Where can I find a wheel for this old-school Schwinn?

Old February 27th 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gotkrypto

Default Where can I find a wheel for this old-school Schwinn?

basically, my friend who happens to be a cyclist borrowed this old
schwinn unicycle from another friend who had it collecting dust, and
eventually the wheel buckled from his weight/going off a curb/rust. so
he went off and bought some fancy tube framed uni.

so now i have an old schwinn that has a 24/1.75" tire, and a cottered
crank. i'm a car mechanic, and i knew i'd have to get the old busted-up
wheel off of the fork anyways, so i took it apart, sandblasted it, and
painted it. i'm still learning (went 10' last night, wee) so i know
it'll get busted up anyways.

the guy at a reputable bike shop took one look at the crank and said he
couldn't help, and i'm not finding much searching on the internet. i
had HOPED to get this thing ridable for cheap....but i didn't realized
the cottered crank would pose such an availability problem.

so, as the title states...where can i buy a wheel for this thing?
...and cheap enough that it's not a lot more appealing to buy a whole
new 'cycle? :P

--
gotkrypto
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 27th 08, 11:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
U-Turn

gotkrypto wrote:
buy a whole new 'cycle

yup, that's right!

--
U-Turn

-- Dave Stockton
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 27th 08, 11:57 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

* Easiest: Buy a new unicycle

* Keep maximum parts: Find a 28-hole rim, use new spokes & tire.
Downside of this is you still have the outdated cottered crankset and
1/2" pedals. Not good for hopping/dropping.

* Keep new frame: Get a whole new wheel, with cotterless hub. If
Unicycle.com doesn't have any old Schwinn cotterless hubs try The
Unicycle Factory, (765) 452-2692 (Indiana). I bet he has them. Downside
is having to buy new cranks, pedals and tire, but you get to keep the
crappy old Schwinn seat!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 10:55 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gotkrypto

darn, i was hoping to learn and at least see if i'd use it enough before
plunking down a sizable amount of cash. oh well, at least i'm lucky
enough to keep trying on my friend's. :P

--
gotkrypto
http://www.usenet.com
Old February 28th 08, 11:14 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

uhmm
whats wrong with the unicycle??
the wheel is bent (beyond repair, or still rideable?)
the crank? whats wrong with that? elaborate please.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

do it for the joy, do it for the fun, do it for the looks, do it for
yourself.
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 2nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gotkrypto

the wheel buckled pretty dramatically....saw my friend go down the curb
and *crunch* wheel buckled in, then my ****ed-off friend proceeded to
smash the wheel further. i do still have the crank, but since i figured
i was replacing the wheel, when i was using a hydraulic press to press
the cotter pins out i bent the "round part where the spokes attach to"
a bit. it could probably be remedied, but the pictures i'll post in a
few will show you it's condition

--
gotkrypto
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 2nd 08, 05:47 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gotkrypto

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pto/parts.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pto/crank.jpg]

[image: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...to/crank2.jpg]

--
gotkrypto
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 06:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

You can always order a whole new wheel for a Schwinn. I did that when I
bought an almost identical uni to yours. It came with cranks and new
bearings; I think I had to put on the rim tape. My LBS ordered it. It
was around $50 total, so no breaking the bank. Give your LBS a visit
and see if they can order one; your Schwinn dealer's probably the best
bet, if you have one.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
http://www.usenet.com
Old March 3rd 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gotkrypto

well a supposedly reputable store close to me said he couldn't help
me...i suppose i'll go to another and see what i can get. :P

--
gotkrypto
http://www.usenet.com