DO YOU EAT MEAT?

Old February 22nd 12, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Jahbulon

Default Do you eat meat?

George Plimpton wrote in
:

Not even close. "veganism", a ethically baseless
food religion, is nonsense. I don't do nonsense.

Truth is, your real name is Georgia, you live in a loving relationship with
Sharon, having a disabled child from before you came out as a lesbian,
drive a green coloured car, teach Mathematics, host free after school
aromatherapy lessons for everyone in the local community, and work every
second Thursday in your local homeless shelter.

Hot dogs contain meat.

Not according to you they don't.

--

Praise be to Jahbulon, holy god of Royal Arch Freemasons

http://www.freemasonrywatch.org/jahbulon.html
Old February 22nd 12, 08:48 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Jahbulon

George Plimpton wrote in
:

We were discussing Hot Dogs, not meat.

Hot dogs are mainly meat.

You are not a credible source of information on anything.

I don't need (or claim) to be. You can look up the contents of the average
Hot Dog for yourself: turkey cartilage, etc.

Old February 22nd 12, 08:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
Jahbulon

George Plimpton wrote in
:

Some hot dogs, but not all, contain pressure-recovered
poultry. Even those that do also contain some meat,
from muscle tissue, usually from beef or pork.

Less expensive hot dogs are often made from chicken or turkey, using low
cost mechanically separated poultry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Dog

Nut roast anyone? At least with vegetarian rabbit food, you know what
you're getting.

Old February 22nd 12, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
thirty-six

On Feb 22, 7:12*am, Rupert wrote:
On Feb 22, 8:02*am, George Plimpton wrote:

On 2/21/2012 10:45 PM, Rupert wrote:

On Feb 21, 6:31 pm, George *wrote:
On 2/21/2012 12:02 AM, Rupert wrote:

On Feb 21, 12:14 am, George * *wrote:
On 2/20/2012 2:17 PM, Jahbulon wrote:

George * * *wrote in
news:TZmdnf7WBp0OGd_SnZ2dnUVZ5jadnZ2d@giganew s.com:

Meat is not unhealthful.

What difference does it make when you're not going to find any in a Hot
Dog?

Hot dogs contain meat. *The fat content of hot dogs and most sausages
make the relatively less healthful than leaner meat. *Too much fat is
unhealthful. *Meat is not inherently unhealthful.

http://www.eatright.org/about/content.aspx?id=8357

That begins:

* * * *It is the position of the American Dietetic Association that
* * * *appropriately planned vegetarian diets, including total vegetarian
* * * *or vegan diets, are healthful, nutritionally adequate, and may
* * * *provide health benefits in the prevention and treatment of certain
* * * *diseases.

That does not, of course, refute the claim that meat is not inherently
unhealthful.

The article does entail that eating meat in the quantities that most
people eat it in Western societies will make it somewhat more likely
that you will get certain serious diseases than would be the case if
you ate a well-planned vegetarian diet.

But it doesn't say nor imply that meat /per se/ is unhealthful to consume.

No, it doesn't; neither did I.

You are right, meat is not inherently unhealthy, I suppose not even
McDonald's food is inherently unhealthy, it can be part of a well-
balanced diet, but of course the reality is that most people who eat
McDonald's food frequently eat a very unhealthy diet.

I haven't eaten McDonald's food very often over most of my life, but for
a period of time last year, when I was working mainly at my house and
there was a McDonald's shop about 1/2 mile away, I went there for lunch
maybe three times a month; for sure it was less often than once per
week. *At the time they sold a particular hamburger sandwich I liked
that had a relatively lean beef patty, no cheese, a decent amount of
vegetables (lettuce and tomato), and not too much in the way of other
added fat; I always requested it without mayonnaise. *Most of the other
patrons there, whose meals I did not scrutinize, did not appear to be
unhealthy, and I seldom saw anyone eating copious amounts of what I
would consider unhealthful food. *Having eaten at McDonald's often
enough during that interval, I cannot say I saw any evidence that most
people who eat at McDonald's consume a very unhealthful diet.

There is a concern about obesity levels in the United States which you

It's the bread, a filler, made from highly modified wheat and high
sugar consumption both used to save the USA from starvation. It's a
bad experiment which has been unecessarily prolonged by the greed of
the suppliers.

can read about on Wikipedia. I wasn't able to locate any studies
indicating what role fast food plays in the obesity epidemic. The film
"Super Size Me" implies that fast food restaurants like McDonald's
play an important role in it.

They sell wheat bread and sugar, you can just eat the burger and any
greenery and leave the junk behind.

Old February 22nd 12, 03:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
George Plimpton

On 2/22/2012 12:45 AM, Jahbulon wrote:
George wrote in
:

Not even close. "veganism", a ethically baseless
food religion, is nonsense. I don't do nonsense.

Truth is,

The truth is, hot dogs contain meat.

Hot dogs contain meat.

Not according to you they don't.

Yes, according to me and according to the USDA and according to the
labels on the products, hot dogs contain meat.
Old February 22nd 12, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
George Plimpton

On 2/22/2012 12:48 AM, Jahbulon wrote:
George wrote in
:

We were discussing Hot Dogs, not meat.

Hot dogs are mainly meat.

You are not a credible source of information on anything.

I don't need (or claim) to be.

You do.

You can look up the contents of the average
Hot Dog for yourself:

And I have done. It's mainly meat.
Old February 22nd 12, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian
George Plimpton

On 2/22/2012 12:58 AM, Jahbulon wrote:
George wrote in
:

Some hot dogs, but not all, contain pressure-recovered
poultry. Even those that do also contain some meat,
from muscle tissue, usually from beef or pork.

Less expensive hot dogs are often made from chicken or turkey, using low
cost mechanically separated poultry.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hot_Dog

Yes, and what else does that site say, little do-nothing liar?

Pork and beef are the traditional meats used in hot dogs.
Old February 22nd 12, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers
Paul Hyett

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 at 23:22:22, Doug wrote in
uk.legal :

Cows tend to give birth to a mixture of male and female offspring, so
to produce milk( and therefore cheese and butter) you have to produce
bull calves which aren't great milk producers.

No, but they taste good, and are high in protein.

Surely taste is acquired? Soya is also high in protein.

Then soya needs to acquire some taste... 8)

The other dairy product is egg - and again, the fertile offspring of
the chicken is more or less 50% male, and they aren't much use in
producing eggs as the females.....

See above, but lower in fat.

I wonder how many meat and dairy eaters here are tending towards the
obese?

So what if they are?
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Old February 22nd 12, 05:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers
Paul Hyett

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 at 23:26:28, Doug wrote in
uk.legal :

I don't get the dairy thing - no animals are hurt/killed to produce
dairy products...

What about the male calves that are taken away at birth and then
reared away from their mothers for meat? What about cows that get too
old and are no longer profitable?

In the wild they'd be eaten by predators, so what's the difference?

Besides, the dairy cattle process is
very inefficient, uses lots of water and food which could be used by
humans instead and produces lots of waste which runs into rivers.

And the extra food & water for humans wouldn't eventually turn into
waste, too?
--
Paul Hyett, Cheltenham
Old February 22nd 12, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.legal,uk.people.silversurfers
thirty-six

On Feb 22, 7:22*am, Doug wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:13*am, Phil W Lee wrote:

gareth erskine-jones considered Tue, 21 Feb 2012
23:55:33 +0000 the perfect time to write:

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 18:03:39 +0000, Paul Hyett
wrote:

I don't get the dairy thing - no animals are hurt/killed to produce
dairy products...

(just declaring my intestests he I'm a meat & dairy eater and I
grow chickens for meat in my garden).

Cows tend to give birth to a mixture of male and female offspring, so
to produce milk( and therefore cheese and butter) you have to produce
bull calves which aren't great milk producers.

No, but they taste good, and are high in protein.

Surely taste is acquired? Soya is also high in protein.

The other dairy product is egg - and again, the fertile offspring of
the chicken is more or less 50% male, and they aren't much use in
producing eggs as the females.....

See above, but lower in fat.

I wonder how many meat and dairy eaters here are tending towards the
obese?

Doug.

A vegetarian diet may also lead to obesity.

The Lizard Wants Meat Jute Andre Racing 0 November 17th 11 07:05 AM
Sweater Meat Keith Racing 9 December 11th 10 03:49 PM
Tainted meat Jason Spaceman[_2_] Racing 1 October 2nd 10 02:14 AM
Sweater Meat Amit Ghosh Racing 2 June 18th 10 11:03 PM
Meat Spinning [email protected] Techniques 19 July 25th 07 10:06 PM