Bikehut - not much of an LBS

Old August 14th 04, 11:36 AM
Al C-F

Default Bikehut - not much of an LBS

New Halfords has opened on the doorstep - well, about a mile away. It
has a Bikehut upstairs. "Wonderful", thunk I, that will save the
twelve mile round trip for the distress purchases.

Today I thought I'd quieten the drivetrain on my commuting bike with a
new set of jockey wheels.

So, the lad in the Bikehut went off to find where they were kept, only
to return with the news that they don't stock them any more.

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...
--

Cheers,

Al
Old August 14th 04, 11:50 AM
Chris Davies

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 11:36:01 +0100, Al C-F
m wrote:

New Halfords has opened on the doorstep - well, about a mile away. It
has a Bikehut upstairs. "Wonderful", thunk I, that will save the
twelve mile round trip for the distress purchases.

Today I thought I'd quieten the drivetrain on my commuting bike with a
new set of jockey wheels.

So, the lad in the Bikehut went off to find where they were kept, only
to return with the news that they don't stock them any more.

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

They have just changed suppliers, I have been told. The one nearest to me
ran out of brake cables the other week.

Saying that, the mechanics are great - really nice guys, will do lots to
help out and very interested in what they're doing. There's one that was
selling quite a tasty looking Cannondale MTB last week if anyone's
interested.

Chris

--
|C|H|R|I|S|@|T|R|I|N|I|T|Y|W|I|L|L|S|.|C|O|M|
Remove the bars to contact me
Old August 14th 04, 05:55 PM
Simonb

Al C-F wrote:

So, the lad in the Bikehut went off to find where they were kept, only
to return with the news that they don't stock them any more.

Yet, when I came off the other day (don't ask!), they were close by and able
to help me re-tighten my saddle which had bizarrely come loose.

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

A Sotonian! I find Portswood a funny bunch. Very helpful. A bit like the
three stooges at times.

Old August 14th 04, 06:06 PM
Al C-F

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 17:55:05 +0100, "Simonb"
wrote:

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

A Sotonian! I find Portswood a funny bunch. Very helpful. A bit like the
three stooges at times.

Indeed. Hedge End. Where you?

I feel less intimidated there than at Rotrax.

But then Rotrax had a headset spanner when nobody else in the area
did.
--

Cheers,

Al
Old August 14th 04, 06:16 PM
Simonb

wrote:

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

A Sotonian! I find Portswood a funny bunch. Very helpful. A bit like
the three stooges at times.

Indeed. Hedge End. Where you?

St Denys.

I feel less intimidated there than at Rotrax.

Good point. Mr Rotrax can be a bit off at times. Also, GA Cycles were pretty
good to me the other day, just before I went on my hols in Devon, I managed
to break my chain and chew up a jockey wheel on my way over to see them to
get some socks at about 6 on a Friday night. They repaired the chain and
replaced the jockey wheel and it took them till about 6.30 (way past closing
time) -- they'd obviously had a hard day as all the repaired bikes for pick
up Saturday morning were lined up ready. I got me socks, too!

Old August 14th 04, 10:51 PM
Whingin' Pom

() wrote:

Al C-F wrote:

So, the lad in the Bikehut went off to find where they were kept, only
to return with the news that they don't stock them any more.

Yet, when I came off the other day (don't ask!), they were close by and able
to help me re-tighten my saddle which had bizarrely come loose.

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

A Sotonian! I find Portswood a funny bunch. Very helpful. A bit like the
three stooges at times.

Ex-Sotonian here. I wouldn't touch Portswood Cycles with a long stick,
personally. Couple of bad experiences too many.

The Hub in Shirley High St. (Near Rotrax and GA( seemed friendly and
helpful. Dunno if they are still there, though.
--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ
Old August 15th 04, 10:17 AM
Al C-F

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 18:16:04 +0100, "Simonb"
wrote:

Indeed. Hedge End. Where you?

St Denys.

Particularly handy for Portswood then!

I feel less intimidated there than at Rotrax.

Good point. Mr Rotrax can be a bit off at times. Also, GA Cycles were pretty
good to me the other day,

There are two or three cycle shops in that area, but it makes for
nearly a 20 mile round trip for me. Which is a bit far for distress
purchases, but worth it for something bigger.

I was also favourably impressed by the reception at Hargroves in
Totton. Knowledgable and friendly. But even further away.

--

Cheers,

Al
Old August 15th 04, 10:21 AM
Al C-F

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 09:51:04 +1200, Whingin' Pom
wrote:

Ex-Sotonian here. I wouldn't touch Portswood Cycles with a long stick,
personally. Couple of bad experiences too many.

I don't know how long the current owners have had the shop, but they
seem OK. It did concern me to learn during a chat that neither of
them cycles - they see enough of bikes during the week.

I'm not convinced that I'd take their advice on sizing and fit, but
there's a good mechanic at the place.
--

Cheers,

Al
Old August 16th 04, 07:43 PM
[Not Responding]

wrote:

Al C-F wrote:

So, the lad in the Bikehut went off to find where they were kept, only
to return with the news that they don't stock them any more.

Yet, when I came off the other day (don't ask!), they were close by and able
to help me re-tighten my saddle which had bizarrely come loose.

I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

A Sotonian! I find Portswood a funny bunch. Very helpful. A bit like the
three stooges at times.

There's a branch of Portswood Cycles (IIRC) in Fareham. V. Cheap and
V. good for repairs.
Old August 17th 04, 11:57 AM
njf>badger

[Not Responding] wrote:
I feel a ride to Portswood Cycles coming on...

A Sotonian! I find Portswood a funny bunch. Very helpful. A bit like the
three stooges at times.

There's a branch of Portswood Cycles (IIRC) in Fareham. V. Cheap and
V. good for repairs.

Just don't expect them to have everything in stock like the main shop.

Niel, work in Soton, live in Fareham.