Road bike anyone??

Old October 30th 12, 05:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rog[_3_]

Default Road bike anyone??

Getting too old to be pushing fat knobbly tyres on tarmac, I was
wondering if anyone had a road bike lying idle in need of a fresh owner.

Loaned mine to my foreman, never saw it again.
Cash waiting, located east of Leicester.
Hopefully there are some cyclists among the trolls.
5' 11" 13 stone.
Rog
www.rog.pynguins.com

Old October 30th 12, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 17:24:03 +0000 (UTC)
"Rog" here@ home.eu wrote:

Getting too old to be pushing fat knobbly tyres on tarmac,

So get some slicks? My ATB turned into a touring bike (slicks, rack,
mudguards, road cassette, butterfly bars) so now I have to build a new
off road machine (actually nearly finished it, but lacking enthusiasm).

Old October 30th 12, 06:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
soup[_6_]

Rog wrote:

Getting too old to be pushing fat knobbly tyres on tarmac,

Do what I did, fit unknobbly tyres to your existing bike. I only went
so far and fitted semi-slicks (Specialized crossroads armadillo ) as I
still did quite a percentage on tracks, so didn't want to go fully
slick .
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-new-crossroads-armadillo-tyre

Old October 30th 12, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mentalguy2k8[_2_]

"soup" wrote in message
Rog wrote:

Getting too old to be pushing fat knobbly tyres on tarmac,

Do what I did, fit unknobbly tyres to your existing bike. I only went so
far and fitted semi-slicks (Specialized crossroads armadillo ) as I
still did quite a percentage on tracks, so didn't want to go fully
slick .
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-new-crossroads-armadillo-tyre

That's what I did too, couple of "normal" tyres. I can't remember how much
they cost but it really wasn't much, and the difference was amazing. I'd
prefer a road bike but you just don't see many decent cheap ones about these
days. There doesn't seem to be anything between "vintage 1970s" and the
ultra-modern £600+ quid carbon-fibre malarkey.

Old October 30th 12, 08:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 30 Oct 2012 19:05:25 -0000
"Mentalguy2k8" wrote:

"soup" wrote in message
Rog wrote:

Getting too old to be pushing fat knobbly tyres on tarmac,

Do what I did, fit unknobbly tyres to your existing bike. I only
went so far and fitted semi-slicks (Specialized crossroads
armadillo ) as I still did quite a percentage on tracks, so didn't
want to go fully slick .
http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/specialized-new-crossroads-armadillo-tyre

That's what I did too, couple of "normal" tyres. I can't remember how
much they cost but it really wasn't much, and the difference was
amazing. I'd prefer a road bike but you just don't see many decent
cheap ones about these days. There doesn't seem to be anything
between "vintage 1970s" and the ultra-modern £600+ quid carbon-fibre
malarkey.

How about a "road bike shaped object" for under £200?
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/34694/...Road-Bike.html
It might even be ridable.

Old October 30th 12, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

On 30/10/2012 17:24, Rog wrote:

Getting too old to be pushing fat knobbly tyres on tarmac, I was
wondering if anyone had a road bike lying idle in need of a fresh owner.

Loaned mine to my foreman, never saw it again.
Cash waiting, located east of Leicester.
Hopefully there are some cyclists among the trolls.
5' 11" 13 stone.
Rog
www.rog.pynguins.com

Pop into the UK's largest cycle retailer - Toy's R Us.

vehicle fit only for the poor and/or strange," Dave Horton, of Lancaster
University, wrote in an interim assessment of the Understanding Walking
and Cycling study. "For them, cycling is a bit embarrassing, they fail
to see its purpose, and have no interest in integrating it into their
lives, certainly on a regular basis."
Old October 30th 12, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

On 30/10/2012 23:38, Paul Cummins wrote:
We were about to embark at Dover, when (Clive
George) came up to me and whispered:

There's a challenge. How many miles do you do a week at the
moment, and how many would you do given a cheap new bike?

When I was commuting to and from Guildford by Frankenbike, I was
averaging 40 miles a day, 5 days a week.

Additionally I was doing 15-20 miles on Saturdays and Sundays.

Not too bad. I aim for about half that, but it's mainly time stopping me
do more.

So that's between 200 and 240 miles a week on something that was
definitely a BSO, it went through 3 rear spindle bearings in 6 months.
Admittedly from the scrapyard, but nonetheless.

People can do amazing things on amazingly crap kit - but it's not being
a snob to suggest one can do better.

The "Frankenbike" started life as an Apollo mountain bike worth about
£120, and went through a number of changes, hedges, recycling centres and
rebuilds before I was given it. I rebuilt with cheap parts, serviced and
it gave me good service for over three years.

I've been through the "that bike looks expensive, surely this cheap one
is good enough" thing with people a few times. Have you tried riding a
nice bike?