Bike fitting

Old March 19th 04, 06:53 PM
Adam Bender

Default Bike fitting

I'm getting a new bike soon, and I've heard that I should take it to an
LBS to get it fitted for me. What does this usually entail, and is it
worth it?

Thanks,

Adam
Old March 19th 04, 08:42 PM
Harris

Adam Bender wrote:

I'm getting a new bike soon, and I've heard that I should take it to an
LBS to get it fitted for me. What does this usually entail, and is it
worth it?

You should make sure the bike is the right size for you BEFORE you buy it.
And that involves more than just being able to staddle the top tube.

A good fitting will include the following adjustments:

- Saddle (height, fore/aft, and tilt

- Handlebar/stem (reach and height relative to the saddle)

- Shoes/cleats

Handlebar adjustment may require replacing the stem.

Art Harris

Old March 20th 04, 12:42 AM
Ken

Harris wrote in news:KWI6c.8207
:
A good fitting will include the following adjustments:
- Saddle (height, fore/aft, and tilt
- Handlebar/stem (reach and height relative to the saddle)
- Shoes/cleats
Handlebar adjustment may require replacing the stem.

You may also need a new handlebar, seatpost, or saddle.
Old March 20th 04, 04:42 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm getting a new bike soon, and I've heard that I should take it to an
LBS to get it fitted for me. What does this usually entail, and is it
worth it?

The process is a whole lot better if you get fit from the same shop you get
the bike from. Less finger-pointing that way, and more likely that you'll
end up with a higher-quality machine, since it's likely the shop that cares
to do fitting correctly is probably doing a better job with the rest of the
bike as well.

A really good shop is going to do everything they can to keep that bike from
sitting in the garage. That includes recognizing that "fit" isn't always a
static thing that you can hit on once, adjust & forget. They're not going
to run away from you if you come back in and say "Hey, the bike's great, but
my shoulders hurt on longer rides" etc. Getting the bike from the right
place can make a huge difference in the bike's suitability for you, your
enjoyment, and its relative value.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

"Adam Bender" wrote in message

I'm getting a new bike soon, and I've heard that I should take it to an
LBS to get it fitted for me. What does this usually entail, and is it
worth it?

Thanks,

Adam

Secure Bike Parking.? M. Barbee General 14 January 6th 04 02:00 AM
my new bike Marian Rosenberg General 5 October 19th 03 03:00 PM
Single Speed Cruiser vs. Mountain/All Terrain Bike for Commuting? Luigi de Guzman General 2 August 21st 03 05:02 PM
Best Way to Travel with a Bike on an Airplane F1 General 5 August 14th 03 10:39 PM