Got a New Station Hack Today

Old February 23rd 07, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark W

Default Got a New Station Hack Today

Got a New Station Hack today. Picked up as a trade in at a local bike
shop, as it seemed to be a little more exotic, and a lot lighter, than
the usual run of second hand mountain bikes. 1970's ten speed racer,
Brookes saddle, quick release brakes et al. Viscount Aerospace Sport -
weighing in at 11kg despite the rack and the later fit straight
handlebars.

Having got it home and then looked up the thing on the Interthingy,
seems I have picked up a bit of an infamous oddity.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html refers.

Can anyone shed any more on the history of these beasties - in
particular the "death forks" ? Fortunately mine seems to have steel
ones - the only place on the whole bike where any surface rust appears
is where the chrome paint has flaked a bit at the bottom of the forks.

Severely tempted to do a little restoration as she does seem a little
too nice to leave up the station ...

Old February 23rd 07, 09:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

Mark W wrote:

[...]

It'll be a very elegant bike if you can maintain the bottom bracket and
cope with the narrow rear end. (Most modern hubs will be too wide.) Even
if you re-enamel it Day-Glo pink old farts like me will still recognize it!
What Sheldon says about the bottom bracket is true, the circlip groove
can cause failure. Replacing the deep groove bearings if they get gritty
is possible, but not straightforward.
I think the Lambert name comes from Keith Lambert, a tough professional
at the time and, it seems still in the game.

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_1930.shtml

What's the rest of the equipment like?
Roger Thorpe
Old February 23rd 07, 09:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark W

What's the rest of the equipment like?

I would describe the general condition as "very good". Some tarnish
(not rust) on the wheels, and a tiny patch of corrosion ~ 1cm square
on the front one where the chrome has lifted. Couple of the decals
scraped, and some light corrosion on the little levers for the brake
quick release. And the surface corrosion as already described on the
lower extremities of the front forks. Other than that I think the most
fitting word is "spotless". The only obvious deviation from standard
(that I can see with my uneducated eye) is the straight handlebars.

Old February 23rd 07, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

Mark W wrote:

What's the rest of the equipment like?

I would describe the general condition as "very good". Some tarnish
(not rust) on the wheels, and a tiny patch of corrosion ~ 1cm square
on the front one where the chrome has lifted. Couple of the decals
scraped, and some light corrosion on the little levers for the brake
quick release. And the surface corrosion as already described on the
lower extremities of the front forks. Other than that I think the most
fitting word is "spotless". The only obvious deviation from standard
(that I can see with my uneducated eye) is the straight handlebars.

Great, I hope that you enjoy it, there was a time when it was one of the
things aspired to own. Well that, and a Hetcins curly. And an Allin. And
a Mercian.
The list goes on....
Roger Thorpe
Old February 24th 07, 09:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PeterC

On 23 Feb 2007 12:46:52 -0800, Mark W wrote:

[...]

Had one of those when they first came out. Seemed that water could get in
to the 'sealed' bearings, but oiling them was difficult.
The frame broke after a couple of yeras.
--
Peter.
If you can do it today, you didn't put off enough yesterday.
Old February 28th 07, 10:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"Roger Thorpe" ld.co.uk
wrote in message ...
SNIP
I think the Lambert name comes from Keith Lambert, a tough professional
at the time and, it seems still in the game.

http://www.irishcycling.com/publish/news/art_1930.shtml

Not entirely certain but he does still cycle with a local club on their
Sunday runs and still owns and runs his cycle shop in the town next to me.

Dave

Hack or Hoax? Nobody Racing 11 November 17th 06 05:33 PM
A new hack Tom UK 8 October 20th 06 07:23 PM
I just talked to Sue Wilson at the Muja Power Station and she said the cops took Marty Wallace who a Janitor at the Muja Power Station and the The Collie Valley Marathon Committee +61897342316 or +616045507000 To The Funny Farm Where He Will Be For sydney biker Australia 0 June 27th 05 08:19 PM
My new hack. Doki UK 3 May 2nd 04 12:27 AM
Interview on KOL, AOL's online radio station for kids, today, 2:30pm PST johnfoss Unicycling 8 February 13th 04 10:11 PM