Lights without batteries?

Old May 15th 06, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Lights without batteries?

Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

SW

Old May 15th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Steve Watkin wrote:
Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

About the size of it. You can do this Properly, with a hub dynamo
system, but that will cost you at least £50 for the unit (probably more)
plus the associated wheel build costs, and then more for the lamps
themselves to run off it.

So that's not a cheap option, but IMHO it's well worth it on a utility
machine. I run hub dynamos (Schmidt SONs, about £110 each) on my tourer
and folder and the Other Half has a Schmidt on her tourer and a Shimano
Ultegra unit (£60) on her hack bike. No regrets spending the money for
any of them. The Shmidt is a bit nicer but the Shimano works very well
and it gives you most of the bangs for half the bucks.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old May 15th 06, 04:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Steve Watkin wrote:
Any one got any knowledge of these?

I've not seen these, but...

"Why was it not invented before?"

AIUI, it's basically the same principle behind the Schmidt SON, so
clearly it has been "invented before". And the Schmidt has a lot more
magnets. Although this product is obviously a fraction of the price.

Also...

"* LED Light Emitting Diodes - Goodbye Batteries use Super Bright
LEDS with High Luminous Intensity, Wide Viewing Angles and Crystal
Clear Lens"

Sounds a bit vague. Where's the full technical spec?

d.

Old May 15th 06, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Steve Watkin wrote:
Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

Hmmm. This:

http://www.freelights.co.uk/

was discussed back in 2003.
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....a64a8bdf12426f

And seems rather similar.

BugBear
Old May 15th 06, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

in message , Steve Watkin
') wrote:

Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

It's a very primitive dynamo. It probably works for some value of -
particularly with LEDs which don't need much power - but I'd be very
surprised if it's usfully bright.

Morning had broken, and there was nothing we could do but wait
patiently for the RAC to arrive.
Old May 15th 06, 08:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Steve Watkin
') wrote:

Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

It's a very primitive dynamo. It probably works for some value of -
particularly with LEDs which don't need much power - but I'd be very
surprised if it's usfully bright.

Considering that there does not appear to be any storage within the
light for stand time, I would also avoid like the proverbial.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"There is a wicked pretense that one has been informed. But no
such thing has truly occurred! A mere slogan, an empty litany.
No arguments are heard, no evidence is weighed. It isn't news at
all, only a source of amusement for idlers." (Gibson-Sterling,
The Difference Engine)
Old May 16th 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Don Whybrow wrote:

Considering that there does not appear to be any storage within the
light for stand time, I would also avoid like the proverbial.

Lots of very respected dynamo lamps don't have standlight storage. Do
people really avoid the SON E6 "like the proverbial"?

I use standlights, but they're not as important as made out above.

Pete.
Old May 16th 06, 01:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Steve Watkin wrote:
Any one got any knowledge of these?
http://www.goodbyebatteries.com/

They look too good to be true, and if they look like that they normally
are!!

SW

Well, I recently acquired a bikelight disk as part of an ebay bike
purchase, and it works very well indeed. It is now on the KMX, and I
have to say, at night the thing looks fantastic. (I don't think it is a
great rear light, but the looks :-)

http://users.pandora.be/seatventilat...ight/EWat.html

The proposed lights run on the same principle, and I would say why not.
For the rear, they must be a reasonable proposition. I think I'll get a
pair for the kids bikes. Maintence free and bolt on axles. Can't see
the problem. Bound to be more efficient that the pedals with built in
LEDs.

They will be a little low for the front. Bear that in mind, you will
want another light at handlebar height. Neither will they illuminate
the road to any great extent.

Of course a SON is a better proposition, more light, smoother
etc...etc..., but if you don't like the cost, just want something to be
seen by, then I see no issues other than build quality (which I can't
comment on). If you don't like the daytime resistence, disconnect the
magnets!

regards,
Daren
--
remove outer garment for reply

Old May 16th 06, 09:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Peter Clinch wrote:
Don Whybrow wrote:

Considering that there does not appear to be any storage within the
light for stand time, I would also avoid like the proverbial.

Lots of very respected dynamo lamps don't have standlight storage. Do
people really avoid the SON E6 "like the proverbial"?

I use standlights, but they're not as important as made out above.

The name of this thread suggests to me that we are talking about getting
suitable lights on the bike without using batteries. You may well have
interpreted it differently, but that was how I was reading it.

Personally, I would not like to be waiting at a junction on a cold
winter night without lights. The HC requires that you are lit, it does
not say that you should only be lit when moving. If I were to use a
power generation system on my bike, and to be honest I do like the idea
of getting a dynamo, I would want to fit lights that have standlight
storage. As an alternative one could always put on additional battery
powered lights, but that rather defeats the object.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with
money, from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and
rebellion during a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-
driven press! It's nightmarish!" (Gibson-Sterling, "The
Difference Engine")
Old May 16th 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Don Whybrow" wrote in message

Personally, I would not like to be waiting at a junction on a cold winter
night without lights. The HC requires that you are lit, it does not say
that you should only be lit when moving.

It allows dynamo systems with no standlight - the only thing is you're
supposed to pull over if you're stopped, rather than eg waiting in the
middle of the road.

If I were to use a power generation system on my bike, and to be honest I
do like the idea of getting a dynamo, I would want to fit lights that have
standlight storage. As an alternative one could always put on additional
battery powered lights, but that rather defeats the object.

I've never found it a problem - I've been using dynamo lights for years now,
and I've not had to wait at a junction where the lack of light would be a
problem. Some experience here helps - eg I plan things so as to not actually
stop. If it's busy, normally the traffic is slow enough that no lights isn't
a problem.

YMMV obviously - this post is merely intended as a reassurance that it is
actually fine.

cheers,
clive