Swindon - Bedford tomorrow

Old June 3rd 05, 08:47 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Default Swindon - Bedford tomorrow

As part of my training for the Dunwich Dynamo, I'm riding up to the
in-laws again (I get a lift back!) Last time I took a wrong turning at
Kidlington and did an extra 6 miles, but it should really be about 90
miles.

The worst bit is going through Oxford, especially the Kidlington road on
the way out, which has a crappy pavement/psyclepath which passes about
500 driveways and 50 side roads where you could meet instant death - so
I ride on the road where drivers won't give you an inch because you
"should be on the psyclepath". You'd think they'd be used to bikes in
Oxford, of all places. Unfortunately there is no obvious detour to
avoid the place, unlike Milton Keynes which I can just about skirt
(Stony Stratford and Wolverton).

Here's hoping for a dry morning and a roaring tailwind, and I've been
promised roast beef for lunch :-)
Old June 4th 05, 08:29 AM
Nic

Ah! Oxford-Kidlington... My twice daily commute. I concur with your
observations.

Old June 4th 05, 06:53 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Nic wrote:

Ah! Oxford-Kidlington... My twice daily commute. I concur with your
observations.

I went through Summertown today instead of whichever way I used last
time (the other "A" road north). It was much better; the on-road cycle
lane only becomes a shared use path at the very end.

18.25mph average for 93 miles suggests to me that there was, indeed,
something of a tailwind ;-)

At that speed I could leave London Fields at 9pm and be on Dunwich Beach
by 3.25am...