OT - How to set up a usenet news reader in outlook express?

Old February 25th 09, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default OT - How to set up a usenet news reader in outlook express?

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 11:40:01 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

"Bill Sornson" wrote in message
I changed my internet provider and now use a gmail account. I can get
the email account settings but so far I haven't been able to get a
working connection to usenet (news account) in outlook. Any ideas?

After months in the wilderness I signed up with Motzarella
(
www.motzarella.org). Can't tell any difference from when my ISP offered
Usenet.

Highly recommended.

BS (no, really)

An additional text only free newsserver that I have been happy with. I have
both news.x-privat.org and news.motzarella.org setup, motzeralla was
intermitent for a while for me.
http://www.x-privat.org/

Dear Bill,

I noticed occasional down-times on Motzarella, too, but the problems
seem to have gone away. I got around the problem by posting through
Google Groups.

Thanks for mentioning the free x-privat news server.

It took me a few tries to get around x-privat's invitation code, which
was either not up (?) or else disagreed with me about 0's and o's and
1's and l's.

X-privat worked fine right away, downloading the latest 100 posts from
RBT with no problem into the Mozilla Thunderbird that I use for
testing such things.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 25th 09, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, x-privat has frustrating problems.

Apart from making you jump through badly designed hoops called
invitation codes, it refuses to change your password in its account
management option.

And if you click on the change-user-id, x-privat instantly responds
that your account has been deleted, without any confirmation, not that
you asked to delete your account in the first place.

And then your invitation codes and so forth don't work any more.

It's a good example of idiotic design.

The lesson is to leave your account and password alone in x-privat,
since the buggy programming amounts to an impressive booby-trap.

Glad I was just looking instead of relying on it.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 27th 09, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Bill

wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 14:19:33 -0700, carl fogel
wrote:

Andrew Price wrote:
On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:56:22 -0700, wrote:

[---]

The lesson is to leave your account and password alone in x-privat,
since the buggy programming amounts to an impressive booby-trap.

Glad I was just looking instead of relying on it.

If you want a totally reliable text news-server, News.Individual.NET

http://www.individual.net/

provided by one of the universities in Berlin, is only ten euros per
year.

Dear Andrew,

Thanks, but it's hard to compete with free--so far, I'm happy with
Motzarella, and a few minutes of swearing and lying to x-privat with
other email accounts got me set up again . . .

Assuming that this posts.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Yes, x-privat works fine after trashing my first account without even
a confirmation screen.

I should emphasize that it was the x-privat account-management program
that was awful--the news server seems to work fine.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Carl,
I've been using x-privat for a couple of months without a hick-up. I also
have motzarella set up and download headers once in a while just to keep it
alive. Free newsservers don't seem to be a great long term business model.
alt.free.newsservers is an interesting place to lurk on occasion.

Old February 27th 09, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Feb 24, 8:06*pm, wrote:
I changed my internet provider and now use a gmail account. I can get
the email account settings but so far I haven't been able to get a
working connection to usenet (news account) in outlook. Any ideas?

Phil H

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/26/te...ch/26pogue.htm...

READ
there's an RSS Googler feed
BUTDONOTSQUEEZEURATESTICLES
Old February 27th 09, 09:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

datakoll aka gene daniels wrote:
[...]
BUTDONOTSQUEEZEURATESTICLES

Adequate stand-over height and proper fitting cycling shorts help here.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll

Is Outlook Express the slowest newsreader in world history? Jay[_2_] Techniques 15 December 5th 07 03:54 PM
News reader Wasatch5k Techniques 15 November 11th 04 02:23 AM
silly question about Outlook Express (off topic) Simon D UK 7 August 19th 04 01:53 PM