Biking w/o Cindy Sheehan

Old August 26th 05, 01:57 AM
gwhite

Default Biking w/o Cindy Sheehan

" wrote:

Irony of fate is like dramatic irony, but without a play -
when Fate plays you for a fool in real life. One verbal way
to do this is to place yourself in the role of Oedipus, making
an utterance whose contradictory nature only those around you
can see. This is what Schwartz claimed Greg was doing.

I view it as being about cutting one's losses; so Bob is right that I
didn't see the irony (and still don't).

It goes something like this:
If someone is *forced* to pay in $10, they won't refuse $1 of return (or
any amount of return) simply on "principle."

Government has high involvement in our lives, therefore *any* statement
"against" that involvement could somehow be construed as "ironic." I am
the ironic iconoclast.

When resources are directed towards a specific goal, other possibilities
have vanished. No one knows "the future" that was sacrificed.

When justifying the ledger, it is not fair to ignore the minus (-)
column, and only count the plus (+) column.

Not seeing that something was sacrificed can only mean the viewer is
half-blind.

There's a fifth, little-known type of irony: RBR irony.
That's when you sincerely lecture other people about what
the meaning of irony is. I, of course, would never do
such a thing.

LOL.
Old August 26th 05, 01:57 AM
gwhite

Bob Schwartz wrote:

gwhite wrote:
Unrelated to this thread, I have a planned investment/commitment
beginning Wednesday and continuing for years if things go well. It will
require intense and sustained effort. Due to this, I will not be
posting to or reading the usenet, starting Thursday, at the latest.

Good luck.

Thanks. Good luck to you too.

Any chance you could let Lafferty in on it?

Nah, you talk like that, but you'd get bored.

I'm a day late getting out of here. But this one is really it.

You have my permission to blame me for everything once the door shuts.

Cheers and best wishes to all.

Bye-Bye
over and out,
Greg
Old August 26th 05, 03:06 AM
Michael Press

In article
,
Donald Munro wrote:

gwhite wrote:
The government doesn't protect Joe Plumber from bankruptcy. We can
harbor no sense of justice and sense of equality under law to protect
Sally Scientist from failure, simply because she has a fancy job title
and does more "important work" (than Joe Plumber) according to the
self-appointed arbiters of value. This is hog-in-trough syndrome for
scientists. Now there is a disease in need of a cure.

Bob Schwartz wrote:
The above post, using the internet to expound about the evils
of government funded research, is proof that Americans do not
grok irony. And that certain Americans would not grok irony if
irony walked up and kicked them in the ass.

Michael Press wrote:
Irony is a form of humor. It needs a person to produce it.
Irony is not to be found the way one picks seashells on
the beach.

Donald Munro wrote:
Not necessarily. It does requires a human to appreciate it, not
necessarily to produce it.

Michael Press wrote:
Yes, it does.

Ever heard of irony of fate or situational irony, for example Beethoven's
loss of hearing.

I won't attempt to explain it to a witless serf who years ago
sold his critical faculties for a mess of pottage.

Well it was specially enriched pottage that contained a high percentage of
panache.

I put it badly; was not accusing you. Sorry.

--
Michael Press
Old August 26th 05, 04:19 AM
h squared

Michael Press wrote:

Fetish, huh?

i can't be the first person who's mentioned it!

maybe fetish is a little strong of a description, but keep in mind i'm
the opposite of precise when it comes to using language, so i had no
problem using the word. my bf is a member of the grammar police, so he
has his job cut out for him dealing with my "heather speak". (that's
what he calls it, not me)

Yes, what I said is defective in that I do not account for
situational irony.

it's ok- as long as people understand each other finally, i'm happy.

Old August 26th 05, 08:31 AM
Howard Kveck

In article .com,
"Bill C" wrote:

Howard you're mostly right. I was listening to a discussion of this
stuff last night, especially since the Navy Capt. has come out backing
Schaeffer we need to get the truth, but I don't see it happening.
Whenever the Pentagon investigates itself, it's just amazing how they
come out clean every time. No matter how much eveidence they have to
ignore and shred.

Well, yeah, the Pentagon (or any branch of the govt.) investigating itself is
a joke. As for the new guy with his claims, is this the one who said he had the
list or flyer, and had it up on the wall in his office, and he couldn't get it
down without destroying it? You know, it's plausible, but really coincidental.
Weldun (who's actually a Rep., not a Senator as I wrote previously) claimed to
have only one copy of the poster, and gave it to S. Hadley. This new guy had
only one. Didn't anyone have or keep an original? It ends up sounding very "the
dog ate my homework". But if this really was around back in the Clinton era, it
seems like the Bush people would have no qualms about letting us know it.

Anyway the only thing everyone involved could agree on was that the
rules that prevented the sharing of this info were rooted in the
reorganization after the Church Committee hearings. The idea was to
prevent US Military, CIA, and other assets from being used against
Americans inside the US. This firewall is nothing new and had nothing
to do with the Clinton Administration. The other thing people aren't
taking into account were the rivalries between the different agencies
and their intense dislike of the FBI and Justice Dept. I believe that
they very well may have had this info and didn't pass it on, and are
now going into CYA mode. I'm sure that tons of this **** has been
shredded already. Can you say Iran Contra, Fawn Hall?

Yeah, the inter-agency turf wars and rivalries have certainly caused some
problems. There have been more than a few blunders because one agency was trying
to not let another one look good, and everyone ends up with much egg on face.

--
tanx,
Howard

Butter is love.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old August 26th 05, 10:22 AM
Donald Munro

Michael Press wrote:
I put it badly; was not accusing you. Sorry.

Apology not necessary, excessive consumption of rbr leads to rapid skin
cell division resulting in thick skin.
Old August 27th 05, 08:43 PM
Michael Press

In article ,
Ewoud Dronkert wrote:

On 22 Aug 2005 00:56:16 -0700, wrote:
Phew. Now we're off the Quakerism and back to the Hayek rhetoric.
You had me worried for a moment there. I still think it's a pity
someone as cute as Salma has such a dogmatic approach to the world
though.

http://images.google.com/preferences?q=hayek&safe=off
Hey, what's that old geezer doing there?!

That URL fails to load an image for those of us whose
browsers refuse to accept cookies.

--
Michael Press
Old August 27th 05, 09:52 PM
Ewoud Dronkert

Michael Press wrote:
http://images.google.com/preferences?q=hayek&safe=off
Hey, what's that old geezer doing there?!

That URL fails to load an image for those of us whose
browsers refuse to accept cookies.

How very distressing.

--
E. Dronkert
Old August 28th 05, 06:44 AM
Michael Press

In article ,
gwhite wrote:

"D. Ferguson" wrote:

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 17:54:49 -0700, Howard Kveck
wrote:

Well, if you're going to be around here for a while, you'd better get used to
that.

Yeah, you'd think after a year I would get it by now.

For future reference, I would like the RBR FAQ to include, but not be
limited to, the following methods of debate as valid forms of making
claims and coming to conclusion.

Ad Hominem
Appeal to Belief
Appeal to Common Practice
Appeal to Consequences of a Belief
Appeal to Emotion
Appeal to Fear
Appeal to Popularity
Appeal to Ridicule
Appeal to Tradition
Bandwagon
Begging the Question
Biased Sample
Burden of Proof
Confusing Cause and Effect
False Dilemma
Gambler's Fallacy
Genetic Fallacy
Guilt By Association
Hasty Generalization
Poisoning the Well
Post Hoc
Red Herring
Slippery Slope
Straw Man

Hopefully this will curb all desire for a logical debate.

Dumbass,

Nice.

For exposition and Latin titles see

http://www.datanation.com/fallacies/index.htm

--
Michael Press
Old September 11th 05, 01:19 PM
Bikeeron

The reporter is full of ****. Bush couldn't do 20 mile per hour except
maybe in his sprint. Did you notice any DORKometers on their bikes? A friend
once said, and this is a quote. "I was once told Bush run could run a six
minute pace by one of the agents that protects his ass. He was puffin' and I
mean Puffin' at an 8 minute pace. We had to back way down to let him breathe
a little."
He is definitely a divider of this country and all our allies as well.
Just look at this NG for instance.
As for you Tom, unless you were in "Nam.", you really cannot relate about
that war. You would have to be in your mid 50's as I am or older.
Ron
Robert Chung" wrote in message
http://www.usatoday.com/news/washing...ush-bike_x.htm

--