Locking gear bag?

Old November 7th 05, 01:09 AM
Adam Bender

Default Locking gear bag?

I'd like to carry some gear around on my commuter bike (lights, tools,
tube), so the natural solution is to buy a seat wedge bag and be done
with it. But I leave my bike locked up a lot, and don't want the stuff
inside (or the bag itself) stolen. Does anyone know of any solutions to
this problem? I'm thinking a luggage lock on the zippers, and cutting
holes for a large padlock that stays inside the bag but the clasp goes
around the seatpost. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, waterproof is a huge plus.

Thanks,

Adam
Old November 7th 05, 01:50 AM
Marz

Take the bag with you when you lock up. I've seen a few seat wedge bags
that are quick release and seem to work quite well. Also all bags are
canvas and 2 seconds with a box cutter and what ever is in there is
gone, doesn't matter how much you lock the zipper or padlock the bag to
the bike.
When I used to commute and locking my bike up for the day it was off
with the front light, off with computer, off with the rear light, off
with the tool bag and pump, off with the front wheel and lock it to the
back, off with the seatpost (quick release again) and lock that to the
back wheel too. Then lock the whole lot up to something sturdy making
sure the lock passes through both wheels and the frame.

Take easy

Marz

Old November 7th 05, 03:47 AM
Ron Wallenfang

Is this really a problem? Over the years, I've had three bikes stolen that
i can recall (the first in1969, so that the time frame is set), but never
had anything taken out of my bike bags. What do I carry? - enough tools to
fix flats, a set of allyn wrenches, a couple extra tubes, CO2 cartridges, a
cheap raincoat, a reflector vest, a tail light, riding gloves, and a
carrying bag for stuff going to and from work. Nothing there that really
interests the average thief. On long trips, add clothing and toiletries,
and misc maps, camera, log book, sunscreen etc. Again, no problem.

When I carried traveler's checks years ago, I'd put those in a backpack I
also use on long trips. But with ATMs, that day has passed and so long as
my wallet isn't stolen, there really isn't much of value other than the bike
itself.

Have others on this NG had theft problems, other than having the whole bike
stolen?

Old November 7th 05, 04:08 AM
Mike Kruger

"Ron Wallenfang" wrote in message
Is this really a problem? Over the years, I've had three bikes stolen
that i can recall (the first in1969, so that the time frame is set), but
never had anything taken out of my bike bags.

During my daughter's college career (luckily only 4 years!), she had the bag
underneath her seat with tube, patch kit, and levers emptied twice. They
didn't take the bag itself, so this was probably a quick crime of
convenience. The thief must have hoped for more than what they got. But then
again, she had 3 bikes stolen, all old ones. The best of the 3 bikes was an
old Specialized she paid $40 for.

I haven't had any problems, myself, but I think it's very much where you
park your bike. If you get too picky about where you are willing to park
your bike, you won't bike as many places.

As others have noted, there are a lot of bags that are easily detatchable.

Old November 7th 05, 04:54 AM
Ben Pfaff

"Ron Wallenfang" writes:

Have others on this NG had theft problems, other than having the whole bike
stolen?

I've had pumps stolen. I've had attempts at removing my bike
bags, but they've always stopped at the point where the potential
thieves could see that they were locked to the bike with
mini-padlocks. Friends have had saddles and seat tubes stolen (I
also keep a saddle rail mini-padlocked to the frame with a steel
cable to frustrate that).
--
Ben Pfaff
email:
Old November 7th 05, 02:30 PM
Marz

Ron Wallenfang wrote:
Is this really a problem?

It was for me back in London, you can't leave anything unlocked for
more than 30 seconds or someone will swipe it.

Old November 7th 05, 02:55 PM
Claire Petersky

"Adam Bender" wrote in message
I'd like to carry some gear around on my commuter bike (lights, tools,
tube), so the natural solution is to buy a seat wedge bag and be done with
it. But I leave my bike locked up a lot, and don't want the stuff inside
(or the bag itself) stolen. Does anyone know of any solutions to this
problem? I'm thinking a luggage lock on the zippers, and cutting holes
for a large padlock that stays inside the bag but the clasp goes around
the seatpost. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, waterproof is a huge plus.

A handlebar bag would solve your problems. They just snap on and off. It had
a shoulder strap, so it was a sort of make-shift purse when I was off the
bike. I used one for a long time, but found the bag got in the way of the
lamp on the handlebars. YMMV.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
See the books I've set free at:

Old November 7th 05, 05:01 PM
Eric Babula

"Ron Wallenfang" wrote in
:

[...]

I park my bike in downtown Milwaukee. I used to leave a couple things in
my handlebar bag (50 cents and a roll of electrical tape - why? I don't
know). One day, the money and the roll of tape were gone.

That same week, a co-worker had $1.00 stolen from his seat bag, that he
used to keep for emergencies.

If it's there, they will steal it.

I pretty much take everything with me, now, excluding the handlebar bag,
rack and rear light (screwed on).

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Old November 7th 05, 05:09 PM
gds

Am I missing something? If it is a cloth bag it can be easily cut. So
locking the zipper and or locking the bag to the bike is pretty
useless. I think that the posters who suggest simply removing the bag
and taking it with you have the right idea.

Old November 7th 05, 05:27 PM
Paul Hobson

Adam Bender wrote:
I'd like to carry some gear around on my commuter bike (lights, tools,
tube), so the natural solution is to buy a seat wedge bag and be done
with it. But I leave my bike locked up a lot, and don't want the stuff
inside (or the bag itself) stolen. Does anyone know of any solutions to
this problem? I'm thinking a luggage lock on the zippers, and cutting
holes for a large padlock that stays inside the bag but the clasp goes
around the seatpost. Any suggestions? Oh yeah, waterproof is a huge plus.

Thanks,

Adam

I just keep everything that I don't want to lose in my backpack (except
for the bike and helmet, which are locked, obviously).

\\paul