About Mike

Old February 6th 11, 03:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
marco

Default About Mike

No, I'm not a fat-assed googler who knows any more about him, but I
will say his recent responses have been reasonable and entertaining
and I do hope he posts to rbr more regularly, although without the I'm-
so-cool-'cause-I-got-9th-at-Bisbee attitude (*). I'm generally a
lurker and am always interested in stories related to lower-level US
bike racing (**). Define "lower-level" any way you want. E.g., To
amplify one of Mike's comments about letting another guy win out of
the break... absolutely that happens, as well it should. Guys sell
wins all... the... time, for example, but further, bike-racing
relationships go on for YEARS. There is a ton of quid pro quo going
on. If you're a wheelsuck and then sprint to win, it will bite you 10X
worse over the years. Having a level of respect in the bunch is really
important.

The thing that riled me up about Mike was his seemingly cavalier
attitude about ...and admission of... doping as a mid-level cat 1. I
still think doping as an amateur is pathetic and I have a visceral
reaction to it. Mike, if you're willing to post details about what you
did, I for one would be fascinated to read it. I mean things like
about how you decided to go that route, the environment you were in,
your teammates, how you felt it worked, how you felt about yourself,
etc., etc.... Pretty sure the statute-of-limitations has passed and
USADA probably doesn't read rbr anyway...

Mark
(*) - I know with certainty that there are some very accomplished bike
racers who lurk in rbr, as well as some who post, who would bust out
laughing at a comment like, "I was a pretty good bike racer, like 9th
at Bisbee and ****..." Just sayin'.
(**) - As opposed to, say, endless posts by Lafferty that parrot what
he learned that morning in the cn clinic about the LA investigation
from people who REALLY know what's going on and actually have a stake
in it.
Old February 6th 11, 10:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Feb 5, 9:42*pm, marco wrote:
[...]

What's to learn? This guy went from lame beginner to pathetic doper
and has more ego than conscience.

Everyone can meet ****s like that everywhere and one doesn't have to
prompt them to talk. They'll do it anyway - genuine ear rape.
Old February 6th 11, 11:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On Feb 6, 4:42*am, marco wrote:
[...]

This shows that you don't understand professional bicycle racing.

-ilan
Old February 6th 11, 11:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

ilan wrote:
"If you're a wheelsuck and then sprint to win, it will bite you 10X
worse over the years. Having a level of respect in the bunch is really
important."
This shows that you don't understand professional bicycle racing.

What about "lower-level US bike racing" don't you understand ?

Old February 6th 11, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

ilan wrote:

* "If you're a wheelsuck and then sprint to win, it will bite you 10X
* worse over the years. Having a level of respect in the bunch is really
* important."

This shows that you don't understand professional bicycle racing.

What about "lower-level US bike racing" don't you understand ?

That "respect in the bunch is really important".

-ilan
Old February 6th 11, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On Feb 6, 5:35*am, ilan wrote:

[...]

Isn't this what road sprinters do?
Old February 6th 11, 05:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

"Anton Berlin" wrote in message

=====
Isn't this what road sprinters do?
=====

If the climbers and rolleurs haven't figured out by their 3rd race that
they have to burn off the sprinters or be humiliated at the finish,
posting on rbr may be the high point of their life.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old February 6th 11, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Marco[_3_]

ilan wrote:

* "If you're a wheelsuck and then sprint to win, it will bite you 10X
* worse over the years. Having a level of respect in the bunch is really
* important."

This shows that you don't understand professional bicycle racing.

What about "lower-level US bike racing" don't you understand ?

That "respect in the bunch is really important".

-ilan

Haha... well you're right about one thing Ilan, the phrase "really
important" should never be used in context of bike racing,
particularly lower-level US bike racing! My point, which I believe was
similar to Mike's scenario, is having a level of respect can be
helpful to a rider over the course of a career. That might mean
occasionally giving up a win, though hopefully getting paid for it. Do
you not know that this happens? Alternatively, somebody who develops a
reputation for repeatedly shirking their share of work ...when the
situation suggests they should work... will make things worse for
himself in the longer run. Do you doubt that?
Old February 6th 11, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Amit Ghosh

On Feb 6, 5:30*am, Anton Berlin wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:42*pm, marco wrote:

What's to learn? *This guy went from lame beginner to pathetic doper
and has more ego than conscience.

Everyone can meet ****s like that everywhere and one doesn't have to
prompt them to talk. *They'll do it anyway - genuine ear rape.

dumbass,

mike is a lot more entertaining to read than your clumsy put downs.
Old February 6th 11, 08:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Feb 6, 2:38*pm, Marco wrote:
On Feb 6, 4:15*am, ilan wrote:

That "respect in the bunch is really important".

Of course it is. Your viewpoint seems to be focused on the top two or
three people with a chance at winning. There are usually a lot more
people in a race than that, and those people either get along, make
friends, get favors, have people willing to work with them, or don't.

If an asshole is on your team, everybody on that team will pay for it,
whether the guy is the top rider or a grunt.

Haha... well you're right about one thing Ilan, the phrase "really
important" should never be used in context of bike racing,
particularly lower-level US bike racing! My point, which I believe was
similar to Mike's scenario, is having a level of respect can be
helpful to a rider over the course of a career. That might mean
occasionally giving up a win, though hopefully getting paid for it. Do
you not know that this happens? Alternatively, somebody who develops a
reputation for repeatedly shirking their share of work ...when the
situation suggests they should work... will make things worse for
himself in the longer run. Do you doubt that?

All of that applies to life, not just on the bike. What goes around,
comes around. I've punished people that were unfair to other people,
just because I didn't like how they treated the other person. And
conversely, if I see someone I don't know do something nice for
another person I don't even know, I'll tell them that they did a nice
thing. It's rewarding and reinforcing good behavior.

Mike? Yoo-hoo, Mike!?! Moi-aussi Mountain Biking 43 July 14th 10 05:28 PM
Mike? Yoo-hoo, Mike!?! JimmyMac Social Issues 1 July 14th 10 05:28 PM
Mike Murray - See Blood Thinner Question Below - Mike Murray White Courtesy Phone - Calling Mike Murray, M.D. Leave It To Beaver Racing 0 April 13th 05 04:30 AM
Mike Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 5 March 13th 05 05:57 PM
MR Mike V. Tetsuo Shima Mountain Biking 21 June 1st 04 06:19 PM