Ronde Champ was a Pro?

Old September 5th 04, 11:47 PM
mike schatzman

Default Ronde Champ was a Pro?

Anyone into minor cycling team nostalgia like I am?
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa94.php
Rob Palachick was a pro riding for Giant in 94, I didn't know that.
Look at all those guys, I know some of those dudes,
you could pretty much buy a pro license if you were a 1 right?

http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa93.php
http://www.memoire-du-cyclisme.net/pelotons/usa97.php
just change the year at the end of the thread, ever wonder who
rode for Richbrau or Oil-Me Klein (the call it SOILME KLEIN, funny
stuff, they were "suspended by UCI")
There was an Indian Palace pro team?

Is Oliver Starr related to Walker Starr? Oliver Starr is now a
bodybuilding steroid guru, and published "underground anabolic
endurance
newsletter" that taught cyclists how to dope properly...

Lieswyn was on like 10 different teams, what ever happened to Elliot
Hubbard?
Ok I'll stop
Old September 7th 04, 01:32 AM
hold my beer and watch this...

Must be, because I see several names of local Lancaster/Philly riders on
that list that I'm about 100% sure weren't pros (e.g., dave black, wayne
work).

I suspect that the list includes guys who, for whatever reason, were Cat Is
who were able to race CoreStates in Philly that year....

om...

Old September 7th 04, 07:49 AM
mike schatzman

"hold my beer and watch this..." wrote in message ...
Must be, because I see several names of local Lancaster/Philly riders on
that list that I'm about 100% sure weren't pros (e.g., dave black, wayne
work).

I suspect that the list includes guys who, for whatever reason, were Cat Is
who were able to race CoreStates in Philly that year....

Independant pros back then, if you were tired of getting hammered by
amateurs, you could cough up some cash and get really hammered by
pros.

Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...
I know Boulder Co. people remember.
Old September 7th 04, 02:06 PM
kaiser

I think at one point, all you needed was $600, and you could get
yourself a PRO license. Forget the Cat 1 thing (that probably came
later).

Wow, lots of interesting names on that list. I even saw Micke Farr's
name. What the heck ever happened to him. Last I remember, a bunch
of you hotheads were after him for some jerseys he couldn't affor to
print-up for you.

Old September 7th 04, 02:08 PM
Carl Sundquist

"mike schatzman" wrote in message
Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...
I know Boulder Co. people remember.

He was (briefly) a topic of discussion here. Stalking (googling) should
easily bring up the info.

Old September 7th 04, 03:36 PM
Mark Fennell

"mike schatzman" wrote:
snip
Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...chariot.net.au

Nobody ever answered my question it seems.

Mark
(has enough bonus-nostalgic-nerd points to upgrade to category 1)
(also apparently some lame points for once (?) using cyclingforums)

Old September 7th 04, 03:52 PM
h squared

Mark Fennell ) wrote:

"mike schatzman" wrote:
snip
Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...chariot.net.au

i see you've followed his lead, fennelli

heatherbella
Old September 7th 04, 04:02 PM
Mark Fennell

"h squared" wrote in message

Mark Fennell ) wrote:

"mike schatzman" wrote:
snip
Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...chariot.net.au

i see you've followed his lead, fennelli

heatherbella

That's how dense I am... that coincidence (irony?) didn't even occur to me!

Actually, the name is because my father-in-law is a big, bad, muscle-bound
italian teamster and I thought he'd be less likely to go Tony Soprano on me
if I told him my name was Marco Fennelli.

Old September 7th 04, 10:20 PM
chris

I noticed Ashley Powell listed under Village Peddler, which is wrong,
unless he was leading a double life, because he actually rode for the
Cycle Center in '97. One of the best riders I've raced with, not too
mention pretty nice off the bike.

Chris Harnish
Cycle Center Alumnist

Old September 8th 04, 03:20 AM
mike schatzman

"Mark Fennell" wrote in message news:SHj%c.103683$4o.43134@fed1read01...
"mike schatzman" wrote:
snip
Tony Comfort was a pro too, in 94, according to this site, bonus
nostalgic nerd points for anyone who can tell me who he was...

per Carl's goog-stalk-ler suggestion,

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...chariot.net.au

Nobody ever answered my question it seems.

is it bad form to answer your own question?
I'm not sure I may be getting my cycling trivia mixed up, so please
correct me if any of this is mixed up, but:
1) Tony Comfort (or Antonio Comforte) was a guy that the
lead character of Breaking Away (Dave Stoller) was based on, he
was a Boulder nutcase absolutely obsessed with all things cycling,
Italian cycling in particular.
2) Davis Phinney talks about a junior he raced with named Tony in his
training book, as an example of what NOT to do as a junior, like
500 mile weeks, because Tony Comfort apparently burnt out pretty bad.
3) Finally, my own little addition, I found an old defunct National
Goegraphic style magazine called GEO, from I think 1980 maybe, that
was about cycling, the Coor Classic in particular, and had a whole
article about Tony Comfort, about how he lived in a shed behind a bike
shop,
and pics of him riding a trainer in his little hovel filled with
nothing but road bikes, Italian cycling posters and a cot. It said he
was the inspiration for Dave Stoller, and that he won the CO. district
road race, but that older riders said he was gonna burn out - he was
an independant pro eventually, years later.

So my next question is this: Where is Tony Comfort today? Anyone know?
I care, seriously.