Cyclist Knocked off Bike Six Times

Old December 20th 05, 01:03 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Cyclist Knocked off Bike Six Times

From Page one of todays Townsville Bulletin'TB 20Dec05'
(http://tinyurl.com/9czly)

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...E14787,00.html

Bullying and inattentive drivers in the news again for running into
cyclist and not stopping.

From reading the story I dont understand why every incident was not
reported to Police.
I report all altercations when cycling regardless of how much info I do
or dont have. Nothing to investigate but it gets in the stats.

Hugh

--
HughMann

Old December 20th 05, 01:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

HughMann Wrote:
From Page one of todays Townsville Bulletin'TB 20Dec05'
(http://tinyurl.com/9czly)

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...E14787,00.html

Bullying and inattentive drivers in the news again for running into
cyclist and not stopping.

From reading the story I dont understand why every incident was not
reported to Police.
I report all altercations when cycling regardless of how much info I
do or dont have. Nothing to investigate but it gets in the stats.

Agreed, if it's not reported it's invisible. Doesn't matter if you
get rego or not, report it anyway.

I followed the link to the editorial:

Bad manners
LINDA Bateson's story is an extreme case of cycle rage but the uneasy
relationship between cars and bikes continues unabated.

In an ideal world, additional bike paths are the answer but given
budgetary constraints it is not only simplistic but unrealistic. In the
meantime, the problem could be eased if drivers exercised a healthy dose
of common courtesy.

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a... letin,00.html

The all too common refrain of `get bikes off the roads.' Bike paths
aren't the answer, basic human courtesy is.

--
EuanB

Old December 20th 05, 01:53 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2005-12-20, HughMann (aka Bruce)

From Page one of todays Townsville Bulletin'TB 20Dec05'
(http://tinyurl.com/9czly)

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...E14787,00.html

I think I might have to give up my crash bandicoot award. Look at
that fork!

Sounds like a competant cyclist -- rides 300 km some weeks.

--
TimC
I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my sister. --unk
Old December 20th 05, 04:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle

With five out of six drivers leaving the scene of an accident, one must
ask what the Qld Government thinks about introducing legal changes a la
SA's post-McGee review.

The editor needs some recalibration too.

Linda Bateson must be complimented on her guts. She should be heading
into Dick Smith to get a recording video camera to attach to her
helmet.

Donga

Old December 20th 05, 05:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Donga wrote:
With five out of six drivers leaving the scene of an accident, one must
ask what the Qld Government thinks about introducing legal changes a la
SA's post-McGee review.

The editor needs some recalibration too.

Linda Bateson must be complimented on her guts. She should be heading
into Dick Smith to get a recording video camera to attach to her
helmet.

Donga

I still believe she should report each incident to the police even if
she can't remember it. It's important for police to have numbers on how
many times hit and runs are occuring and the numbers in regards to
accidents involving cyclists. I used to think the same way. I thought
police couldn't do anything but after talking to the police about
certain issues I've completely changed my mind. Police need to be
informed.

Old December 20th 05, 07:58 AM posted to aus.bicycle

EuanB wrote in
:

HughMann Wrote:
From Page one of todays Townsville Bulletin'TB 20Dec05'
(http://tinyurl.com/9czly)

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...story_page/0,7
034,17617885%255E14787,00.html

Bullying and inattentive drivers in the news again for
running into cyclist and not stopping.

From reading the story I dont understand why every
incident was not reported to Police.
I report all altercations when cycling regardless of how
much info I do or dont have. Nothing to investigate but it
gets in the stats.

Agreed, if it's not reported it's invisible. Doesn't
matter if you get rego or not, report it anyway.

I followed the link to the editorial:

Bad manners
LINDA Bateson's story is an extreme case of cycle rage but
the uneasy relationship between cars and bikes continues
unabated.

In an ideal world, additional bike paths are the answer but
given budgetary constraints it is not only simplistic but
unrealistic. In the meantime, the problem could be eased if
drivers exercised a healthy dose of common courtesy.

http://townsvillebulletin.news.com.a...nindex2/0,5935,

qncomment%5Ecomment%5ETEXT%5Etownsvillebulletin,00 .html

The all too common refrain of `get bikes off the roads.'
Bike paths aren't the answer, basic human courtesy is.

I saw that comment and immediately replied to that effect.
Specifically

Bike paths are not the answer for commuting riders. They are
going to the same places as everyone else. Instead educate
the drivers.

Darn I might have buy the paper to see if it makes it. Nah
I'll just nick it from work.

Cheers

BrettM