%$!#-&*@

Old April 14th 05, 01:13 AM
warrwych

Default %$!#-&*@

Carl Brewer Wrote:[color=blue]

[color=green]

The people who win, only think about the leg they're doing RIGHT NOW.

I find that hard to believe, unless it's the last leg.
.

totally agree Carl. In my duathlon days/daze (coff coff) during th
first run, all I could think about was getting thru it and hopping o
the bike so I could catch the shpeedshtars who had just zipped awa
from me. When I got on the bike I all could think about was 1) catchin
and passing those runnergals 2) whilst saving enough in my legs to b
able to keep them away from me during the last run 3) putting as muc
distance between them and me so that if I fell in a heap in the fina
leg, I still had a chance of getting over the line in front of them.

So I was usually thinking one leg ahead of where I was. Its calle
planning and strategy - if you don't have it, you are running on luc
(or talent, which I dont have!!!) only

--
warrwych

Old April 14th 05, 01:21 AM
hippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
hippy wrote:

DaveB wrote:
Come on Tam, don't you even know the first name of your betrothed?

Doh! Don't remind her.. I'm not out of the country yet! :P

*slap*

Ow! Damn you have long arms girl!

Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

:P

hippy
Old April 14th 05, 01:56 AM
TimC

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 at 00:21 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
Tamyka Bell wrote:
Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

I see you have that swim bike thingy.

A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.
Old April 14th 05, 02:02 AM
Tamyka Bell

Carl Brewer wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 19:54:37 +1000, hippy
wrote:

Carl, I know you keep telling me to go into every race with a goal to
meet, and I typically do, but winning is still the only thing I'm
interested in. Win or lose. Win or lose. Win or lose. :S :P
It's a punishing schedule.

That's becase, for you at Glenvale, in the grade you're in,
that's an appropriate and realistic goal.

Ha ha ha now hippy won't be able to leave the country as his head won't
fit through the plane doors.

Tam
Old April 14th 05, 02:11 AM
Tamyka Bell

Carl Brewer wrote:

On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 11:22:11 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

It's not really practical though, because of:
1 wetsuits for cold-weather races, it'd be stupid to have to put them ON
as part of the race

Why not? It's no dumber than riding 180km in bathers and
wet shoes.

Who does that?

Do you stop and dry your feet before you get into your
riding shoes? Do yuo get any sand etc out from
between your toes? Do you give your crotch a decent toweling
before jumping on a bike and put on a good set of knicks? All the
tri's I have seen have been riding in what looks a lot like bathers
from a distance.

*ouch*

I dry my feet on the towel that all my gear is laid out on, unless it's
a shortcourse, then why would I bother. There's usually more grass than
sand, as transition is on a grassed area. I don't put on a good set of
knicks for 40km or less, my race suit has a small inbuilt chamois that
is softer and chafes less than a standard set of knicks anyway (which I
find too bulky, but that's probably a girl thing). For ironman, just
about everyone puts on a good set of knicks. Some people do shorter
stuff in swimsuits. I do shortcourse in just bathers when I'm too lazy
to dig out a race suit. It's not a problem for 20km. I personally find
that all knicks are a bit wide and I end up with chafing from the edges
of the chamois, so I prefer tri shorts/race suit.

Given that it takes bugger-all time to put on one of those
longjohn wetsuits, and everyone would have the same

How do you figure that? Most people take well over 5 minutes!

issue, what's the problem? Unless you have a vested
interest in tri's always finishing in a run?

I like it, because I think "Thank God I don't have to cycle anymore,
woohoo I get to run!" But if we were cycling last, I'd be thinking
"Woohoo, done all the fun, now it's time for the hard work." I think
cycle/run can be swapped easily but not a fan of swim out of sequence.
Also in hot weather, there would be a risk of people going into shock
upon hitting the water.

I'm actually doing a tri in a few weeks that is run/swim/bike/swim/run;
in an unheated pool, short course... my swim times will be appalling!

get reduced to a lot lower risk of those problems. You have to
supervise the whole swim course anyway, and if there's
a swimmer in difficulty I'd much rather pull them out when they're
not surrounded by 1,000 other swimmers. I'll be able to see them
for starters!

The swim staff would have to be in the water for about twice as long
though. In addition, I'm impressed that you got to be in a boat, because
at most events they're on boards.

I drove boats for SLSV for years, so my observation is
self selecting

I think that's a keyphrase of yours, isn't it :P

Plus, if you have to think about a swim leg while running or riding,
wouldn't that make it more interesting?

The people who win, only think about the leg they're doing RIGHT NOW.

I find that hard to believe, unless it's the last leg.

Nope. You have a race plan before you start, and you don't think about
anything else until you start. Cycle plan "go this pace, eat this food,
drink this fluid. If it's hotter do this. If it's colder do this. If it
hurts more than expected, do this." The next leg starts once you're
heading into transition. There's no point.

Do tris have roaming officials? Do they enforce the rules on the
spot by dragging anyone they see cheating?

Yep, there's penalty boxes you have to go and stand in for 5 minutes.
The officials hoon around on a motorbike. TA rules even have drafting
distances for the motorbike specified!

That's not suprising, you can't draft (although it happens)
support vehicles etc in road racing.

(Yeah, it's not surprising in road racing... but you have to admit it's
a bit surprising in triathlon...)

Tam
Old April 14th 05, 02:12 AM
Tamyka Bell

warrwych wrote:[color=blue]

Carl Brewer Wrote:[color=green]

The people who win, only think about the leg they're doing RIGHT NOW.

I find that hard to believe, unless it's the last leg.
.

totally agree Carl. In my duathlon days/daze (coff coff) during the
first run, all I could think about was getting thru it and hopping on
the bike so I could catch the shpeedshtars who had just zipped away
from me. When I got on the bike I all could think about was 1) catching
and passing those runnergals 2) whilst saving enough in my legs to be
able to keep them away from me during the last run 3) putting as much
distance between them and me so that if I fell in a heap in the final
leg, I still had a chance of getting over the line in front of them.

So I was usually thinking one leg ahead of where I was. Its called
planning and strategy - if you don't have it, you are running on luck
(or talent, which I dont have!!!) only.

--
warrwych

But the fact is, in duathlon, you're racing against yourself. In which
case it doesn't matter what the others are doing. Your top speed is your
top speed. So if you plan it beforehand, allowing for improvements or
stuff ups on the day, then you don't have to worry about it during the
race. At least until transition.

Tam
Old April 14th 05, 02:13 AM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

Tamyka Bell wrote:
hippy wrote:

DaveB wrote:
Come on Tam, don't you even know the first name of your betrothed?

Doh! Don't remind her.. I'm not out of the country yet! :P

*slap*

Ow! Damn you have long arms girl!

No I don't. I have short arms. Pain in the bum for boxing, trapeze, etc.

Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

:P

hippy

Curses, foiled again!
Old April 14th 05, 02:16 AM
Tamyka Bell

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

I see you have that swim bike thingy.

A mouse is a device used to focus xterms.

They're expensive. It'd be cheaper to fly.

Tam
Old April 14th 05, 02:48 AM
Carl Brewer

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:11:12 +1000, Tamyka Bell
wrote:

Given that it takes bugger-all time to put on one of those
longjohn wetsuits, and everyone would have the same

How do you figure that? Most people take well over 5 minutes!

I can put on a 5/7mm diving semidry in 5 minutes, and that's
got 4 zips, ankle and neck gussets that have to be folded
so they seal etc. To get into a super-stretchy 2-3mm longjohn
would be a -heck- of a lot faster. It takes me longer to get
ready for a ride than to get into my diving gear.

Also in hot weather, there would be a risk of people going into shock
upon hitting the water.

As opposed to them cooking during the run or ride?

I drove boats for SLSV for years, so my observation is
self selecting

I think that's a keyphrase of yours, isn't it :P

Plus, if you have to think about a swim leg while running or riding,
wouldn't that make it more interesting?

The people who win, only think about the leg they're doing RIGHT NOW.

I find that hard to believe, unless it's the last leg.

Nope. You have a race plan before you start, and you don't think about
anything else until you start. Cycle plan "go this pace, eat this food,
drink this fluid. If it's hotter do this. If it's colder do this. If it
hurts more than expected, do this." The next leg starts once you're
heading into transition. There's no point.

Herein is my problem with tris (and ITTs in general). Where's
the race tactics? There's a whole missing dimension - you're
just racing against your heartrate monitor and a clock.

Surely there'd be times when you would have to think that
now is maybe a good time to hurt my competitors, so that
they'll crack and won't bother to chase me down if I get a
good lead etc. You don't ever think that during a tri? You
just do your thing at MSS and that's it? Having done
a couple (badly!) of ITTs on the bike (and hating them!)
I know that even in that environment there's some tactics
involved (more motivational than anything else really calculating)
when you're catching someone, or getting overtaken it can change
your effort. I'm no TT'er, so I guess I wasn't going as hard as I
could have been so I had some headroom to push harder
when I got overtaken. Urgh, TT's are for training rides ... yuk

Do tris have roaming officials? Do they enforce the rules on the
spot by dragging anyone they see cheating?

Yep, there's penalty boxes you have to go and stand in for 5 minutes.
The officials hoon around on a motorbike. TA rules even have drafting
distances for the motorbike specified!

That's not suprising, you can't draft (although it happens)
support vehicles etc in road racing.

(Yeah, it's not surprising in road racing... but you have to admit it's
a bit surprising in triathlon...)

Not at all if there's cameras or officials traveling with the race,
and the riders know how to suck a tiny bit extra from a
draft

Old April 14th 05, 02:53 AM
hippy

Tamyka Bell wrote:
Tam swims bikes runs away

hippy rides alongside, wondering why Tam chose such a difficult escape

I see you have that swim bike thingy.

Yes, well, when I saw the post on rising air travel costs and noted my
one-way ticket, I thought it appropriate that I have some means of
escaping the UK..

hippy