Rans Rocket vs Rans Screamer in "time trial"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 23rd 03, 02:13 AM
Brent Hugh

Default Rans Rocket vs Rans Screamer in "time trial"

Just for our own amusement, my son (6 yrs. old) and I, riding our Rans
Screamer the other evening, did a 2.5 mile time trial on the circle
drive around the nearby sports stadiums.

The route is best described as "rolling hills"--low speed about 10MPH,
high speed about 28MPH.

We did it in 8:04 (18.6 MPH). (OK, neither of us is exactly Lance
Armstrong.)

So yesterday I decided if I ditched the kid & the 50 lb. bike I could
probably do better.

So I stripped all the excess junk off my Rans Rocket & rode the exact
same course.

Result? EXACTLY 8:04, again.

(Well, within 1 second, anyway.)

Coincidence, or what?

I guess the moral is that I can lug around an extra 75 lbs at all
times, and have it make no difference! (Well, the 6-yr-old DOES
pedal, so that makes up for at least some part of the extra 75 lbs . .
.. )

Or that the old saw is true--it's the engine, stupid.

The only spoiler is, that when I got home I found that my Rocket tires
were both at 60 lbs. Usually I keep them at 100 lbs, and that does
make a noticeable difference. The Screamer tires were at 95 lbs, just
where I usually keep them.

I guess I must go for try #3, to see if it's a tie-breaker.

--Brent
bhugh [at] mwsc.edu