Dogs

Old July 12th 03, 07:59 PM
Tom Sherman

Default Dogs

Marlene Blanshay wrote:

Great danes are huge but they are so mild mannered I wouldn't be afraid of
them. I had a friend whose bloodhound used to chase after everything (he
was always on a leash though)- roller bladers, skateboarders, kids playing
snowballs, kids playing hockey, cyclists. BUt he would never bite anyone
although he did try to grab some rollerbladers shorts!

I know someone who was bitten by a Great Dane while riding - it must
have been the exception to the rule.

Old July 13th 03, 09:55 PM
Hunrobe

Kevan Smith /\/\

wrote:

Dogs don't have to ride ... they get driven places. The other stuff is just
gravy.

"HAVE to ride"? That's like saying you "have to" make love to a beautiful
woman! Of course if you truly consider drinking from toilets, smelling strange
dogs' butts, and rolling in truly disgusting messes to be "gravy" I'd say
there's little danger that you'll be forced to make love to a beautiful woman.

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old July 13th 03, 10:12 PM
Zoot Katz

Fri, 11 Jul 2003 14:04:13 -0500,
, Kevan Smith
/\/\ wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 16:55:13 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" from
SBC http://yahoo.sbc.com wrote:

You *are* smarter
than the dog, which you can use to your advantage.

People work hard all day. Dogs sleep a ton, play and then people feed them for
free and scratch their backs and ears. Who's smarter?

When you've eaten as much homework as they have, you learn things.
--
zk
Old July 15th 03, 04:50 PM
Michael

GABIKE wrote:

Went riding yesterday and while I have been chased many times by dogs, I got
chased last night by a great dane, he was as tall as I was on the bike. Never
given this much thought in the past because a dog has never scared me before.
What do dogs do to riders if they ever catch them?

My personal experience is that most dogs just continue to make noise
beyond all reason. The only exception was a pit bull that made a pass
at my shoe but missed, went after the crank instead. In that case, the
a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled with ammonia that I carry came
in handy: one good, hard shot straight into that dog's eyes stopped it
cold.
Old July 16th 03, 03:17 AM
GABIKE

In that case, the
a reagent (squeeze-squirt) bottle filled with ammonia that I carry came
in handy: one good, hard shot straight into that dog's eyes stopped it
cold.

You should be reported for cruelty to animals. What if you had blinded the
dog
for life? A squirt bottle of water does the same thing just fine without the
cruelty

I would have to agree if it wasnt for the fact that he was being activly
attacked by the dog. Plain water doesnt always work. Would you have felt better
if the rider was mauled by the dog? At least the dog wouldnt be hurt.
Old July 16th 03, 08:43 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Tue, 15 Jul 2003 13:22:52 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, Kevan
Smith /\/\ wrote:

You should be reported for cruelty to animals. What if you had blinded the dog
for life? A squirt bottle of water does the same thing just fine without the
cruelty.

bull****. the dog should not be loose. yes, it's the owner's
fault, not the dog's, but that dog will probably never chase a
bike again.

Old July 17th 03, 12:29 AM
GABIKE

The dog would have been better off had it just been shot in the
head.

A gun is too heavy and is a liability in a crash.

If you want to carry a solution that will
sting a dog but not blind it, try salt water in a concentration just a little
higher than normal saline.

The dog will get plenty of a salt water concentration as hes shreading the
bikers sweat soaked jersey. Maybe that will stop the dog cold. The biker is
bleeding to death but the dog will be fine and thats what apparently matters.
Old July 17th 03, 05:42 AM
F1

You exaggerate the rights of an attacking animal.

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
On 16 Jul 2003 23:29:32 GMT, (GABIKE) from AOL

http://www.aol.com
wrote:

The dog would have been better off had it just been shot in the
head.

A gun is too heavy and is a liability in a crash.

If you want to carry a solution that will
sting a dog but not blind it, try salt water in a concentration just a

little
higher than normal saline.

The dog will get plenty of a salt water concentration as hes shreading

the
bikers sweat soaked jersey. Maybe that will stop the dog cold. The biker

is
bleeding to death but the dog will be fine and thats what apparently

matters.

You exaggerate the threat of dogs to cyclists.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace
I know how to do SPECIAL EFFECTS!!

Old July 17th 03, 08:08 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 00:38:51 -0500 in rec.bicycles.misc, Kevan
Smith /\/\ wrote:

I have been. It's not too difficult to extract yourself from the situation. You
might be scared of dogs -- that's OK. But it's not OK to torture animals with
caustic solutions.

where i live it's legal to 1) carry concealed without a permit
and 2) shoot loose dogs if they are chasing.

as far as i'm concerned, any defense against an attacking dog is
OK.