A huge slap in the face

Old February 25th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fluxusmaximus

Default A huge slap in the face

I am writing this in the midst of feeling incredibly ****ed and
indignant. You see, I'm from Singapore. We've just celebrated winning
the rights to host the Youth Olympics in 2 years time.

I sent in an application to the Singapore Sports Council for a grant to
take part in Ride the Lobster a month back. Today I received a
rejection call from the Extreme and Adventure Sports division.

The lady called but didn't manage to reach me the first time round so
she sent an email. Very kind of her. A sentence stood out -

-"We have received your application. however,my department is handling
adventure and extreme sports projects. "-

I called her back and asked what the reason for rejection was. She said
that "single-wheeled bicycling" is not in the realm of extreme or
adventure sport. I asked what would be one and was told that "adventure
racing or sports like rock climbing" would fall in the categories. I
nicely told her that unicycling has always been portrayed in the media
as an extreme sport and we've received quite a lot of coverage for
that. Also, an 800km ride is pretty adventurous in my opinion.

She told me rather sarcastically to provide references to such media
publications to which I said that I have and they are all in the
appendix section of the proposal I sent her.

And her reply was a winner - "Oh, I've already passed that to my
colleague at bla bla bla and I can't look at it." Then she cut me off
and told me that her colleague at some Youth organization would get
back to me in a week or two and I was free to call her up again if that
doesn't happen.

I have spoken to the people at that particular organization before and
was told that they can't approve a grant for us because we're not a
registered organization - that's a good reason to give.

--
fluxusmaximus

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 25th 08, 04:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisteve

I guess you can't expect everyone to take unicycling seriously, but that
still sucks.

Can you re-apply or are there any other organizations that would give
out a similar kind of grant?

--
unisteve

-\"i agree, corporal punishment is the way to go.\"- --'james_potter'
(http://tinyurl.com/3cc6s6)

-\"where oh where is jc?\"- --'into the blue'
(http://tinyurl.com/393fat)
-\"seated at the right hand of his father? wassail!\"-
--'martin.phillips' (http://tinyurl.com/35zoqp)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 25th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

fluxusmaximus wrote:
I have spoken to the people at that particular organization before and
was told that they can't approve a grant for us because we're not a
registered organization - that's a good reason to give.

Actually that's often the case in countries that have such grant monies
to give. Of course, instead of saying a bunch of lame stuff to you in
the first place they might come out and say that first. Could it spark
the beginnings of a national unicycling organization for Singapore?

Anyway, sucks not to be able to get the grant. Now you'll have to do
what most of the rest of the participants will be doing -- paying their
own way there. Of course the option of getting there by car is way out
of the question...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 25th 08, 05:56 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ridingwithscissors

grrrr... I really -hate- people like that.

--
ridingwithscissors

*o* unicycle for earth *o*

habbywall wrote:
ridingwithscissors is officially dumb.

vanpaun wrote:
evil spelling nazi

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 26th 08, 04:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
keg

Whilst trying to find out the sports equipment limitations for Singapore
Air I found this link:

http://tinyurl.com/2b77vd

Might be worth a try?

--
keg
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 26th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
fluxusmaximus

Keg: Thanks a great deal on that link - we were going to try asking for
a sponsorship from them but I didn't know that they had this scheme
going.

John:we do have a national unicycling community here but we aren't
registered because with that comes a whole new set of rules that we
need to adhere to as stipulated by the law. Well, I guess if we start
off now by car and boat, we could reach by June...

--
fluxusmaximus

http://www.usenet.com
Old February 26th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

Maybe they would give a grant for an adventure race to get to Nova
Scotia and the starting line for RTL. Getting there would be an
adventure and it would be a race to get there in time.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 26th 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

Someone has already shown the way...

|Filename: spongebob smaller.jpg |

U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 27th 08, 12:08 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
manon1wheel

U-Turn wrote:
Someone has already shown the way...

the joke of the day.