Q: Disc Brakes Squeaking

Old November 10th 03, 11:51 PM
1013

Default Q: Disc Brakes Squeaking

My disc brakes (mostly the rear) squeak when significant pressure is
applied. They are new so I don't think the brake pads would have worn out
yet.

Does anybody have a solution? Should I clean the discs with metho or
something?

Old November 11th 03, 01:32 AM
Sir Ride-A-Lot

Default Disc Brakes Squeaking

"1013" wrote in message
My disc brakes (mostly the rear) squeak when significant pressure is
applied. They are new so I don't think the brake pads would have worn out
yet.

Does anybody have a solution? Should I clean the discs with metho or
something?

Don't clean the pads! You can use the same solution I mentioned in your

Old November 11th 03, 02:49 AM
JD

"1013" wrote in message ...
My disc brakes (mostly the rear) squeak when significant pressure is
applied. They are new so I don't think the brake pads would have worn out
yet.

Does anybody have a solution? Should I clean the discs with metho or
something?

Ride your bike more then tell us who manufactured your brakes.

JD
Old November 11th 03, 11:32 AM
T_Blood

Does anybody have a solution? Should I clean the discs with metho or
something?

It could be they still just need to be fully broken in, however both of my
bikes have the same problem and I have never been able to find any solution.
If it continues you could try using a fine grit sandpaper on the discs to
remove any glasing. I also run the sandpaper a couple times over the pads to
remove any glasing there also.
I think though it is just something that disc brakes do, I have gotten used
to it by now.

Old November 11th 03, 10:06 PM
D H

"T_Blood" wrote in message

Does anybody have a solution? Should I clean the discs with metho or
something?

It could be they still just need to be fully broken in, however both of my
bikes have the same problem and I have never been able to find any

solution.
If it continues you could try using a fine grit sandpaper on the discs to
remove any glasing. I also run the sandpaper a couple times over the pads

remove any glasing there also.
I think though it is just something that disc brakes do,

NOT.... It's something that _irritating_ brakes do, sometimes including
discs. Pad choice can have a lot to do with it. The make-up of the trails
can have a lot to do with it. Getting pads or rotors contaminated with oil
or grease can have a lot to do with it. Calipers that are sticking or
otherwise not adjusting properly can have a lot to do with it. Don't just
accept this as a constant thing. It often can be dealt with by addressing
the previous and maybe other issues as well. I personally can't stand it for
very long, so if my Hayes (with EBC green pads) ever start making much
racket and it continues, I have to start checking for problems. I've never
had it become an irreparable issue.
The occasional day when they squeal after getting wet (and only for a
short time at that), I can tolerate, mostly because they soon quiet down and
give no more problem for a long while.
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

Old November 12th 03, 12:48 AM
Westie

"1013" wrote in message
My disc brakes (mostly the rear) squeak when significant pressure is
applied. They are new so I don't think the brake pads would have worn out
yet.

Does anybody have a solution? Should I clean the discs with metho or
something?

Wet brakes are noisy brakes.
Metho might work but never does for me.
Wear the pads in for a coupla rides. Ensure a decent downhill stretch is
included in one ride. Maybe throw some very fine silty mud (NO pebbles or
grit) on the rotor once or twice during a ride too. Let the brakes/pads dry
completely over a day or two and then see what happens.
Oil WILL stop the squealing but is not to be recommended.
Sandpaper has never worked for me - it just wears the edges of the pads off
;-)
--
Westie
(Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

Old November 13th 03, 06:02 PM
Dave Adnum

as a mechanic.. i have seen many disc brakes squealing from the pads being
adjusted improperly.. if one of the pads end up pushing the rotor to the
side before pinching the rotor between it and the other pad .. squealing
will occur. if both pads are aligned so they contact the rotor at the same
time you will have a lot less squealing.

dave

"1013" wrote in message
Shimano BR-M525 Hydraulic Disc Brakes

"JD" wrote in message
om...

Old November 13th 03, 10:17 PM
1013

Thanks. Is there anywhere on the net where I can find instructions for
aligning the pads?

"1013" wrote in message
Shimano BR-M525 Hydraulic Disc Brakes

"JD" wrote in message
om...

Old November 14th 03, 01:30 AM
Reco Diver

"Dave Adnum" wrote in message ...
as a mechanic.. i have seen many disc brakes squealing from the pads being
adjusted improperly.. if one of the pads end up pushing the rotor to the
side before pinching the rotor between it and the other pad

You have just described how a properly set up single piston caliper
works.

.. squealing will occur.

Really ... my Avids don't squeal ... nor do my dual pot single sided
Brembo's.

if both pads are aligned so they contact the rotor at the same
time you will have a lot less squealing.

As a mechanic ... can you expalin how you can get a single piston
caliper disc brake system to have both pads aligned in such a way that
the pads "contact the rotor at the same time," with out having the
fixed pad riding on the disc.