With reference to cycle lanes. etc - report well worth reading, c/o Warrington CC

Old March 8th 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default With reference to cycle lanes. etc - report well worth reading, c/o Warrington CC

Attempting to find the archive of farcilities of the month, I wandered
round the WCC website, and stumbled upon this:

http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co....ign/report/Hil
den.pdf

Now *that* sounds like a good plan. How on earth do we get UK towns and
cities to follow suit though? Of is it just one of those cultural
differences between us and the mainlanders that we'll never persuade our
population to act thus?

--
- DJ Pyromancer, The Sunday Goth Social, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net

Broadband, Dialup, Domains = http://www.wytches.net = The UK's Pagan ISP!
http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk http://www.revival.stormshadow.com
Old March 9th 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Attempting to find the archive of farcilities of the month, I wandered
round the WCC website, and stumbled upon this:

http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co....ign/report/Hil
den.pdf

Now *that* sounds like a good plan. How on earth do we get UK towns and
cities to follow suit though?

You're right, it does look pretty good. But it is completely destroyed for
anyone who knows anything about promoting and providing for cyclists by
being liberally sprinkled with pictures of cyclists with helmets.

Old March 9th 06, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Rich wrote:
Attempting to find the archive of farcilities of the month, I wandered
round the WCC website, and stumbled upon this:

http://www.17beechroad.freeserve.co....ign/report/Hil
den.pdf

Now *that* sounds like a good plan. How on earth do we get UK towns and
cities to follow suit though?

You're right, it does look pretty good. But it is completely destroyed for
anyone who knows anything about promoting and providing for cyclists by
being liberally sprinkled with pictures of cyclists with helmets.

I thought this quote was interesting:

"Our off road facilities are useful, but our major objective is to get
cyclists onto the roads. Here they are safer and have a calming effect
on vehicle speeds. most cycle accidents occur on off-road routes and
result from car owners reversing into cyclists when coming out of their
drives"

and

"Hilden has spent less and 120,000 Euros in [the] whole of the last 10
years on cycle specific facilities".

And yet they've managed to get cycle use up to 24%

Tim.

Old March 9th 06, 10:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"squeaker" wrote in message
oups.com...
Rich wrote:
But it is completely destroyed for

anyone who knows anything about promoting and providing for cyclists by
being liberally sprinkled with pictures of cyclists with helmets.

'Completely destroyed' !?! Get a life - it's just a little logo - no
wonder we're not getting anywhere

I beg to differ. It's the big pic on the cover and it's on every page, and
it sends the insidious message that cycling is dangerous.

If it's just a little logo, why couldn't they use a sensible one?

Yes, it's no wonder we're not getting anywhere when even cyclists are
willing to show cycling as being so dangerous that you have to wear special
"safety" gear, the only effect of which is to put people off cycling.

Old March 10th 06, 11:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Rich wrote:
"s
Yes, it's no wonder we're not getting anywhere when even cyclists are
willing to show cycling as being so dangerous that you have to wear special
"safety" gear, the only effect of which is to put people off cycling.

If you know anything about the Warrington Cycle campaign you'd know that
they are as aware of the helmets issues as anyone. Photos, drawings etc
tend to reflect reality - some cyclists wear helmets, some don't. In
terms of what's been achieved in Hilden its a side issue.

The problem I have with the German approach to road safety is that they
have consistently refused to impose speed limits on autobahns, in
defiance of EU policy. This enables their auto industry to produce ever
faster vehicles with which the rest of the world has to compete. Thus,
they subject the rest of us to the tyranny of speed whilst ensuring that
their own communities are protected.

Simon
Old March 10th 06, 11:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Thus,
they subject the rest of us to the tyranny of speed whilst ensuring that
their own communities are protected.

Protected by what? The cars are only allowed to do go at silly speeds in
Germany - seems like we're protected and they're not.
Old March 10th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Simon Geller wrote:

The problem I have with the German approach to road safety is that they
have consistently refused to impose speed limits on autobahns, in
defiance of EU policy. This enables their auto industry to produce ever
faster vehicles with which the rest of the world has to compete. Thus,
they subject the rest of us to the tyranny of speed whilst ensuring that
their own communities are protected.

People have always wanted to go fast and always will. It's the 18.5mph
limit in towns like Hilden that makes the difference, not how fast they
go on their motorways.

A convincing case could probably be made for reducing all UK town
limits to 20mph, with continuous constant camera enforcement
everywhere, in "exchange" for raising the general motorway speed limits
to 100 or 120mph. That would give the motoring speed lobby what the
they want while making town roads everywhere vastly safer for everyone.

BTW, ISTR the fastest production car in the world is British, not
German (and the parent company is American). Jaguar XJ220, 220mph.

Old March 10th 06, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Pyromancer wrote:
Simon Geller wrote:

BTW, ISTR the fastest production car in the world is British, not
German (and the parent company is American). Jaguar XJ220, 220mph.

McLaren F1 240.1 mph

Tom
--
Return address is dead. Real address is at
http://toomanybikes.com/address.jpg

Old March 10th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Tom wrote:
Pyromancer wrote:
Simon Geller wrote:

BTW, ISTR the fastest production car in the world is British, not
German (and the parent company is American). Jaguar XJ220, 220mph.

McLaren F1 240.1 mph

anorak The Bugatti Veyron is apparently good for 252 /anorak

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie Racing 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM
Pick 'n Pay Cape Argus Cycle Tour - Cape Town, South Africa, 2004 David Cowie UK 0 August 28th 03 10:29 PM