Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual??

Old August 21st 03, 12:07 AM
Marlene Blanshay

Default Women riding alone- is that THAT unusual??

In article ,
"W.S. O'Neal" wrote:

The other day I was riding alone and came upon three guys , two at the
bottom of a forty foot steep drop and one at the top . As I rode by the one
at the top . He told me he had fallen. he was okay but a little shook up and
he hadn't even started down the hard part.The two at the bottom were yelling
she won't ride down that. Well unbeknownst to them I ride that drop all the
time, So down I came and they clapped and whistled like I had done something
great . as I rode away I could hear them starting to razz their friend at
the top. riding alone is good and can be good for your ego. That was a fun
day

Yeah, I've had days like that. I think men are often impressed by women
riding alone, not solely for cosmetic reasons. I went hill climbing the
other day- I went alone because I'm not that good at it and that way,
unlike a group situation I don't humiliate myself! You always see lots of
other folks suffering up and down the same hill, and mostly guys. They all
seem to be impressed at seeing a woman climbing there alone. ONce in a
while I'll see couples there, including one local pro and with some guy,
either her trainer or a boyfriend, I have no idea.
Old August 21st 03, 06:01 PM
Doug

I've been lurking on this thread for a while and just felt like putting
in my $0.02 worth...

I used to commute daily by bike 25 miles each way between Denver and
Boulder, CO, back when I had the time and less commitments (i.e.,
kids). I have been in some situations where I blew out a tire, not just
the tube (NOW I usually carry a fold-up spare), or had an ungodly string
of flats that left me with a flat and without another spare or a patch
to be found. (It gets easy to get cavalier and forget to pick up more
patches or spares when you ride so frequently and deal with flats with a
high regularity.) Given the area, I always felt safe -- stranded
certainly, desperate maybe, but safe. I think THAT is the issue here,
more than the "can I fix a flat" aspect. Do you feel safe being alone
in the middle of nowhere, even just for the time it takes to change that
tube? I expect most men would answer that yes, the majority of women
might answer differently. Fortunately, most of us have cell phones
these days, so even the "stranded" situations aren't as risky as in days
past, but given societal changes, perhaps they are even worse. I don't
know.

Probably like many men, I used to find it hard to relate to a woman's
sense of vulnerability. Then I met a man, a prison psychiatrist, who
told me the story of working in a prison, where he was the target of
violation from a very large, very hardened criminal who had nothing to
loose. Think about it guys. His detailed story will make the neck
hairs of the burliest of men rise, but I won't recount the depiction
here, but I can now really admire a woman who bikes alone.

For the record, anyone who wants to ride with me is welcome. I don't
get to ride much these days, but when I go, I do enjoy company. Truth
is, I've rarely had any. I've never been in a club or on a team. I've
competed, but always as an independent. I've trained hard, but always
as an individual. I have enjoy riding alone, but have also enjoyed that
rare companionship on the roads. Have you ever cycled up behind
someone, passed them, then ended up racing with them for miles on end to
find they are a good match for your abilities? I have, and it was one
of the best, most memorable rides of my life!

Best wishes!
-Doug

Bob M wrote:

I can understand that. My problem is that I don't have very strong hands
and fixing a flat would take me ten hours, so I'd probably just call a
cab
and go home, especially if it's getting late.

Take another tube with you and use tire levers. It's really not hard at
all. Personally, I don't patch tubes unless I have to (two flats in one
ride). If you can't blow up the tire, buy a cartridge system to do it for
you. I recommend taking a class at a local bike shop.

Cabs? Not in rural Connecticut!

--

Spammers be DAMNED!
Friendlies: change notmail to hotmail to reply.
Old August 22nd 03, 12:54 AM
Ken

Doug wrote in :
Fortunately, most of us have cell phones
these days, so even the "stranded" situations aren't as risky as in days
past, but given societal changes, perhaps they are even worse. I don't
know.

In most areas where I ride (recreationally), cell phones do not work. This is
in the hills around Silicon Valley, a somewhat technically aware community.
Old August 22nd 03, 01:08 AM
Marlene Blanshay

In article , Ken wrote:

Doug wrote in :
Fortunately, most of us have cell phones
these days, so even the "stranded" situations aren't as risky as in days
past, but given societal changes, perhaps they are even worse. I don't
know.

In most areas where I ride (recreationally), cell phones do not work.

This is
in the hills around Silicon Valley, a somewhat technically aware community.

Isn't that normal, that cell phones don't generally work in valleys and canyons?

I always think of this Steven Wright joke. "I have a friend named Eric.He
works as a radio DJ. When you're in a car with him and you drive through a
tunnel you can't hear what he says."
Old August 22nd 03, 05:51 AM
Hunrobe

wrote in part:

Probably like many men, I used to find it hard to relate to a woman's
sense of vulnerability. Then I met a man, a prison psychiatrist, who
told me the story of working in a prison, where he was the target of
violation from a very large, very hardened criminal who had nothing to
loose. Think about it guys. His detailed story will make the neck
hairs of the burliest of men rise, but I won't recount the depiction
here, but I can now really admire a woman who bikes alone.

Meaning no disrespect to anyone, you're comparing apples and oranges. Your
psychologist friend was working in a *prison*. Prisons tend to be populated by
bad people to a much greater degree than do even the worst of neighborhoods. A
modicum of caution is one thing. Paranoia is another. Let's not make heroism a
prerequisite for solo rides.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old August 22nd 03, 08:28 PM
James Messick

"M. Barbee" wrote in message

"Marlene Blanshay" wrote in message
Mind you, there is always the anxieties, like "What's that creak?" or
"what's that noise", or having an accident and being alone, and I'm not
exactly Miss Mechanic. But I go anyways and cross my fingers that

nothing
goes wrong. Is it like that everywhere, that women riding alone is
considered be some sort of daring feat?

I live in the DC area and I also see plenty of women commuting and some
taking recreational rides alone on these summer afternoons. But in both
situations there's a lot of other people out. I don't necessarily see it

as
a daring feat, but unfortunately there are some bad guys out there who

will
try to take advantage of women. There have been a few attacks on women
along multiuse trails in this area, but it was usually on women running

and
I see more women running on the trails alone than riding bikes alone. One
in particular involved a guy on a bike riding up behind a woman running

and
grabbing her butt and making a quick get away on his bike. I hope they
caught that guy.

And I hope she got her butt back!

Old August 23rd 03, 02:12 AM
John Thompson

In article , Per Elmsäter wrote:

Why would you need strong hands to fix a flat?

Well, y'know, "unless you're carrying a wrench..." :-)

Seriously, some tires, especially those with folding beads and high
pressure rating can take a good deal of wrestling to get seated on the
rim. It's much easier if you have large hands and a string grip.

--

-John )