Guns On Bikes???

Old February 25th 04, 02:05 AM
Bubba@FL

Default Guns On Bikes???

Why in the world would you need to carry a gun while riding a bike? If it is
truly that bad where you ride, I'd suggest another route. I live in Florida
and also possess a CCW but would never consider carrying a gun on my bike.
While the laws vary from state to state as to where a gun may be carried or
how it may be transported, most agree on one thing. The use of "deadly
force" MAY be allowed in a situation where there is absolutely no other
option. This means if you are able to run away or otherwise avoid a conflict
you ARE NOT justified to use deadly force. Depending upon the state you're
in, these conditions may not apply if you are in your home. In Florida, for
example, a law known as the Castle Doctrine says you MAY have the right to
use deadly force, without withdrawling, within your home should you believe
yourself or your family is in iminant danger. Notice that I capitolized the
words MAY. This is because, should you shoot someone, whether or not you
were justified to use deadly force will most likely be decided by a jury.
Anytime you use a gun, even if you just point it at someone, it becomes a
very serious situation and you will be held accountable for your actions. If
you do have a CCW in the state you're in, you should know it is your
responsibility, and no one elses, to know and understand all the laws
governing it. So please, be a responsible gun owner, be wise, and leave the
gun at home when you're out riding. Take care - BUBBA

Old February 25th 04, 01:51 PM
Doug Huffman

Thanks BUBBA. I'll take care of myself while armed with a concealed pistol
on my bike. You take care of yourself however you wish. Your opinions
are - hit the dictionary now - anile. I'm sure your opinions are heartfelt
like all opinions are. The only value in opinion is from the investment in
them and their expression. It appears that your investment is slim -
depauperate and intellectually impoverished.

I trust that this isn't the Pampering Baron of Florida.

om...

Old February 26th 04, 01:48 AM
Bubba@FL

OOOUCH! How does one get so paranoid? Not enough hugs as a child, maybe.
You see, Doug, those of us that do not suffer from from low self-esteem do
not feel the need to carry guns everywhere we go, nor do we need to try and
use elaborated words to make ourselves feel important. So please forgive me
for not being able to relate to your reasoning.
By the way, depauperate refers to a state of impoverishment. Therefore, your
statement is redundant. Do try better -
BUBBA

Doug Huffman wrote in message
Thanks BUBBA. I'll take care of myself while armed with a concealed

pistol
on my bike. You take care of yourself however you wish. Your opinions
are - hit the dictionary now - anile. I'm sure your opinions are

heartfelt
like all opinions are. The only value in opinion is from the investment

in
them and their expression. It appears that your investment is slim -
depauperate and intellectually impoverished.

I trust that this isn't the Pampering Baron of Florida.

om...

Old February 26th 04, 05:59 AM
Doug Huffman

So your dictionary didn't include 'anile'? Or you went to your
pop-psychology textbook? Lets ride, you leave the philosophizing to me.

m...

| |
| |
| |

Old February 26th 04, 05:29 PM
Robert Haston

Oooh! the old "pop psychology" comeback. That's about as original as
platform shoes. I'm just wondering when we get to the part where you say
"If people like you ran America, we would be speaking (German, Russian,
Arabic, etc.) right now".

As if carrying around a concealed handgun is a purely logical thing, with no
emotional factors at all. I feel and act different when I drive the big
diesel work truck versus my lay back and be friendly recumbent bike. I feel
different when I'm carrying a gun. At first it is kind of exciting and
comforting, but after a while, either creeps me out. Maybe after a long
while you pretty much forget about it - rather like the shotgun in my
closet.

Here's where the guns on bikes thing didn't work: Truck driver yells at
cyclist to get off road (you can bet that was true) cyclist flips off
trucker (would he if he wasn't carrying?). Trucker drives towards cyclist,
who pulls piece and tries to play Barney Fife - pretty stupid since the
charges reflect he was carrying illegally. Cyclist wounds driver - who then
rams cyclist (He could have probably killed him and gotten away with it).
Cyclist arrested for murder 2.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04040/270970.stm

Not that legal concealed carry is a big issue, but the I've got a gun - I'm
not going to take that crap is a valid facet. you know, like westerns where
everyone was packing so every slight turns into a duel.

It reminds me of the video where a Moron purposefully has a fender bender
with a neighbor who likes pull out the wrong way down a road Y in front of
his house so he can save a half minute or so. Moron's wife is videoing the
whole thing (can you say premeditated?) His stupidity is further proven by
his openly approaching his neighbor's truck with his gun out. His neighbor
slides out the other side with his 357, using his big truck as cover. The
guy completely validates his stupidity by standing there and having a "quick
draw" contest with a guy who already has cover and the drop on him. The
video ends with Moron's wife screaming "He's down, stop shooting him!" while
Neighbor methodically puts the last of three bullets in his now kneeling
body. I just hope he didn't have kids - for their and the gene pool's sake.

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
So your dictionary didn't include 'anile'? Or you went to your
pop-psychology textbook? Lets ride, you leave the philosophizing to me.

m...

Old February 26th 04, 02:25 AM
Robert Haston

Let me guess, you got anile and depauperate from your "NRA thesaurus of
arcane insults"? I guess they didn't offer advice that metaphors work best
singly - slim, depauperate and impoverished?

"Doug Huffman" wrote in message
Thanks BUBBA. I'll take care of myself while armed with a concealed

pistol
on my bike. You take care of yourself however you wish. Your opinions
are - hit the dictionary now - anile. I'm sure your opinions are

heartfelt
like all opinions are. The only value in opinion is from the investment

in
them and their expression. It appears that your investment is slim -
depauperate and intellectually impoverished.

I trust that this isn't the Pampering Baron of Florida.

om...

Old February 25th 04, 06:10 PM
trg

"Bubba@FL" wrote in message
om...
Why in the world would you need to carry a gun while riding a bike?

Maybe he had trouble getting a fish?

Old February 26th 04, 01:50 AM
Robert Haston

You have to consider where and when you ride. I thought about it when I
lived outside of Miami. There may be a few places where this is necessary.
Some people just carry them for insurance. I guess lugging around a few
pounds of steel your whole life for the off chance you will get in a
situation where a gun gets you out of trouble (more than the chance it gets
you into more trouble) is worth it to some people. Other than that, some
people just like carrying a gun around.

It is somewhat like the roads versus paths argument, where some say either
is totally idiotic. It depends on the cyclist, road, the path, the traffic
on the road or path, the time of day, head/tailwinds, your mood, etc. I
ride to and from work where a path and road are roughly parallel. I take
all different combinations.

om...

Old February 28th 04, 03:55 PM
Christopher R. Law

I've often thought about carry a gun while riding. Not a real one, a replica or
realistic looking toy one. Carried in plain sight.

I wouldn't draw it naturally, just wear in on my back or strapped to my waist.
Now how many yahoos are going to delibrately buzz me or throw garbage at me,
seeing what they think is an Uzi?

Chris Law
Greater Newark, DE

Science Proves Mountain Biking Is More Harmful Than Hiking Stephen Baker Mountain Biking 18 July 16th 04 04:28 AM
Frequently Asked Questions about Mountain Biking BB Mountain Biking 31 July 4th 04 02:35 AM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
£40,000 of Giant bikes stolen -Little Tricycle Pink Pink 10" David L Mountain Biking 0 November 5th 03 11:06 PM