bike swerve

Old July 16th 17, 04:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Theodore Heise[_2_]

Default bike swerve

Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

--
Ted Heise Bloomington, IN, USA

Old July 17th 17, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&...&bih=560&dpr=3

Drop the inside knee ...like motorcycle racers

See utube on how to counter steer a tandem
Old July 17th 17, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Sun, 16 Jul 2017 15:18:24 +0000 (UTC), Theodore Heise
wrote:

Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

While I never rode a tandem bicycle I have had exactly the same
sensation when my wife twisted around on the rear of a 90cc motorcycle
to point out something in a store window :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 17th 17, 05:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:18:28 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

Tell her about John's wife, and bring it up in some other context
Old July 17th 17, 06:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

While I never rode a tandem bicycle I have had exactly the same
sensation when my wife twisted around on the rear of a 90cc motorcycle
to point out something in a store window :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

like Payson n no watchmen not gripping the idea is 2 steps back on the bike path...careful which side you pass the clod ...where a ding bell is usefull ..the sound is spot on to the receiver rock or not
Old July 17th 17, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

wrote in message
https://www.google.com/search?gl=us&...&bih=560&dpr=3

Drop the inside knee ...like motorcycle racers

Motorcyclists don't have to pedal anything to power out of the turn.

Old July 17th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

"Doug Landau" wrote in message
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:18:28 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

Tell her about John's wife, and bring it up in some other context

Some women are big enough to collapse the rear suspension on a small
motorcycle........................

Old July 17th 17, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 12:23:16 PM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 8:18:28 AM UTC-7, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

Tell her about John's wife, and bring it up in some other context

Some women are big enough to collapse the rear suspension on a small
motorcycle........................

"Will she fit in your coupe?"
"By herself she's a group"

Old July 17th 17, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 7/16/2017 8:18 AM, Theodore Heise wrote:
Hi all,

My wife and I were out on our tandem yesterday, and when cornering
one time the bike swerved under us pretty noticeably. It felt
like the tire was rolling under, so I assumed it was low. When I
checked, the tire was fine. The other cause I can think of is my
wife shifted positon during the turn, but I know better than to
bring that up with her.

She suggested we had hit a small stone, but I'm skeptical as I
didn't feel anything like the little bump that would have come
with it. Any thoughts for me?

The fellow who taught me how to captain a tandem had sage words of advice:

"You can't /make/ a turn from the back of a tandem, but you /can/ veto
one."

I'm with the position-shift theory.

Mark J.