Cycling socks

Old July 26th 04, 04:07 PM
Adam Bender

Default Cycling socks

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What advantages
do they provide?

Thanks,

Adam
Old July 26th 04, 04:43 PM
gooserider

"Adam Bender" wrote in message

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What advantages
do they provide?

Cycling socks made with a wicking fabric like Coolmax get moisture away from
your feet.

Old July 26th 04, 10:15 PM
KD

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:07:49 -0400 (EDT), Adam Bender
wrote:

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What advantages
do they provide?

Thanks,

Adam

Generally speaking, cycling socks are NOT made of cotton, they are
made of a wicking material, such as CoolMax (r) or wool. Most also are
'vented' along the top (bridge) of the foot.

Plus, you can get cool designs on cycling socks. :-D

Ken

Old July 27th 04, 03:55 AM
-

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:07:49 -0400, Adam Bender wrote:

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What advantages
do they provide?

You can find "normal" cotton (or maybe cotton blend) cycling socks, too.
They're just like regular ol' athletic socks, only 1/4 length. I find them
quite comfortable, and they're much less expensive than all those cycling
socks with cute graphics. Of course, they don't _have_ cute graphics,
which is important to some people (and I'm not trying to pass judgment --
to each her own, I say...)

--AMG
Old July 27th 04, 04:07 AM
Claire Petersky

"Adam Bender" wrote in message

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What advantages
do they provide?

I am very fond of the smartwool trail runner (not their bicycling) socks for
long-distance bicycling, year-round. The thickness prevents burning pain on
longer rides.

Short distances, I use the normal, quick-wicking cycling socks. Yes, you can
get them with neato designs, but the real reason to wear them over cotton is
that they stay dry even when your feet sweat.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Old July 27th 04, 04:11 AM
Pat

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What

advantages
do they provide?

You can find "normal" cotton (or maybe cotton blend) cycling socks, too.
They're just like regular ol' athletic socks, only 1/4 length. I find them
quite comfortable, and they're much less expensive than all those cycling
socks with cute graphics. Of course, they don't _have_ cute graphics,
which is important to some people (and I'm not trying to pass judgment --
to each her own, I say...)

--AMG

I love cycling socks for the structure and the fit. I try to buy them out of
season for about $4 per pair. Right now, I have a Rudolph pair and a Santa
Claus pair that I wear when I ride. Oh, and of course 3 pairs of "Texas"
socks.

Pat in TX

Old July 27th 04, 02:40 PM
the black rose

- wrote:
On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:07:49 -0400, Adam Bender wrote:

How are cycling socks different than normal cotton socks? What advantages
do they provide?

You can find "normal" cotton (or maybe cotton blend) cycling socks, too.

Hmm, I'm gonna have to look around for these. I've been using just your
regular thin cotton socks because I can't wear synthetics next to my skin.

-km

--
the black rose
proud to be owned by a yorkie

Old July 27th 04, 03:34 PM
Terry Morse

the black rose wrote:

I've been using just your
regular thin cotton socks because I can't wear synthetics next to my skin.

If you don't like synthetics, merino wool cycling socks are a comfy
alternative. They're squishy, they don't get as soggy as cottton,
and they are very soft. I buy SmartWool socks when they go on sale
at sierratradingpost.com.

If you don't mind socks with a logo, REI have their merino socks on
sale (sorry about the long URL, tinyurl.com isn't responding):

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...=8000&catalogI
d=40000008000&productId=12055839&parent_category_r n=4500792

Old July 27th 04, 05:10 PM
Badger_South

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:34:59 -0700, Terry Morse wrote:

the black rose wrote:

I've been using just your
regular thin cotton socks because I can't wear synthetics next to my skin.

If you don't like synthetics, merino wool cycling socks are a comfy
alternative. They're squishy, they don't get as soggy as cottton,
and they are very soft. I buy SmartWool socks when they go on sale
at sierratradingpost.com.

If you don't mind socks with a logo, REI have their merino socks on
sale (sorry about the long URL, tinyurl.com isn't responding):

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Prod...=8000&catalogI
d=40000008000&productId=12055839&parent_category_ rn=4500792

I'm not sure of the material, but UnderArmour has a brand of socks that are
low-rise (to top of shoe), and they're only $15 bucks for four pair. I've
been wearing them for about 3 months, and am still on the first two pair,
and they look almost brand new. IOW, very little wear.

When I get home from a ride, I just dunk 'em in some soapy water and the
ring out and they're dry in a short while, plus never wet when riding, even
with copious sweating.

-B
....and they are black. ;-p