Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198

Old May 11th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default Wal-Mart Italian Road Bike for $1198

In article ,
Chalo writes:
On May 4, 7:15 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
landotter writes:

On May 4, 2:51 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
Aeek writes: On Sat, 3 May 2008 22:40:29 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Madone frames, like all CFRP frames, are made from charred
polyacrylonitrile resin-- that's plastic, by the way-- in a matrix of
epoxy resin. Which is, y'know, plastic. Plastic is the least
marketing-termish thing you could call them.

I love my 08 Madone 6.9, its an awesome race bike.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the main thing. shrug Who can complain?
Nothing beats a bike that's a joy to ride, as well
as a pleasure to just ~have~.

Which reminds me: I've gotta get around to doing
something about my heron-motif-edition Raleigh Twenty.
It's a beauty, but the stock chrome wheels are so
fubar'dly out of true. I dunno whether to keep 'em
(and the whole bike) stock & original, or stick more
practical alu-alloy rims on there. I'm still thinking
about it. Some decent steerer bearings wouldn't hurt
either, if I could replace the existing nylon bushings.
I've also thought about replacing the flexy front brake,
but that's part of what makes a Twenty a Twenty.

What makes a Twenty great is the frame and the rear hub, the rest is
mainly junky.

Steel handlebars have earned my respect.

The only thing junky on my Twenty is
the fat-assed aftermarket saddle.

The chainring with its fretworked herons
in the spokes is to die for. The pedals
are pretty with their relief herons in the
rubber. The paint is plum brown with gold
highlights here 'n there. The fenders are
sparkling chrome. If I obtained the stock
saddle, matching-coloured frame pump and a
S-A faceplate, it'd be like new out of the box.

Lots of BMX/freestyle rims are chromed aluminum. One of those might
be a better aesthetic choice for your Twenty than a polished or
anodized aluminum rim.

Ooooooh, shiny! Thank you x a million! :-) :-)

The bike really does glisten & glow like wide-eyed
Claudette Colbert in her prime, and I just don't
have the heart to fade it with dull, matte finishes
and surfaces.

Now I know what to do. subtle, machiavellian "heh"

Thanks a million + 1,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 11th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

On May 10, 7:56 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

The bike really does glisten & glow like wide-eyed
Claudette Colbert in her prime,

You *are* John McCain, and I claim my $5.

Old May 11th 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Brian Huntley writes:
On May 10, 7:56 pm, (Tom Keats) wrote:

The bike really does glisten & glow like wide-eyed
Claudette Colbert in her prime,

You *are* John McCain, and I claim my $5.

I assure you, I am certainly not John McCain.

I'm just a women-loving letcher.

Leave me alone, dammit!

I bet my Twenty is prettier than John McCain's.

5 bux is pretty cheap.

cheers,
Tom