HELP Severe cramp in calves

Old March 20th 04, 02:49 PM
RobD

Default HELP Severe cramp in calves

Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to reduce the onset of
cramps in my calves after a ride and ocasionally durring a time trial run
the cramps are very severe leaving me compleatly debilitated with the pain
for about a minute and tender calves for about a day.
Im not a cycling pro , got back into road riding about 6 months ago and have
beeen gradually trying to improve my fitness on a local TT route here in
northamptonshire ,UK.
I REALLY enjoy my cycling and want to find a solution to this. Any
sujestions would be greatly appreaciated.

Rob D

Old March 20th 04, 03:07 PM
Mitch Haley

Sometimes cramps are related to something simple, like dehydration.
It can't hurt to try drinking more and see if it helps.
Mitch.
Old March 20th 04, 07:39 PM
Bill Z.

Mitch Haley writes:

Sometimes cramps are related to something simple, like dehydration.
It can't hurt to try drinking more and see if it helps.
Mitch.

An electrolyte imbalance can also hurt. If so, you might want to
add a "pinch of salt" to the fluids (unless using gatoraide or
similar drinks that provide it for you.)

--
My real name backwards: nemuaZ lliB
Old March 20th 04, 10:04 PM
trg

Bill Z. wrote:
Mitch Haley writes:

Sometimes cramps are related to something simple, like dehydration.
It can't hurt to try drinking more and see if it helps.
Mitch.

An electrolyte imbalance can also hurt. If so, you might want to
add a "pinch of salt" to the fluids (unless using gatoraide or
similar drinks that provide it for you.)

Most common is simple dehydration. Then salt. In my case, that wasn't it.
Turns out I was low on magnesium. I chew a lot of Tums. High Calcium can
cause low magnesium. Certain meds can also effect the balance. Do you take
any meds or antacids?

Old March 20th 04, 04:35 PM
Ken

"RobD" wrote in news:1RR6c.444$94.284@newsfe1-win:
Hi hope someone can advise me of any exercise / diet to reduce the onset
of cramps in my calves after a ride and ocasionally durring a time trial

Most common cause of cramps is dehydration