Undercover police posing as cyclists catch trucker for driving tooclose to bike

Old July 13th 17, 09:40 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Undercover police posing as cyclists catch trucker for drivingtoo close to bike

On 12/07/17 13:55, JNugent wrote:
On 12/07/2017 11:03, Bod wrote:

A lorry driver has become one of the first people to be prosecuted for
driving too close to cyclists after being caught by a plain-clothed
police biker.

Officers posed as cyclists in Birmingham and the black country to try
and catch drivers putting bikers lives at risk.

The 60-year-old driver was taken to court and ordered to pay £1,038 in
fines and costs. He was also given five points on his licence for the
manoeuvre in Park Lane West, Tipton, last November after being found
court at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court.

He was among the first motorists in the country to be taken to court
after the operation to protect cyclists from ‘close passes’.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/12/underc...-bike-6772386/

Can anyone quote a section of a Road Traffic Act which specifies this
"1.5 metres"?

Note also the quoted rules in the story:

QUOTE:
When overtaking motorists should give ‘at least’ as much room to
cyclists and horse riders as they would another car, according to the
Highway Code.
ENDQUOTE

And 1.5 metres is a fair bit more than another car will or can be given
in many circumstances.

The picture shows 1.5m between wheels. 1.5m is certainly not a "fair bit
more..." at mirror/elbow height.

Does this 1.5 meter "rule" (wherever it is alleged to come from) not
apply when a cyclist pulls alongside a vehicle stopped at traffic
lights? If not, why not? Surely the drivers of vehicles overtaken by
cyclists have just as much right to expect the same safety margin and
the same courtesy that cyclists expect from everyone else on the planet?

You should try and work out the difference in the dynamics of passing
things that are moving and things that are stationary.

QUOTE:
Rules for all road users (including cyclists)

If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and
speed, *slowing* *down* if necessary to let the vehicle pass.

*Never* obstruct drivers who wish to pass.
ENDQUOTE

And?
Old July 13th 17, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr Mudd-John

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:32:05 +0100, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 15:45:16 +0100
Incubus wrote:

Why don't the Police 'pose' as pedestrians to catch cyclists riding
on pavements?

Because people riding bicycles inconsiderately on pavements are mostly
just an annoyance that other people like to exaggerate - they rarely
kill anyone, much more often a case of "nearly hit someone". Where it
is an acknowledged problem, in places like Cambridge, they have
occasional crack-downs on pavement cycling and bikes with no lights,
but that's all it merits really.

My long dead mother used to walk to the shop. She was very fail and could
not see very well.

If some footpath riding **** of a cyclist had hit her, the cyclist would
have killed her and then smartly ****ed off, as scum cyclists tend to do.

I'm sorry to hear of your poor mother's acci - oh wait it never happened, you just made it up!

But then again, in your own words:
"Because people riding bicycles inconsiderately on pavements are mostly
just an annoyance".

You disgust me.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug
Old July 13th 17, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Christie[_3_]

Incubus wrote:

Why don't the Police 'pose' as pedestrians to catch cyclists riding
on pavements?

Because people riding bicycles inconsiderately on pavements are mostly
just an annoyance that other people like to exaggerate - they rarely
kill anyone, much more often a case of "nearly hit someone". Where it
is an acknowledged problem, in places like Cambridge, they have
occasional crack-downs on pavement cycling and bikes with no lights,
but that's all it merits really.

My long dead mother used to walk to the shop. She was very fail and could
not see very well.
If some footpath riding **** of a cyclist had hit her, the cyclist would
have killed her and then smartly ****ed off, as scum cyclists tend to do.

In other words, your mother never encountered one of these 'scum
cyclists' just, in fact, as you never have... Sixty odd years and
counting, still waiting for a 'thug cyclist' to challenge you, you and
your 5" chisel in your back pocket at the ready.

Do they do Mindfulness courses round your way? They can teach you to
deal with life's actual events instead of obsessing over perceived
possibilities. You know, so that you can live in the true 'now' -
without regretting the past or fearing the future.

Old July 13th 17, 04:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Christie wrote:

Incubus wrote:

[...]

I insure my house against the possibility of it burning down etc.
I guess that in your dim eyes I'm being over cautious.
Next time think before you type your ********.

Old July 13th 17, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Rob Morley wrote:

Because people riding bicycles inconsiderately on pavements are
mostly just an annoyance that other people like to exaggerate -
they rarely kill anyone, much more often a case of "nearly hit
someone". Where it is an acknowledged problem, in places like
Cambridge, they have occasional crack-downs on pavement cycling
and bikes with no lights, but that's all it merits really.

My long dead mother used to walk to the shop. She was very fail and
could not see very well.
If some footpath riding **** of a cyclist had hit her, the cyclist
would have killed her and then smartly ****ed off, as scum cyclists
tend to do.

But they didn't, thus providing yet another data point confirming the
hypothesis that people riding bicycles inconsiderately on pavements
are mostly just an annoyance that other people like to exaggerate -
they rarely kill anyone.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Old July 14th 17, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On 12/07/2017 11:03, Bod wrote:
A lorry driver has become one of the first people to be prosecuted for
driving too close to cyclists after being caught by a plain-clothed
police biker.

Officers posed as cyclists in Birmingham and the black country to try
and catch drivers putting bikers lives at risk.

The 60-year-old driver was taken to court and ordered to pay £1,038 in
fines and costs. He was also given five points on his licence for the
manoeuvre in Park Lane West, Tipton, last November after being found
court at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court.

He was among the first motorists in the country to be taken to court
after the operation to protect cyclists from ‘close passes’.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/12/underc...-bike-6772386/

Why don't the Police 'pose' as pedestrians to catch cyclists riding on
pavements?

Better yet, why aren't they focussing on violent offence and thefts?

It's too difficult for them. A traffic officer who'd stopped me for a routine safety check actually said to me, "I'm not qualified to solve real crimes".

--
Q: What's the difference between an Irish funeral and an Irish wedding?
A: One less drunk.
Old July 14th 17, 08:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Wed, 12 Jul 2017 11:03:40 +0100, Bod wrote:

A lorry driver has become one of the first people to be prosecuted for
driving too close to cyclists after being caught by a plain-clothed
police biker.

Officers posed as cyclists in Birmingham and the black country to try
and catch drivers putting bikers lives at risk.

The 60-year-old driver was taken to court and ordered to pay £1,038 in
fines and costs. He was also given five points on his licence for the
manoeuvre in Park Lane West, Tipton, last November after being found
court at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court.

So how did they catch up with him? Must be damn fit police.

He was among the first motorists in the country to be taken to court
after the operation to protect cyclists from ‘close passes’.

I drive and cycle, and I find it absurd that cars leave such a *large* gap. I only need a foot or two when I'm cycling, because I cycle in a straight line. Same gap as cars leave each other when passing in the *opposite direction*.

There's enough room on most roads for a car to overtake a cyclist when there's another car coming the other way, yet so many morons want to drive right over the other side of the road to overtake the cyclist, somehow imagining he's the width of a car.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/07/12/underc...-bike-6772386/

That's called entrapment, the police should all be fired. You can't just go around encouraging people to break the law. Imagine I placed my wallet in front of someone on a bus, filmed him take it, then reported him to the police, the police would laugh at me.

--
If a cat joined the Red Cross, would it become a First-Aid Kit?
Old July 14th 17, 09:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

wrote:
On 12/07/2017 11:03, Bod wrote:
[...]

Yeah, like **** he did. This would be the time that you got done for
defective exhaust. This because you could not afford to have it fixed. Get a
job ya little ******.
Why must you always tell lies? You little piece of ****