A Trackstand Saved My Life!

Old November 10th 06, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default A Trackstand Saved My Life!

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:40:23 -0800, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

In article .com,
"Buck" writes:
Tom Keats wrote:
Although I'd think that sort of stuff
is as at least as worthy of inclusion in the mayor's Public Disorder
online poll, as unh*lm*ted cyclists, defecating/urinating in the
streets (I guess some drivers might actually /cause/ that,)
jaywalking, littering, and open/public drug use:
http://mayorsamsullivan.ca/survey/index.php?sid=2

I thought you were joking. I went to the site on a lark. I cannot
believe that someone was stupid enough to include cyclists not wearing
helmets in a list of public disorder problems. That means that the
person who created the survey (or someone who influences the choices)
actually believes that not wearing a helmet is a sign of disorder! What
the heck is wrong with these people?

Here's another one for ya: there's a "pedestrian safety" blitz going
on here right now. Among the usual safety tips, the Authorities are
admonishing pedestrians to only use /marked/ crosswalks. But here,
every intersection is a crosswalk, and drivers (although most probably
don't know this) are legally obligated to respect them as such, whether
they're marked or not.

Most people who have money (and thus political influence) drive
motorcars much more than they walk or cycle.

They view pedestrians and cyclists as obstructions. Conciously or
unconciously, government droids will follow an anti-pedestrian and
anti-cyclist agenda, unless they are otherwise instructed.

It does us not help to have pro-helmet zealots ignoring/distorting the
facts and advocating MHL's. Some (many?) politicians are equally
stupid, and reading this thread could well try to introduce
legislation requiring trackstands be supplied with every cycle
purchased.

"If only one life is saved..."
Old November 10th 06, 07:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Brian Huntley

Tom Keats wrote:
Here's another one for ya: there's a "pedestrian safety" blitz going
on here right now. Among the usual safety tips, the Authorities are
admonishing pedestrians to only use /marked/ crosswalks. But here,
every intersection is a crosswalk, and drivers (although most probably
don't know this) are legally obligated to respect them as such, whether
they're marked or not.

There's an unusual "T" intersection near my place where a two-way
street becomes 1-way on the north side, and most traffic esses around
from northbound to westward, or from eastward to southerly. There used
to be a painted crosswalk on the west side, and as far as I can tell
it's still a legal crosswalk though it wasn't painted after the last
paving. When I do use it (on foot) I get yelled at by drivers who have
to actually slow (assuming they *do* slow.)It makes me want to carry a
mace or something.

And no, it's not one street bending, it's Gladstone N/S and Peel E/W.

Old November 10th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On 10 Nov 2006 05:55:06 -0800, "Buck" wrote:

http://mayorsamsullivan.ca/survey/index.php?sid=2

I thought you were joking. I went to the site on a lark. I cannot
believe that someone was stupid enough to include cyclists not wearing
helmets in a list of public disorder problems.

Nope, you get that from a lot of drivers. They figure you're a
scofflaw for not wearing a funny hat and like to include it when they
rail against cyclists for their other indescretions.

We're looking for a sticker to say, "I have to wear my helmet so you
can drive like an idiot."

That means that the
person who created the survey (or someone who influences the choices)
actually believes that not wearing a helmet is a sign of disorder! What
the heck is wrong with these people?

I've heard the Chief of Police is big on helmets possibly due to a
personal experience. Maybe he's brain damaged.

It's all part of the purge preparing for the 2010 Olypics.
--
zk
Old November 10th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Zoot Katz wrote:
[...]

I went to the site and tried to leave feedback on that stupid bicycle
comment and got the "Not working yet" message. Now you guys know I won't
put up with that so I sent an e-mail to the mayor to complain both about
the bike comment and why they would put up a broken feedback section and
embarrass themselves as a city that can't even put up a simple page.
I expect an indignant response soon.
Bill Baka
Old November 10th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 21:54:22 GMT, Bill wrote:

I went to the site and tried to leave feedback on that stupid bicycle
comment and got the "Not working yet" message. Now you guys know I won't
put up with that so I sent an e-mail to the mayor to complain both about
the bike comment and why they would put up a broken feedback section and
embarrass themselves as a city that can't even put up a simple page.
I expect an indignant response soon.

They probably got a bunch of comments they didn't want to hear so,
being ostriches, closed the poll. It had been up for several weeks
already. Through its posting to various mailing lists it likely got
bombarded by cyclists commenting on the "public disorder" caused by
the scofflaw scud jockeys.

My unfavourable comments were directed toward the presence of SOV in
HOV lanes. Illegal turns where during rush hours they're prohibited
and drivers ignoring signs, dividers and barricades barring cars on
the traffic calmed streets. I mentioned that as a citizen I was
disgusted by the city's lack of enforcement and the resulting lack of
revenue to be gained by ticketing those egregious offenses.
--
zk
Old November 10th 06, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill

Zoot Katz wrote:
[...]

If we're talking B.C. it used to be pretty nice back in 1978 when I went
up that way. From what I have heard they have an immigrant problem now,
so maybe it isn't that nice any more. 28 years could make a big difference.
A guy I know in the wine country in California who owns a family run
motel had a drunk scud driver put a car through his residence house.
Turns out it was an illegal Mexican, drunk, no license, insurance, or
any thing else and the best they could do is arrest and deport the guy.
The owner was kind of amazed because the house is a good 35 feet off the
street and the driver would have had to make almost an intentional right
turn at 50 MPH to do that kind of damage. The car wound up almost
entirely in the living room. And that is where I used to bicycle every
day at work, thinking it was a safe little town.
Bill Baka
Old November 11th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 23:37:36 GMT, Bill wrote:

If we're talking B.C. it used to be pretty nice back in 1978 when I went
up that way. From what I have heard they have an immigrant problem now,
so maybe it isn't that nice any more. 28 years could make a big difference.

Yeah Bill, our immigrant "problem" is primarily Koreans and Chinese
coming here, buying up whole blocks and sending real estate prices
through the roof. Neither can they drive worth ****.

There is also a problem with violence among Asian youth gangs but
they keep it to their own communities. Some will point to the
Honduran crack sellers around Main & Hastings but they're not
immigrants, they're illegal aliens or refugees awaiting a hearing
before deportation.
--
zk
Old November 11th 06, 12:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On 10 Nov 2006 12:43:41 -0800, "gds" wrote:

wrote:
Most people who have money (and thus political influence) drive

motorcars much more than they walk or cycle.

They view pedestrians and cyclists as obstructions. Conciously or
unconciously, government droids will follow an anti-pedestrian and
anti-cyclist agenda, unless they are otherwise instructed.

Citation please!

For that you need merely consult the legislation and regulations in
the many nations, states, provinces, and municipalities.
Old November 11th 06, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Mark Hickey

wrote:
Most people who have money (and thus political influence) drive
motorcars much more than they walk or cycle.

They view pedestrians and cyclists as obstructions. Conciously or
unconciously, government droids will follow an anti-pedestrian and
anti-cyclist agenda, unless they are otherwise instructed.

Citation please!

For that you need merely consult the legislation and regulations in
the many nations, states, provinces, and municipalities.

It's not an evil conspiracy - it's mainly that spending the money on
cycling facilities tends to benefit a very small segment of the
population (one that usually doesn't try to exert a lot of influence
on the political process). On the other side of the coin, the bike
facilities and planning in the Phoenix, Arizona east valley are very
comprehensive and effective - no doubt out of proportion to the
influence of the users (though there are a fair number).

In the end, polititians tend to care only about what directly benefits
them - if they feel there is a political benefit to spending our money
on bicycle facilities, they'll do so.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Another you-know-what saved my life report... Bill Robertson UK 11 May 23rd 06 10:35 AM
a bunnyhop saved my life davek UK 101 August 16th 05 07:30 AM
A bit of plastic saved my life Tilly UK 29 July 27th 05 11:17 AM
Headphones Saved My Life..... CC General 49 June 11th 05 05:26 AM
A Helmet saved my life paul UK 75 March 20th 04 09:33 AM