Lightweight, Wide (>2.2), Aggressive Tread MTB Tires

Old October 8th 03, 03:15 AM
HKEK

Default Lightweight, Wide (>2.2), Aggressive Tread MTB Tires

I would like to try some wider MTB tires for freeriding and XC. I am
currently using Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 inch with the Aramid
(Kevlar) bead, 580 grams. My frame can take tires up to around 2.6
inches.

I would like to see how the ride would be with something substantially
wider, say around 2.4 inch wide; however, I don't want heavy tires. I
have seen a WTB WeirWolf Race 2.5 (55/62) that weighs in at 730 grams.
WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it
appears) weighing in at 565 grams; however, they size it as 55/55
which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.

Can anyone suggest other lightweight, wide, aggresive tread tires
(tube type) that I should consider? -- Thanks!

Old October 8th 03, 06:11 AM
jim beam

continental vertical pro

2.3, great grip on loose pack, long lasting, relatively light for this
size at 590g kevlar.

jb

Old October 8th 03, 06:13 AM
Dean A. Stepper

IRC Trail Bear Front/Rear Tire
The classic Missile tread design combined with the latest construction
technology creates this ultimate trailbike/freeride tire. Directional knobs
with enough beef to hook up and track solidly through corners, smaller knobs
in between add an extra barrier of flat protection. Good DH training tire.
Supple 66 tpi casing for comfort and performance. 26 x 2.25" Kevlar bead.
Black/Blackwall. 760g

m...

Old October 8th 03, 03:12 PM
Jamie

I back up the Vertical Pro's kind of expensive but last a long time.I went
to Indianapolis In and a lot of there trail ride's use these .Loose rock and
some technical trail there.

--
J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Old October 8th 03, 05:53 PM
MattB

"HKEK" wrote in message
m...
I would like to try some wider MTB tires for freeriding and XC. I am
currently using Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1 inch with the Aramid
(Kevlar) bead, 580 grams. My frame can take tires up to around 2.6
inches.

I would like to see how the ride would be with something substantially
wider, say around 2.4 inch wide; however, I don't want heavy tires. I
have seen a WTB WeirWolf Race 2.5 (55/62) that weighs in at 730 grams.
WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it
appears) weighing in at 565 grams; however, they size it as 55/55
which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.

Can anyone suggest other lightweight, wide, aggresive tread tires
(tube type) that I should consider? -- Thanks!

I run the Intense Cross Country System 4's and I'm very happy with them.
They say they are a 2.25 but they seem bigger than my friend's 2.3's. They
are high volume and a soft compound and they hook up really well. They weigh
745 Grams which is pretty good for a tire of this size.
When these wear out I'll probably get more.

Matt

Old October 8th 03, 10:31 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
WTB also has a Mutano Raptor Race 2.4 (less aggressive tread it
appears) weighing in at 565 grams; however, they size it as 55/55
which is really only about a 2.16 inch width.

I know that's what the width really is; but they feel and look considerably
wider.
--
PeteCresswell

Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill General 14 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
New wheels, new tires (difference between 700x25, 26, & 28?) Roger Zoul General 19 June 16th 04 09:00 PM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
bike stability and 32c tires Jack Murphy General 1 December 10th 03 05:19 AM
Lightweight, Wide (>2.2), Aggressive Tread MTB Tires HKEK Mountain Biking 7 October 8th 03 10:31 PM