Wisconsin Cyclist killed in rear-end collision

Old October 11th 03, 12:37 PM
Steven M. Scharf

Default Xenon Strobes versus LED Flashers (was: Wisconsin Cyclist killed in rear-end collision)

"Michael" wrote in message

I still use my yellow belt beacon, and I have a red LED too. My

experience
is when the belt beacon is on, I get noticeably more room when passed by
cars than I do when just using the LED. I have always thought their first
thought when coming up behind me was "What the )#*$# is that?" followed by
"It must be a hole marked by a flasher, I better move over so I don't hurt
my car". Whatever they are thinking, they swing out, it works for me.

That's the exact same reaction I get with my amber strobe (looks similar
to a Belt Beacon (http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/images/rearstrobe.jpg).

I agree, it's a "What the )#*$# is that?" reaction, then self-preservation,
not
a "it's a bicycle, I don't have to give it much room" reaction.

Old October 11th 03, 12:41 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...

A dim light source is much more noticeable if it's blinking. A steady
dim taillight is confusing to oncomers because it blends in with
things like parked cars' reflectors, mailbox markers, etc.

When driving, I find the LED blinkers more noticable than
solid red lights. There are just too many other red lights
around, as you state. I don't know where the blinkie manufacturers
come up with their "visible for 2.5 mile" claims though.

As you stated, dim light sources are more noticable when
blinking. Even bright light sources are more noticable when
blinking.