Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

Old October 19th 18, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

Default Australian drivers carve up cyclists (short video)

On 19/10/2018 10:07, wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 7:52:29 PM UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 18/10/2018 19:48,
wrote:
On Thursday, October 18, 2018 at 6:37:56 PM UTC+1, Bod wrote:

I think it's in France that you have to have the high viz jackets
visible in the car. If I remember correctly from driving over there many
moons ago.

I drove there in 2016 and you just have to have enough jackets in the car for the same number of people in it. You don't have to have 5 jackets visible or anything.

Ah, ok, thanks.

--
Bod

I think it was Germany that was the first to insist on hi vis for car occupants who exit a vehicle on the autobahn after a breakdown.

I still keep the two high viz in the car from when I went to France.

Always a good idea to carry at least one, especially for breakdowns in
the dark.

--
Bod
Old October 19th 18, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 18/10/18 23:58, JNugent wrote:
On 18/10/2018 21:28, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/10/18 18:08, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/2018 17:03, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/09/18 15:15, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/2018 14:50, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:
On 18/09/2018 16:42, TMS320 wrote:
On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

The problem seems to be with some car drivers that are
waiting to pull out from side roads, is they are only looking
for vehicles. Anything smaller doesn't seem to be on their
radar.

Without knowing how you ride or where you ride it is difficult
to offer advice but there might still be something you could do
to help make yourself look bigger.

Yes - pink hi-viz.

Wrong. And not for aesthetic reasons.

What is your reasoning?

I gave it in an earlier post.

Did you?

I did.

Does hi-viz not work?Â* If not, you'd better tell the authorities.
And give them a better explanation than you're about to post here.

Depends on what they hoped to achieve with it and on whether they
have actually achieved it.

Yes - that was the sort of "explanation" I was expecting.

And who is to be the judge of those things?

Statistics.

Statistics on what?

What is the ultimate objective of using hi-vis? It is not "to be seen" -
perhaps the authorities (your words) believe it is a means of casualty
reduction?

Do statistics show the objective (whatever it is) is met?

The proportion of cyclists who are fashion victims?

The authorities require hi-vis for many activities.
Old October 19th 18, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 19/10/18 10:23, Bod wrote:

I still keep the two high viz in the car from when I went to France.
Always a good idea to carry at least one, especially for breakdowns in
the dark.

I put them in the car to go to France to pay lip service to the rules.
Removed when back home again. I can't work out why they need to consume
space and petrol.
Old October 19th 18, 10:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 19/10/2018 10:38, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/10/18 10:23, Bod wrote:

I still keep the two high viz in the car from when I went to France.
Always a good idea to carry at least one, especially for breakdowns in
the dark.

I put them in the car to go to France to pay lip service to the rules.
Removed when back home again. I can't work out why they need to consume
space and petrol.

? Hmm! ours weigh next to nothing and are neatly tucked under the front
seats.

--
Bod
Old October 19th 18, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 19/10/18 10:23, Bod wrote:

I still keep the two high viz in the car from when I went to France.
Always a good idea to carry at least one, especially for breakdowns
in the dark.

I put them in the car to go to France to pay lip service to the rules.
Removed when back home again. I can't work out why they need to
consume space and petrol.

? Hmm!Â* ours weigh next to nothing and are neatly tucked under the front
seats.

It forms part of the clutter routinely carried around, which accumulates
to something which is not next to nothing. Each kg of clutter consumes a
litre of fuel over 80,000 miles.

It is useless clutter in the car. Besides, if I go out on the bike in
the dark (*), I want it immediately to hand amongst my bike stuff.

(*) To the usual culprit: take note of the condition "in the dark".
There's no need to reply.
Old October 19th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 18/09/18 14:00, Bod wrote:

[...]

Which "authorities" would that be?

There is no legal requirement for the wearing of hi-viz on highways in
the UK.

Perhaps there ought to be. I keep the items in the car for journeys in
France (for instance).

Do statistics show the objective (whatever it is) is met?

The proportion of cyclists who are fashion victims?

The authorities require hi-vis for many activities.

See above.

Which "authorities"?

Which activities?

Old October 20th 18, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 19/10/18 22:34, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the authorities.

Which "authorities" would that be?

You're the best person to know what you had in mind when you first
mentioned "the authorities" a month and 5 replies ago.

To answer your other question, there are requirements covering places of
work. Though I have no idea idea how much take up is mandatory and how
much is individual businesses voluntarily following guidelines. If
you've never noticed the number of people wandering about in hi-vis,
either you never leave the house or it should serve as a strong hint
that it serves no purpose.

Since you use Thunderbird, it offers options that might assist you.
Under Preferences - Account settings - [your newsgroup account] -
Synchronisation & Storage, select 'Delete messages more than [**] days
old' and 'Remove bodies from messages more than [**] days old'.

[**] I have chosen 30 days.

I also set View - Threads - Unread

Hope this helps.

Old October 20th 18, 02:42 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 20/10/2018 12:02, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/10/18 22:34, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the authorities.

Which "authorities" would that be?

You're the best person to know what you had in mind when you first
mentioned "the authorities" a month and 5 replies ago.

Easy. The authorities for the purposes of researching the benefits of
easier visibility for cyclists are the Department of Transport (and the
road research laboratory).

To answer your other question, there are requirements covering places of
work. Though I have no idea idea how much take up is mandatory and how
much is individual businesses voluntarily following guidelines. If
you've never noticed the number of people wandering about in hi-vis,
either you never leave the house or it should serve as a strong hint
that it serves no purpose.

You have no idea at all?

That's

We all know about the number of people we see using hi-viz in public and
semi-private locations, presumably for safety-related reasons.

But you obviously believe that they are all misguided to do so, since
wearing distinctive hi-viz would not, in your opinion (for what it's
worth) make cyclists safer. And since cyclists are peculiarly
vulnerable, that's quite a claim for you to make.

Since you use Thunderbird, it offers options that might assist you.
Under Preferences - Account settings - [your newsgroup account] -
Synchronisation & Storage, select 'Delete messages more than [**] days
old' and 'Remove bodies from messages more than [**] days old'.

[**] I have chosen 30 days.

Have you?

That's nice.

I also set View - Threads - Unread

Do you?

That's nice.

Do you have any particular reason for not wanting threads or posts older
than a fixed period unread or not replied to?

Or do you perhaps purport to issue the above advice by way of a set of
instructions?

You know how much I value your opinion.

BTW: There was a time when I used to travel with a Windows laptop with a
news-reader app installed. I recall once posting from GMT-8 and being
advised that my system clock was wrong (it wasn't). When I pointed out
that the time was correct for where I was, someone asked whether I was
on the USA west coast. When I confirmed that this was the case one
particularly loony ukrc poster said I was a "****ing liar" (as we all
know, that's how a lot of cyclists talk in normal discourse, especially
to people they have never met).

But now, the Windows machine has given way to a Macbook Pro (for various
reasons which don't need to concern us here). And whilst that is
excellent for emails and for certain other things, I still haven't found
a suitable news-reader app for it. So things tend to be left until I get
back.

FWIW, on some NGs, especially the ones with hundreds of posts a day, I
do adopt a "mark it all read" policy. There is no need to do that on
uk.rec.cycling or on several other groups, where the number of posts in
two or three weeks is manageable.

Old October 20th 18, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 20/10/18 14:42, JNugent wrote:
On 20/10/2018 12:02, TMS320 wrote:
On 19/10/18 22:34, JNugent wrote:
On 19/09/18 12:04, JNugent wrote:

Does hi-viz not work? If not, you'd better tell the
authorities.

Which "authorities" would that be?

You're the best person to know what you had in mind when you first
mentioned "the authorities" a month and 5 replies ago.

Easy.

The authorities for the purposes of researching the benefits of
easier visibility for cyclists are the Department of Transport (and
the road research laboratory).

You're only replying to yourself.

Though you made the classic mistake of mentioning "easier visibility".
Is visibilty the objective or a means to something else?

Even now, the Highway Code only suggests "light-coloured or fluorescent
clothing". The picture shows a rider in jeans and dark t-shirt.

To answer your other question, there are requirements covering
places of work. Though I have no idea idea how much take up is
mandatory and how much is individual businesses voluntarily
following guidelines. If you've never noticed the number of people
wandering about in hi-vis, either you never leave the house or it
should serve as a strong hint that it serves no purpose.

You have no idea at all?

I don't care that I don't know how much is mandatory or voluntary.

We all know about the number of people we see using hi-viz in public
and semi-private locations, presumably for safety-related reasons.

....presumably... Then it's not certain. I suppose it has a use in a
crowd to highlight people that can be asked to give directions to the
nearest toilet.

----

Do you have any particular reason for not wanting threads or posts
older than a fixed period unread or not replied to?

It's a personal choice to not bother with stale threads. Why else?

Or do you perhaps purport to issue the above advice by way of a set
of instructions?

It's usually useful to have step by step instructions when building a
mechanical device or changing settings on computers.

You know how much I value your opinion.

You are free to carry on as you are so long as others are free to make
derogatory comments about you.

But now, the Windows machine has given way to a Macbook Pro...

Odd... The properties in your post are given as "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
(Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1"
Old October 21st 18, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.driving,uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 20/10/2018 23:15, TMS320 wrote:

[...]

Whose "personal choice"?

Or do you perhaps purport to issue the above advice by way of a set of
instructions?

It's usually useful to have step by step instructions when building a
mechanical device or changing settings on computers.

Is it?

You know how much I value your opinion.

You are free to carry on as you are so long as others are free to make
derogatory comments about you.

That's so magnanimous of you.

But now, the Windows machine has given way to a Macbook Pro...

Odd... The properties in your post are given as "User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0
(Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.9.1"

That's because I also have a Windows PC running Thunderbird - but it's
way too big and heavy to be carried within the 23kg weight limit on flights.