Bike Lust

Old June 19th 06, 03:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Bike Lust

Zoot Katz wrote:

Tall bikes turn heads, no argument. The Pedersen does that too plus
it has a pedigree for snob appeal and professional workmanship.

I don't think that the Pedersen serves any special purpose though it
could easily replace my joe-bike in terms of functionality and
surpass it in terms of comfort. Head winds on joe-bike sometimes have
me wishing for drop bars. The Pedersen would be the same. Dabbing
required a greater stretch but maybe that was because its owner is a
full head taller than me. (Similar leg length though)

Stopping in traffic on a tall bike does require a convenient prop
unless one dismounts. Believe me, dismounting is something you want
to figure out before mounting. They balance so well at low speeds
that by timing the lights is the way most tall-bikers avoid stopping
or dismounting.

Spontaneous dismounts can be more injurious than with civilian bikes.

As I said then, whatever turns your pedals. On the issues of stopping
in traffic and spontaneous dismounts, I personally subscribe to Mr.
Murphy's philosophy- whatever can go wrong will and usually at the most
inopportune time. I have the scars to prove him right. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt