement. Works great, Is cheap.
Old September 15th 11, 04:34 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Sep 14, 8:26*pm, David White wrote:
kolldata wrote:

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
tubes *?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal *"URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

Have heard of aqua seal used in diver suits. Good for that. Not sure
about tube patches. I just use Elmer's Rubber Cement. Works great, Is cheap.

HOW is Elmer these days ?

Old September 15th 11, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

kolldata wrote:

HOW is Elmer these days ?

It's duck season. Wabbit season. Duck season! Wabbit season!!

Where is that wascle wabbit?

--
JS.
Old September 15th 11, 06:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:03:11 -0700 (PDT), kolldata
wrote:

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
tubes ?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

I use some brand of rubber cement I found at the auto parts stores,
not Elemer's. The problem with Elmer's is that it comes in a plastic
bottle. As soon as I open the cap, the solvents start to evaporate,
resulting in a useless bottle or empty tube after a few weeks. The
stuff at the auto parts stores comes in a metal can, which seems to
last much longer.

Awsome Goo works on punctures, but not so well on tears. You'll need
a heat gun or torch if you plan to use it on the road.
http://www.awesomegoo.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 15th 11, 07:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
tubes ?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

I use some brand of rubber cement I found at the auto parts stores,
not Elemer's. The problem with Elmer's is that it comes in a plastic
bottle. As soon as I open the cap, the solvents start to evaporate,
resulting in a useless bottle or empty tube after a few weeks. The
stuff at the auto parts stores comes in a metal can, which seems to
last much longer.

Awsome Goo works on punctures, but not so well on tears. You'll need
a heat gun or torch if you plan to use it on the road.
http://www.awesomegoo.com

Aquaseal works well on chest waders like
http://www.campbellsprotackle.com/st...ct.asp?ID=1431

P.V.C. apparently. If it bonds to a butyl inner tube, I think it would
work, however the cure time might be a problem. Also, an opened tube
keeps best in the fridge - not so well on a bike I guess. But if you
were to repair at home, it might be worth a try.

--
JS.
Old September 15th 11, 02:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011 20:03:11 -0700, kolldata wrote:

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike tubes ?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

You can buy genuine cold vulcanizing fluid and patches in bulk. There's
no reason to experiment with substitutes.

I serve as a volunteer mechanic at several 1000+ bike rides each year. I
patch punctures or exchange a patched tube for one that is punctured. I
figure I patch about 200+ tubes per year.

I go through about 5 5gr tubes of Rema cold vulcanizing fluid every two
years.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...single&c=Tire-
Tube&sc=Repair-Kits-and-Supplies&tc=Cement&item_id=RE-F0F

The key is to use very little fluid (only a drop) and to spread it very
thin over an area larger than the patch. The other important key is to
restore the cap on the tube as soon as the fluid is applied. I have not
suffered a dried out tube problem, using these techniques.

You can also buy patches in bulk - boxes of 100. Rema makes 2 sizes:
F0-16mm and F1-25mm. Most of the patch kits contain only the F1 size.
This is unfortunate because they are not appropriate for narrow profile
tubes. Lie the tube flat, the patch should not extend beyond the tube.

Stephen Bauman
Old September 15th 11, 02:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David White[_2_]

wrote:

untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
tubes ?

McNett "SEAL CEMENT"

Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

I use some brand of rubber cement I found at the auto parts stores,
not Elemer's. The problem with Elmer's is that it comes in a plastic
bottle. As soon as I open the cap, the solvents start to evaporate,
resulting in a useless bottle or empty tube after a few weeks. The
stuff at the auto parts stores comes in a metal can, which seems to
last much longer.

Awsome Goo works on punctures, but not so well on tears. You'll need
a heat gun or torch if you plan to use it on the road.
http://www.awesomegoo.com

Wow! My bottle of Elmers has lasted a long time, I guess. My container
is glass, not plastic. Either way, you can get some contact cement
thinner and thin down the Elmers. I have done that once or twice. I
avoid the little tubes of "vulcanizing" fluid like the plague.
Invariably, when I need the stuff, the tube has run dry. This even
happens with the tube is unopened. Of course, using Elmers means that I
don't have it on the road with me. For this I always carry more than one
tube plus a couple of those fairly crappy self-stick patches for real
emergencies. I do real patching when I get home. Works well for me.
Old September 15th 11, 04:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 13:42:07 +0000 (UTC), David White
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
I use some brand of rubber cement I found at the auto parts stores,
not Elemer's. The problem with Elmer's is that it comes in a plastic
bottle. As soon as I open the cap, the solvents start to evaporate,
resulting in a useless bottle or empty tube after a few weeks. The
stuff at the auto parts stores comes in a metal can, which seems to
last much longer.

Awsome Goo works on punctures, but not so well on tears. You'll need
a heat gun or torch if you plan to use it on the road.
http://www.awesomegoo.com

Wow! My bottle of Elmers has lasted a long time, I guess. My container
is glass, not plastic.

My guess(tm) is that Elmer's switched to plastic bottles about 10
years ago. However, I'm not as lucky. I grab my glass bottle of
Elmer's "No Wrinkle" rubber cement from the desk, unscrew the cover,
and find the brush firmly glued to the bottom of the bottle by a
puddle of hardened rubber. Oh well.

Either way, you can get some contact cement
thinner and thin down the Elmers. I have done that once or twice.

Elmer's rubber cement solvent and thinner is n-heptane, although other
solvents have been used. Solvents don't work once the rubber has
hardened. The various solvents are great for thinning rubber cement
that still is fluid, but are useless after it has semi-hardened in the
tube. I've done some really crude experiments in dissolving rubber
cement in the bottle and have failed with everything I've tried.

Contact cement is a bit different. The cement uses toluene, hexane,
and MEK for solvents. The Contact Cement cleaner is acetone, hexane,
MEK, and toluene. I've tried all of these on a semi-hardened bottle
of rubber cement, and failed.

I avoid the little tubes of "vulcanizing" fluid like the plague.
Invariably, when I need the stuff, the tube has run dry.

I keep some in a plastic box in my car. It gets rather hot in there.
I keep finding totally empty tubes, that have never been opened.
Storing them in zip-loc bags and out of the sun helps.

YAGI (yet another great idea): Put the tube of rubber cement inside a
pressurized container. Some manner of PVC pipe with a bicycle valve
and possibly a pressure gauge. Pump up to some convenient pressure.
By increasing the air pressure outside the tube, the volatiles are
more likely to say inside the tube. License fees for this idea
available at nominal cost.

This even
happens with the tube is unopened. Of course, using Elmers means that I
don't have it on the road with me. For this I always carry more than one
tube plus a couple of those fairly crappy self-stick patches for real
emergencies. I do real patching when I get home. Works well for me.

When I have a complete patch kit with me, I never seem to get a flat.
When the kit is missing a necessary component, usually the rubber
cement, that's when I get the flat. These daze, I carry a spare tube
and some levers.

Old September 15th 11, 06:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:

:untried cements found in expedition repair kit useable for bike
:tubes ?
:
:McNett "SEAL CEMENT"
:
:Aquaseal "URETHANE REPAIR ADHESIVE & SEALANT"

:I use some brand of rubber cement I found at the auto parts stores,
:not Elemer's. The problem with Elmer's is that it comes in a plastic
:bottle. As soon as I open the cap, the solvents start to evaporate,
:resulting in a useless bottle or empty tube after a few weeks. The
:stuff at the auto parts stores comes in a metal can, which seems to
:last much longer.

The other advantage of using a vulcanizing fluid, and not plain rubber
cement, is that it contains activators for the ultra-vulcanizers that
are present in the tube-facing layer of the patch. That results in a
more satisfactory repair; plain rubber cement can peel off.

--
sig 111