Value of Schwinn Typhoon? Collegiate?

Old October 9th 03, 05:27 PM
Bill Johnston

Default Value of Schwinn Typhoon? Collegiate?

I have a black 1963 Schwinn Typhoon, 26" tires. I was wondering how
much it might be worth. It is currently disassembled but all the parts
are there. The paint is scratched and there's a bit of rust on the
chrome, and one fender is bent. It still has original tires in fair
condition.

Also have a green Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, probably 1960's. Paint
is beat up and someone welded a pair of bolts to the fork for a child
seat. And the weird sized tires have a bad inner tube.
Old October 10th 03, 03:29 AM
Mike Kruger

"Bill Johnston" wrote in message
om...
I have a black 1963 Schwinn Typhoon, 26" tires. I was wondering how
much it might be worth. It is currently disassembled but all the parts
are there. The paint is scratched and there's a bit of rust on the
chrome, and one fender is bent. It still has original tires in fair
condition.

Also have a green Schwinn Collegiate 5-speed, probably 1960's. Paint
is beat up and someone welded a pair of bolts to the fork for a child
seat. And the weird sized tires have a bad inner tube.

I think you've answered your own questions. Unless you find somebody looking
for original parts, or somebody who had one as a kid and is willing to spend
$30 for nostalgia, these bikes are basically worthless. They can be fixed up
and ridden with a bit of elbow grease and a few parts, but they aren't of
commercial value.

Original tires on a 1963 bike "in fair condition"? That's 40 year old
rubber. Riding on it would be like trusting a 40 year old condom.

The tires are likely S-6 size. You can still buy these; Sheldon Brown's site
has them, as do some local bike shops.

Old October 12th 03, 05:27 AM
Menotomy

Your Typhoon is collectible and the Collegiates are on their way to being so.
To determine an old cycle's value we need pictures and many more details, but
that Typhoon has got to be worth $150.

As for "basically worthless", uh, ok, I'll buy it for $30.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.
http://OldRoads.com

. com...

Old October 12th 03, 06:06 AM
Matt O'Toole

"Menotomy" wrote in message

Your Typhoon is collectible and the Collegiates are on their way to being so.
To determine an old cycle's value we need pictures and many more details, but
that Typhoon has got to be worth $150.

As for "basically worthless", uh, ok, I'll buy it for $30.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.
http://OldRoads.com

A good way to check market value is to use eBay. Search for the item, click on
"completed items", and you'll see what others have sold for recently.

Matt O.

Need Help- Wal-Mart Schwinn S-30 JC General 9 September 30th 03 09:58 PM
Old Schwinn Worth Updates? David Kerber General 7 September 2nd 03 11:28 PM
Advice on Buying a Schwinn Bike Garrison Hilliard General 4 August 4th 03 07:10 PM
setting speedometer schwinn dale General 3 July 28th 03 11:28 PM