buying my first road bike

Old October 5th 03, 03:20 AM
Eric S. Sande

Default buying my first road bike

Does this sound like a reasonable deal?

It sounds reasonable to me.

I worry much that the bike store is inconvenient located for
service.

That could be a problem. Is there someplace closer that you feel
good about?

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old October 5th 03, 04:55 AM
Frederic Briere

Tanya Quinn wrote:
http://www.devinci.com/eng/modele200...lo/caribou.htm
Its a 2002 model on sale for 1379 Canadian (dunno what the exchange is

Good for you! (You've basically got the same frame as me, but with
components one notch higher -- 105 vs. Tiagra, Deore LX vs. Deore, etc.)

There is a triple chain ring and a really wide range of gears from 11
to 34. The shifters are Shimano 105 STI. The guy at this shop seemed

Yes, the rear cogset is quite nice, but I wonder why most touring bikes
come with the ubiquitous 30-42-52. Although I don't run out of gears
when unloaded, if I were pulling a load I'm sure I'd appreciate a 26 or
24 in front.

The frame is hand made aluminum, the L size seemed a good fit after

Okay, this I have to sha until I read that, I was sure that the frame
was steel. Don't laugh! The specs only list the fork material, and I
must've read it as the frame material or something. (Not that it
matters much to me anyway.)

(specs on the link) Should I worry much that the bike store is
inconvenient located for service (1 year is included) or will I not
have much to worry about the first year?

Depends on how much of a tinkerer you are. If you feel comfortable
adjusting the derailleurs, brakes and saddle, you can gradually tweak
you bike as you see fit, without having to drag it to the store each
time. If not, things like not-so-smooth shifting and squealing brakes
may be more bothersome to you. (Think of it as an opportunity to learn
how to do this stuff yourself.)

Do you plan to patronize this store? (Maybe they're giving you a rebate
over everything you buy there for the next X months. Maybe they'll
install whatever you buy free of charge.) Convenience is a nice thing
in a LBS.

FWIW, I've never had to bring the bike back to the store, although I was
seriously tempted when it started squeaking intermittently a few weeks
back. (I traced it back to a rear derailleur pulley that probably
wasn't adequately lubricated when the bike was assembled.) The
derailleurs did need some fine-tuning before I could shift smoothly,
which I didn't mind doing myself (even though it would've been free).

I'm thinking of bringing it to the store once before winter, to make
sure the wheels are true and properly tensioned. But aside from that,
I didn't need anything that I couldn't do myself.

--
Frederic Briere *

= IS NO MO http://www.abacomsucks.com =
Old October 5th 03, 12:40 PM
mark freedman

Once more into the breach ...

From: "Tanya Quinn"

You might want another Email address, this one
is still unusable. You may be able to set up filters
which direct SWEN to TRASH, and some ISP's empty the
trash every 24 hours. IMO They should allow filters to
immediately reject mail.

Old October 5th 03, 12:47 PM
Slider2699

"Sorni" wrote in message
"Tanya Quinn" wrote in message
om...
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

The Specialized Sequoia might be to your liking, as they have two sets

of
break handles, above the drops and on the top...

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkFami...m3go4fr.j27004

The Sequioa have comfort features built in which you may appreciate.

Ah I must point out that Specialized seems to have a twisted concept
of comfort when it comes to their Body Geometry saddles. I bought one
on the weekend to replace my current worn out seat (foam had come out
of it) And so far painful.. I'm hoping that breaking it in more will
help. It looks like these saddles are on the Sequoia, do you like the
saddle on yours?

FWIW, I tried an early version of the BG saddles years ago, and found the
same as you: TORTURE DEVICE!

Yet others I know love 'em.

Go figure.

Bill "different seats for different seats" S.

I'd be one of the masochists who like BG saddles, I guess. I ride a BG Pro
Ti, and it's the most comfortable saddle I've had.

Old October 6th 03, 11:49 PM
Tanya Quinn

(mark freedman) wrote in message . com...
What exactly do you like about it ?

I liked the way it rode, I guess I just felt an affinity with the bike
as well Felt fast. Seems like it would be versatile as well - with
different tires could try out a race perhaps.

OTTOMH The Fuji has slightly lower component group and
a steel frame, for a few hundred dollars less (rregular
price, don't know what clear-outs are available)

I notice on urbane's web site they have Fuji Ace for 780 but haven't
gotten a chance to check it out, the components were all Sora I
believe.

So I'm not quite sure what is better about steel. This bike had
aluminum frame and steel fork. Stronger, lighter, faster - those all
seem like good attributes of aluminum.

Looking at the specs, the top tube is VERY long (what
length/rise is the standard stem ?). And tire clearance
is 700*35 max, no indication whether that's with fenders.

There was tons of clearance when I checked out the bike. I think the
salesperson said I could put 4x normal size tires there. The reach
felt reasonable with a shorter stem.

Its a 2002 model on sale for 1379 Canadian

IMO That's no bargain. New Mikado D'Iberville lists at $1500
Dealers clear out stock for 30% off. Touring bikes aren't a big
seller - small demand, small stock, so finding the right bike
being cleared is a matter of luck.

If anyone knows any Toronto dealers selling touring bikes at 30% off
list let me know. I certainly haven't seen any deals.

I looked at the DeVinci when I was shopping 4 years ago,
I believe it was being cleared for $800, I wanted a steel frame
and a threaded headset and .....

There is also a less expensive Devinci touring bike (Destination?)

The Marinoni Turismo (steel) with Campagnolo Mirage costs
about $1500. A very different bike, but an idea what's available
at that price point.

I've been meaning to try the Marinoni's - I think La Bicicletta has
them. I believe $1500 was the price for the lower end touring bike by
them when I wandered in there a while back but didn't test ride as I
wasn't dressed for it - I was on foot and went in the store for some
directions as I was lost.

The guy at this shop seemed more knowledgable
than the previous LBS guy.

Good. Sometimes it's hard to tell bluff from knowledge.

True. He was the owner of the store, and (at least he said and I have
no reason to doubt) used to be a racer, and uses Devinci touring bikes
for his own touring.

IMO Too much hassle for insufficient savings. You can
buy a similar bike locally, and if you find a REAL clear-out
price you could save hundreds of dollars.

"Let your fingers do the walking."

I find it hard when buying anything in Toronto to find salespeople
that are genuinely helpful, and where stores have reasonable prices.
After buying some components at too-high markups from my local local
bike store I've avoided them like the plague.

Image of Vulcan pounding away at his forge.
Hard to hammer out those teardrop-shaped downtubes :-)

I'm trying to find some reviews of the Devinci bike online but only
found one. Do they have an okay reputation in general?

A purely subjective comment, Mikado replaced the broken
steel frame with their newest aluminium frame. Similar geometry,
same tires (32's). It amplifies noises (e.g. shifting) and it beats
the ^%$# out of me on bumps. Plus the vibration. Don't even ASK
about the vibration. Lower tire pressures may compensate.

Would the steel fork and suspension set post help as well?

the L size seemed a good fit after they swapped in a shorter stem,

How short a stem ? That top tube is VERY long, I have no
idea what your measurements are, I looked at Trek's woman
specific geometry (compared to the men's modles) and TT
seems to be an inch shorter on the WSD.

Is there a site that I can go to that suggests sizes of TT etc based
on measurements? I realize LBS's do fitting as well, and the guy at
this shop said that the bike was a good fit for me but didn't back it
up.

Lots of those around. If you lived in Elbonia. where the
General Store / Pharmacy / Gas Station / Hospital / etc.
was also the bike shop, there'd be some justification in
buying out of town. In Toronto, there are so many bike shops,
some actually competent, that it just doesn't make sense.
Especially at that price.

Which ones? Dukes was the place I went first and I was not that
impressed, and they certainly didn't have any touring bike deals.
(cheapest was 1599)

Does this sound like a reasonable deal?

What's the list price ?
What's the normal selling price ?
What's the discount?

List I think was 1670. Another online Cdn bike shop has the same bike
for 1499 as their "clearout" price.

If it was a huge savings, it might justify some hassle (having
to get it serviced at a LBS instead of the selling dealer). But
that price seems about right for a brand new comparable model.

Do LBS normally sell less than list?

The components seem good?

Nice components. Nice tires. Long top tube, maximum
tire size 35 and it doesn't say if that's with fenders.

I think its a bigger maximum tire size.

I saw the Devinci Caribou at Duke's, but that was 4 years ago,
and they couldn't sell it, so may have dropped the line. I have no
idea who carries it locally, or how they'd feel about honouring
the warranty for a bike bought elsewhere.

Urbane is supposedly a Devinci dealer, I should check them out. Why do
you think they couldn't sell it? Was the bike not a good bike 4 years
ago? I really doubt I'd have warranty problems and if I did no problem
I guess taking the bike there (excuse to visit people..) I just don't
want to have to take it there frequently.

Take your time, "now is the winter of our discontent," I doubt
you'll be riding the new/shiny through the slush and salt.

Hey its supposed to be 23+ C later this week, I want to enjoy the nice
weather Plus there should be about 2 months before any salt
happens. And then as soon as the road thaws new/shiny is already there

Old October 18th 03, 08:36 AM
Frederic Briere

Tanya Quinn wrote:
So I'm not quite sure what is better about steel. This bike had
aluminum frame and steel fork. Stronger, lighter, faster - those all
seem like good attributes of aluminum.

Lots of things have been said for and against each material; feel free
to Google for the numerous threads on this subject.

I'll only point out that the top tube is larger than on a steel frame,
which could be a problem if you want to hang a pump there. (I finally
got my Zefal HPX to stay put with a nylon strap around the head tube.)

Looking at the specs, the top tube is VERY long (what
length/rise is the standard stem ?). And tire clearance
is 700*35 max, no indication whether that's with fenders.

There was tons of clearance when I checked out the bike. I think the
salesperson said I could put 4x normal size tires there. The reach
felt reasonable with a shorter stem.

FYI, I have 32s with fenders, and there's plenty of clearance.

Hey its supposed to be 23+ C later this week, I want to enjoy the nice
weather Plus there should be about 2 months before any salt

Would you believe I spent that weekend indoors? (I did make up for it
on Monday, though.)

Old June 17th 10, 10:42 AM
mischastar mischastar is offline
Member

You have a huge choice if you're not that fussy!!

With your price range I would probably go for a Specialized! I absolutely love these bikes and they are pretty robust so will last you a long time. You can get the Specialized Langster or Globe for about that price and they are fantastic bikes to get around on.

I would definitely recommend going down and trying it in the shop if you wish to get it properly fitted.