Is there any bike related postings here anymore?

Old April 12th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Is there any bike related postings here anymore?

Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Just curious... :-) It looks more like an ebay store front.

Kevin

I guess you missed my RBT face plant thread?

I hope the Electra survived without damage.

Seriously, I can't find it, and dat B no jok. I think Niles PD has it, but I
have no leverage over dos guys. My leverage has limits. Basically limited to
Chicago, or Cicero. I am dat kinda guy.

No compromising information on Governor "BlahBlah" or Speaker Madigan -
or his daughter - she could whip a local PD into line, no?

No one - not CPD District 16 - Niles PD - Bollingbrook PD - CFD - knows
where da bike is. I am ready to write it off, and buy another.

Civil suit?

PLEASE! Do NOT make J mad. J is a rilly bad seed.

Don't get mad, get even.

However, because of Boub vs. Township of Wayne, you can likely not sue
over the road conditions that caused the accident.

Old April 12th 08, 09:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Tom Sherman" wrote in message

Don't get mad, get even.

However, because of Boub vs. Township of Wayne, you can likely not sue
over the road conditions that caused the accident.

Tom; it ain't worth it.

J.

Old April 12th 08, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Just curious... :-) It looks more like an ebay store front.

Kevin

I guess you missed my RBT face plant thread?

I hope the Electra survived without damage.

I sing the bicycle Electra.
If you're feeling frowny,
get thee aboard a Townie.

I can't even begin to imagine wiping out
on one of those things.

Are they bunny-hoppable? I guess even if
they were, all yer groceries would fly out
of the basket. Baguettes de la rue.
For some reason, a dozen eggs survives
pavemental jolts better than a half-dozen eggs.
Grocery shopping by bike is fraught with such
nuances. And the clerk will always fill your
shopping bags in the worst possible combinations,
like putting your loaf of bread next to a big,
floppy can of V8 in the same bag. And (especially
if you're obviously riding 'cuz you've got a
helmet on) the clerk will assume you're gonna
hang everything on your handlebar, so she'll
automatically double-bag everything until you
ask her to please stop doing that while handing
her your re-usable muslin shopping bags to put
everything into. And then, when you get outside
the store, you've still gotta reorganize everything
before you lade your bike with it.

It's good to return home with uncompressed bread
and unbroken eggs.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 12th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Just curious... :-) It looks more like an ebay store front.

Kevin

I guess you missed my RBT face plant thread?

I hope the Electra survived without damage.

I sing the bicycle Electra.
If you're feeling frowny,
get thee aboard a Townie.

I can't even begin to imagine wiping out
on one of those things.

Jay's model (lost by the Niles PD?) is/was an Amsterdam [1], not a
Townie: http://www.electrabike.com/amsterdam/.

I can't even begin to imagine wiping out
on one of those things either.

It's good to return home with uncompressed bread
and unbroken eggs.

No self-service checkout lanes?

Yeah, but up here we call it "shoplifting."

cheers,
Tom

Old April 12th 08, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
[...]

[1] "Armsterdam" for Red Cloud

Old April 12th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 08:26:12 -0600, "Kevin"
wrote:

Just curious... :-) It looks more like an ebay store front.

Riding cuts into posting time and I've lately been spending more
online time bantering in a local forum with people I know and on a
"social networking" site for bicyclists:
http://www.meandmybicycle.com/

My "new" bike is a work in progress. It's the sweetest looking kids'
bike for 20" wheels. The frame is a Canadian made "Free Spirit" with
a curved down tube and twined top tubes matching that curve. Kind of
like a mixte but the twin tubes stop at the seat tube. It has curved
seat stays too. It's really just a rusty POS right now.

I'm setting it up with a Sachs 3 spd. coaster brake hub, alloy rims
and a mini ape hanger to get enough rise. The only missing ingredient
is a 25mm seat post at least 50 cm long.

The plan is to finish it black and chrome with a front basket,
folding rear baskets, fenders, generator lights and flat pedals for
quick utility trips.
--
zk
Old April 12th 08, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
Tom Sherman writes:
Jay Bollyn wrote:
"Kevin" wrote in message
Just curious... :-) It looks more like an ebay store front.

Kevin

I guess you missed my RBT face plant thread?

I hope the Electra survived without damage.
I sing the bicycle Electra.
If you're feeling frowny,
get thee aboard a Townie.

I can't even begin to imagine wiping out
on one of those things.

Jay's model (lost by the Niles PD?) is/was an Amsterdam [1], not a
Townie: http://www.electrabike.com/amsterdam/.

I can't even begin to imagine wiping out
on one of those things either.

Not much different than wiping out on any other upright bicycle?

It's good to return home with uncompressed bread
and unbroken eggs.

No self-service checkout lanes?

Yeah, but up here we call it "shoplifting."

Here most of the newer and larger grocery stores in the US have lanes
where the customer can scan or weigh items, bag them, then pay by
inserting cash or with a debit or credit card.

Old April 13th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Kevin" wrote in message
Just curious... :-) It looks more like an ebay store front.

Kevin

nope.

J.

Old April 13th 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

Default BE there any bike related postings here anymore?

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 10:14:00 -0700, Jym Dyer wrote:

Maybe I'll paint the frame when (if) the weather becomes
conducive. I think I and the bike would like something
'60s-ish psychedelic.

=v= Beautiful Saturday and I'm sitting around waiting for
delivery of my "psycho lime" bike. (You can google the color.)

Yes. Most of us are probably out riding when we can.

=v= True enough. Others are spamming when they can, though. :-(
_Jym_

"There's a SEASON?"
-- Yehuda Moon

Spam already comes in a can.

My server has good filters so authors I see (or not, based on my
filters) are mainly OT: involved in on going ****ing contests, flames
and troll baiting by the regular experts at such, (mia culpa). Or,
they're in my watch file.

IIRC, Eric S. Sande and Peter Cole were the first people who
responded to my first posts in r.b.m. Many of the ideas presented
here, including yours, have influenced my thinking about cycling
protocols.

Online communication among local people who are likely to know each
other or meet in the future has a more civil tone but I dislike the
interface compared to plain text. A BBS would be better for me.

A picture is worth a thousand words so they use a lot of txt msg
spelling. Being moderated, as it must be to protect the host from
defamation hassles, makes for a tamer exchange than often times found
on Usenet. Fewer threads wander into far off-topic hostilities.

I found the Velolove list a little _too_ moderated with many OT
political/environmental posting hoping to mobilise cyclists for the
cause du jour.

Between the Momentum calendar and fixedvancouverdotcom, I can find a
ride anytime.
--
zk
Old April 13th 08, 05:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:

The front wheel rim is getting fairly worn,
so I might buy an whole new front wheel this
weekend. Since I'm doing 40 hour work weeks,
[re]building wheels eats into my precious riding
time. And maybe I'll look into obtaining either
a taller stem (one where the front brake cable
stop is an hole bored right through the thing)
or a riser handlebar.

Well, I bought a new front wheel today. Double-walled
rim. Set me back about $55, which is $15 more than
my rear wheel with the threaded hub. I asked the
guy at Our Community Bikes about long stems (I have
about a 6" drop from saddle to handlebar right now)
and he suggested I should come back next week when
they'll have a new line of super long ones in stock.

I also bought a Matisse Quickstand:
http://tinyurl.com/6qpfrt

http://preview.tinyurl.com/6qpfrt

URL in full:
{http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444261 81\49&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302694071}

It's basically just a display stand with a
little adjustablility, but I think I'll be able
to make good use of it. I like the simplicity
and compactness of it. One can kick it under
one's workbench and out of the way when it's
not in use.

It's another of those assemble-it-yourself thingies
and it didn't come with enough washers, so I've been
perfunctorily & half-heartedly rootin' through my
parts drawers, looking for do-fers. I'm not disheartened;
I just don't feel like assembling stuff right now.
Screw it, I'll just buy some washers from a hardware
store/home improvement shop tomorrow. Another excuse
for a ride, eh?

Maybe I should get around to installing the new wheel.
But first I wanna go over the bearings. I don't really
feel like doing that right now, either. Chances are
I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a compulsion
to take care of that.

And I impulse-purchased a pair of skull valve caps.
Actually, two pairs -- one pair's for a fellow rider/
cow orker with whom I trade cutsie dollar store junk.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
tkeats curlicue vcn dot bc dot ca

A bike related joke Craig Brossman Mountain Biking 10 March 26th 06 12:59 PM
Appropriate postings for this newsgroup Darrell Marketplace 4 January 3rd 06 07:14 PM
Stolen postings? Sheldon Brown Techniques 20 December 27th 05 04:56 PM
Postings From mm Johnny Draymen UK 26 November 22nd 05 07:46 PM
oh look. a bike-related thread! flyingdutch Australia 1 September 1st 04 07:49 AM