I was misled

Old June 25th 04, 10:25 PM
Pete

Default Clarification

"Pete" wrote in message
.. .

"Kevan Smith" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:37:23 GMT, "Pete" from Road Runner

High
Speed Online http://www.rr.com wrote:

"Kevan Smith" wrote

It's not like it matters. Both men are comitted to continuing the

illegal
occupation of Iraq, heaping more misery on a country which should by
rights be
getting reparations payments instead. Bush shouldn't be President; he
should
be in the dock for war crimes. This Iraq War is a great national

shame.

You mean the UN sanctioned "illegal occupation" put in place after GW

I?

Do not mislead people. The war was never "UN Sanctioned," and there

wasn't
an
occupation until after the war. Pete, I'm ashamed for you. I know you

know
better than to lie like that to cover for Bush.

The comment was on the 'continuing the illegal occupation' part.

Which 'occupation' are we talking about continuing?

Pete

When I read the original posts, it seemed that the 'continuing the illegal
occupation' comment related to starting the current action to continue some
previous illegal occupation.

Maybe I skimmed through it too fast, maybe I misread it. If, in fact, it
only refers to continuing the *current* armed action, then I fully retract
my "UN sanctioned" statement, and let's move on.

Pete
one of the hazards of text only communication from afar.

Old June 25th 04, 10:43 PM
Pete

Default I was misled

"Kevan Smith" wrote

Easy solutions? No, you are right. There are none. Hard, but moral and

fair
solutions? Well, the following steps would be a good start:

1) The immediate withdrawal of all occupation troops from Iraq and from a
buffer zone around its borders.

There seems to be two major factions in Iraq. One that only wants peace, and
to be left alone to rebuild and maybe start a democracy of some sort. The
other apparently wants to incite a civil war, hoping they come out on top.

If all non-Iraqi troops pull out, can the Iraqi Prime Minister protect his
own ass, much less the rest of the country?

2) The immediate resignation of Bush and his top administration officials,
particularly Cheney Rumsfeld, Rice, Powell and Wolfowitz. They should

turn
themselves in to the Hague for eventual trial as war criminals. (Blair and
other top Brits shoudl join them.) The constitutional crisis this would

cause
is no greater than the current one of a sitting President waging an

illegal
war based on cooked evidence. In some ways, it is less, because we have
procedures for replacing office holders.

No comment.

3) The suspension of all activities of non-Iraqi corporations in Iraq,

with
special attention paid to energy companies. The goal here is to return to

the
Iraqi people what rightfully belongs to them -- their treasure.

They can't have their rightful treasure if the insurgents are left alone to
blow it up.

4) The immediate start of unconditional reparations payments. Iraq starts
fixing things themselves, they give us a bill, we pay it. No questions.

You remember, though, that this current action is the final actions in a
conflict that started in 1990. Bush/Blair/Clinton/Major/Chirac shouldn't be
held responsible for what Saddam caused. After Mar 19, 2003, all bets are
off. That IS the responsibility of Bush & Blair.

Prior to that, talk to Saddam.

Pete

Old June 25th 04, 11:17 PM
Mark Hickey

(JP) wrote:

My guess is that if Putin did tell Bush
something, the *whole* story is actually embarassing so Bush can't use
it- maybe something like, Putin told Bush that Iraq was making plans
to attack the US with terrorists if we invaded Iraq.

Heh... I can always count on you to brew up new and increasingly
fanciful conspiracy theories...

If you'd rather form an opinion unencumbered by the facts, by all
means follow the links to the propaganda that Jobst posted.

You wouldn't know a fact if it smacked you in the face. Jobst's post
references the St. Petersburg Times and San Francisco Chronicle, and
they reference a response by Tampa International Airport to the 9/11
Commission. Jobst's article is thoroughly footnoted. There are no
holes in it. The flight happened.

So stop lying and trying to say it didn't.

So you're saying the St. Pete Times and the SF Chronical maintain the
"daily.misleader.org" website. LOL.

If you'd rather actually know what's going on, I'd suggest starting
with an unbiased compilation like the Drudge Report (recently
determined to be by far less biased than any other news source that
was analyzed). That becomes pretty obvious when you see it...

www.drudgereport.com

Amazing. Drudge is a rumor-monger. Some times he is right, often he is
wrong.

Thing is, you get the whole story - both sides. For some reason, that
approach seems to be total anathema to many liberals. I suppose it's
easier to go through life not hearing anything that contradicts your
preconceived notions - but personally I would hate to appear that
naive when discussing the issues in public.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old June 25th 04, 11:19 PM
Mark Hickey

wrote:

Bill Sorni writes:

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1310344&l=42227

"So we have an obligation of enormous consequence, an obligation to
guarantee that Saddam Hussein cannot ignore the United Nations. He
cannot be permitted to go unobserved and unimpeded toward his
horrific objective of amassing a stockpile of weapons of mass
destruction. This is not a matter about which there should be any
debate whatsoever in the Security Council, or, certainly, in this
Nation."

John Kerry on Senate floor, 11/9/97.

Yes??? And this was in respect to what? This was not a call to
invade Iraq as you can see from the text. It was a call for the UN
intervention and inspections.

Exactly. Kerry states that there should be "no debate" about the
existence of a "stockpile of weapons of mass destruction" in Iraq.

However, he would wait for the UN to take action (which as we now know
would NEVER happen since they were on Saddam's payroll), or you have a
president who will do what needs to be done, regardless of the
political posturing of France and Germany.

I know which I prefer. Come November, we'll find out if I'm in the
minority or majority.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old June 25th 04, 11:35 PM
Mark Hickey

wrote:

Scott Johnson writes:

http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1310344&l=42227

Wow, maybe I should start posting press releases from the RNC.

What is it that irritates you so about factual reporting. Maybe you
could point out where there are errors in this report. Facts contrary
to ones beliefs are often so disconcerting that they are suppressed.

Heh. Jobst probably believes Michael Moore's film is a "documentary"
too... LOL. Why not, so does the Democrat Party. LOL again.

If a the son of a Saudi prince (there are a LOT of Saudi princes, BTW)
flew out of Tampa or not on 9/13 is hardly a question that's going to
cause me to lose any sleep, no matter what that bastion of
journalistic integrity (the New York Times) says. I read the
articles, and there's no link to the White House other than some
blatant speculation on the part of those who don't really know. I
don't think the Tampa Police Department has one of those cool red
phones connected directly to GWB's desk. Just a guess.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old June 26th 04, 12:25 AM
di

wrote in message
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1310344&l=42227

Jobst Brandt

You're are still misled

Old June 26th 04, 01:26 AM
Mike Kruger

"Top Sirloin" wrote in message
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1310344&l=42227

Wow, maybe I should start posting press releases
from the RNC.

Please, no.
I get both the Democratic and Republican party press released sent to an
e-mail address set up for that purpose. It's pretty funny to read them, one
party right after each other.

One virtue is that I realize the party I more often agree with is probably
spinning just as hard as the party I generally disagree with. I just can't
see it as well, because it looks like truth to me and I don't mentally
counter-argue against it.

Old June 26th 04, 02:21 AM

Mark Hickey writes:

Thing is, you get the whole story - both sides. For some reason,
that approach seems to be total anathema to many liberals. I
suppose it's easier to go through life not hearing anything that
contradicts your preconceived notions - but personally I would hate
to appear that naive when discussing the issues in public.

Wait a minute! You are describing GWB who does not listen to any
advisor who conflicts with his perception of what is going on. That's
how he got us into the war and can't and won't get out even though the
rest of civilized nations urge that course. This is the main thread
of the current administration, to not accept information that goes
against their vision... Iraqis will welcome us with open arms, etc.

Jobst Brandt

Old June 26th 04, 02:46 AM
Pat

it is just as misleading to suggest that one should get ALL of his "facts"
and news from Drudge as it is from any other source. We should all be
reading everything we can so that tunnel vision doesn't ensue. For example,
you might want to add this site to your reading:

www.factcheck.org

pat in TX

Old June 26th 04, 06:01 AM
Pete

"Kevan Smith" wrote

The Iraqi Prime Minister was chosen by occupation authorities and has no
legitimate democratic basis for holding power. I would hope he would step

down
rather than inflame civil war and/or becoming another Iraqi tyrant by
stubornly holding on to illegitimate power.

Not quite...he is merely an interim guy. There only to help stabilize
things, and hopefully see through the process of holding valid elections.

But whomever it might be, whether supported by Bush/Blair or not, would be a
target. Now that the overall controlling figure, Saddam, is gone, that
country is ripe for an all out civil war. The only thing holding it back
(partially) is the presence of foreign troops. Even that may not be enough.

How do you conduct a 'fair' election when police stations are being blown
up? Or the government offices in Bagdad? How safe do you think a polling
place would be? Would you go vote?

They won't blow it up if it belongs to the Iraqi people instead of
profiteering foreigners.

Bull. A lot of those people doing the blowing up are there *only* to blow
stuff up. They are not Iraqi, nor do they care about 'the Iraqi people'.

They are looking to shame us into leaving (see Spain), and carving out a
piece of what is left. To the detriment of 'the Iraqi people'.

4) The immediate start of unconditional reparations payments. Iraq

starts
fixing things themselves, they give us a bill, we pay it. No questions.

You remember, though, that this current action is the final actions in a
conflict that started in 1990. Bush/Blair/Clinton/Major/Chirac shouldn't

be
held responsible for what Saddam caused. After Mar 19, 2003, all bets are
off. That IS the responsibility of Bush & Blair.

OK, you have a point. And an opening for the lawyers.

[unsnip]
And Saddam being responsible for any- and everything pre-March 2003

Pete
anyway...I'm out a for a couple of weeks. Being Mr. Mom, Grandad, and Mr.
Construction Guy, with self-limited net access.
Riding every day, and hauling the grandkids around in a trailer.