Triton trikes?

Old October 1st 09, 06:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
[email protected][_2_]

Default Triton trikes?

Hello,

Target carries a trike brand that's totally new to me: http://www.asaproducts.com/.

Has anybody here heard of Triton Trikes before?

Regards,
Cullen
Appleton, WI
Old October 1st 09, 06:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jim

wrote:

Hello,

Target carries a trike brand that's totally new to me:
http://www.asaproducts.com/.

Has anybody here heard of Triton Trikes before?

No.

Interesting they describe their trike as a beach cruiser
though.

By the look of those pictures, it seems to have a unicycle
style wheel at the front and rear-wheel steering. Forgive my
ignorance, but wouldn't rear-wheel steering be a bit
dangerous? I mean for example if a truck pulled close
alongside, could you steer away from it without swinging the
rear end in to contact with the truck?

later ...

OK I just read the FAQ on their website which says ...

"Q: Can I ride the Triton or Triton Pro around town or is it
just for the beach?"

"A: Neither the Triton nor the Triton Pro were designed for
riding on the street. These bikes were designed for riding on
bike paths, beach boardwalks, sidewalks, and places that are
safe with little to no traffic."

I think that probably answers my question!

Thanks for mentioning it - it's an interesting idea using a
uni style front end, especially as I think Schlumf have a hub
gear which can be used with Unicycles.

Cheers,

Jim

(first time posting to this ng, so hello everyone too - I'm
not a recumbent user myself yet, but looking out for something
which might suit when I've saved a few more pennies).

Old October 1st 09, 11:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Luddite Wacko[_3_]

wrote:
} Hello,
}
} Target carries a trike brand that's totally new to me:
http://www.
} asaproducts.com/.
}
} Has anybody here heard of Triton Trikes before?
}
Well, for that, at those prices, it better be made in usa.

The Triton "fits riders from 3" to 5'8"" - wow, that is quite a range. I
wonder what the market for 3" riders is, hamsters?
Old October 2nd 09, 02:08 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Cully J

On Oct 1, 5:38*pm, Luddite Wacko wrote:
wrote:
} Hello,
}
} Target carries a trike brand that's totally new to me:http://www.
} asaproducts.com/.
}
} Has anybody here heard of *Triton Trikes before?
}

Well, for that, at those prices, it better be made in usa.

The Triton "fits riders from 3" to 5'8"" - wow, that is quite a range. I
wonder what the market for 3" riders is, hamsters?

Cycling hamsters, maybe?
Old October 10th 09, 01:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
DougC

wrote:
Hello,

Target carries a trike brand that's totally new to me:
http://www.asaproducts.com/.

Has anybody here heard of Triton Trikes before?

Regards,
Cullen
Appleton, WI

Every few months somebody brings this company up.

I haven't seen one of these things close up so I don't know for certain,
but to many of us it appears that the cranks are fixed to the front hub.
Like, a 1:1 drive ratio... -with a fairly-small front wheel.

It /may/ be that the hub-cranks have internal gears, but the videos I've
seen showed no gear selectors. The crank-hub does freewheel, which we
see a lot in the videos on the website, because they often show people
coasting down hills.

The steering mechanism used in this product is not positively stable at
high speeds, but as you can see the engineers in charge of it have seen
fit to make it as difficult to achieve high speeds as possible, in order
to better protect their customers.

It could be useful for physical therapy, but nobody who is considering a
"normal" trike (like Catrike, Wizwheels, Terratrike ect) for "normal"
adult riding is going to be interested.
~
Old October 10th 09, 02:03 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

Doug Cimper wrote:
wrote:
[...]

With full perimeter bumpers, you could play bumper cars in a parking lot.

Not to be confused with the HPM Tritan
http://hpm.catoregon.org/?page_id=95, which is basically a Ryan
Vanguard converted into a delta trike.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
Old October 10th 09, 02:05 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jim A

DougC wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Their FAQ indicates these trikes are not suitable for on-road use and
no, they do not have gears.

http://www.asaproducts.com/category_s/52.htm