Police pick on cyclist

Old December 1st 08, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

Default Police pick on cyclist

On Dec 1, 2:42*pm, David Hansen
wrote:
The report states he was stopped for not showing *any* lights,

The report reports the claims of the police. That does not prove
that he was not showing *any* lights.

The report reports the claims of both sides.

It may be that the police
simply failed to spot the lights amongst the general array of lights
on the road, it may be that the police were unable to see them as
the police were not in the right position (for example looking from
the side), it may be that their view was obstructed by something, it
may be that the police are lying, it may be that the report is
wrong. All sorts of possibilities.

But most likely, given his acceptance of a fixed penalty, that he
failed to display lights at night.

The police had already used threatening words and behaviour.

Where in the report did you read that?

No doubt this continued and the victim gave in.

I'm sure Mr "still shocked and angry" still has plenty of time to
challenge the FPN and have his day in court if he feels he has
suffered an injustice.

Calum
Old December 1st 08, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Daniel Barlow tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

If I shone my front light into the face of a police officer who'd
stopped me then I'd probably get done for assaulting a police officer

Try it with a Lupine Betty 14 and you'd probably be done for attempted
murder...

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Lu...ht/5360038399/

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old December 1st 08, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:12:53 -0800 (PST) someone who may be calum
wrote this:-

The report reports the claims of the police. That does not prove
that he was not showing *any* lights.

The report reports the claims of both sides.

I didn't claim otherwise.

But most likely, given his acceptance of a fixed penalty, that he
failed to display lights at night.

You think? Personally I think that it is the threatening words and
behaviour.

The police had already used threatening words and behaviour.

Where in the report did you read that?

The police undoubtedly used threatening words in their attempts to
make their victim provide information he did not have to provide.
The threatening words undoubtedly involved threats of arrest at the
roadside. The threatening behaviour included assaulting the victim
by placing him in handcuffs, taking him to a police station and
putting him in a cell. There were undoubtedly threatening words
during and after this too.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 1st 08, 05:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 15:09:40 +0000 someone who may be Rob Morley
wrote this:-

If he'd given his name and address rather than acting like a silly
bugger

So, refusing to provide information which the police have no right
to ask for is "acting like a silly bugger"? I'm sure they would have
liked you in East Germany.

Rights are not gained and preserved by allowing petty officials to
do what they want.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 1st 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Hansen

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 14:52:33 +0000 someone who may be Martin
wrote this:-

I do think that as Mr Cimini was making had some lights on his bike, he
should have just been given a ticking off, but then shinning it in the
cops face would not help his cause.

A police officer once shone a torch in my eyes, refused to point it
at the ground when I pointed out that it is impolite to shine lights
in people's faces and became lippy when I held my hand infront of my
face to stop myself being blinded by the torch.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Old December 1st 08, 05:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
calum

On Dec 1, 4:39*pm, David Hansen
wrote:
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 07:12:53 -0800 (PST) someone who may be calum

But most likely, given his acceptance of a fixed penalty, that he
failed to display lights at night.

You think? Personally I think that it is the threatening words and
behaviour.

We have differing opinions based on limited information, much of which
is assumption.
The one thing that doesn't seem to be disputed is that the cyclist
accepted a FPN.

Now that he's free from the police cell and any intimidation, real or
imaginary, one would hope he'd take a stance against this perceived
injustice and appeal the FPN. He wasn't too scared by the prospect of
arrest for failing to provide his identity so I'm sure some paperwork
isn't beyond him.

The police had already used threatening words and behaviour.

Where in the report did you read that?

The police undoubtedly used threatening words in their attempts to
make their victim provide information he did not have to provide.
The threatening words undoubtedly involved threats of arrest at the
roadside. The threatening behaviour included assaulting the victim
by placing him in handcuffs, taking him to a police station and
putting him in a cell. There were undoubtedly threatening words
during and after this too.

Wouldn't it have been a lot simpler to reply: "I didn't."?

Calum
Old December 1st 08, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old December 1st 08, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
judith smith

wrote this:-

If he'd given his name and address rather than acting like a silly
bugger

Why did he not provide his name and address when asked for it - they
believed that he had committed an offence.

It sounds like it was his own fault that he got arrested.

Old December 1st 08, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pk

"David Hansen" wrote in message

The police undoubtedly used threatening words in their attempts to
make their victim provide information he did not have to provide.
The threatening words undoubtedly involved threats of arrest at the
roadside. The threatening behaviour included assaulting the victim
by placing him in handcuffs, taking him to a police station and
putting him in a cell. There were undoubtedly threatening words
during and after this too.

I really would be fascinated to know the origins of your anti-police mindset
to which you give vent on many occasions - care to enlighten us?

pk

Old December 1st 08, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sir Jeremy

On 1 Dec, 14:12, "pk" wrote:
"David Hansen" wrote in message

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/topstories/Cyclist-fined-after-thre....

Rough translation:

"the cyclist got lippy and tried to be clever by shining the "light" in the
officer's face" so they nicked him.

pk

yep, failed the attitude test

Mystery Cyclist turns themselves over to Police... Gemma_k Australia 5 June 15th 06 11:56 AM
BBC - Cyclist Chased & Hit by Police car Adrian Boliston UK 39 September 20th 05 12:41 PM
Police officer injures cyclist David Hansen UK 5 June 4th 05 08:59 PM
Police kill cyclist MSeries UK 22 July 14th 04 01:27 PM
Chatting to a Police Cyclist Today [Not Responding] UK 14 June 19th 04 12:08 AM