Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 4th 03, 11:02 PM
Mike Beauchamp

Default Considering a Road bike for commuting... good idea?

Hey all,
I'm considering purchasing a new bicycle (Maybe $800 CDN total) to replace
my nearly 8 year old Mongoose IBOC Pro mountain bike. I used to use it mainy
for offroad but a knee injury stopped that, and in the past few years I've
used it purely for commuting (10K's to school and back, 30-40K rides on
weekends, stuff like that).

I'm just wondering if purchasing a road bike would be more appropriate than
a mountain bike. I most certainly don't want to be one of those kids riding
on the side of the road with a fully suspended downhill mountain bike with
the seat all the way down bouncing up and down on each pedal stroke.

I want something that can use my energy as efficiently as possible, and get
me going as fast as possible. Like many commuters here I'm sure, it's
definately more fun going nearly the speed of the cars instead of having
them wizz past you. Is a road bike as fast as I think it is?

In the past few years, I've added slicks to my mountain bike, etc. All in
the name of a smoother and more efficient ride on pavement.

Here's my concern. Obviously a road bike is going to be a more harsh ride,
with the small tires and the high air pressure, etc. Are small bumps in the
road going to be as bad as I think they are? Is that why I don't see too
many people riding around the streets on nice road bikes?

I'm going to go try a few road bikes out tomorrow, mainly for fun.. but I'm
wondering what people think in here. Should I stick with a mountain bike?
Another reason for wanting to get a road bike is that I can convert my
mountain bike back to offroad and have two bicycles for whatever type of
riding I want to do.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com

Is 15 mile road bike commute too far? Jeffrey Pogodzinski General 39 August 7th 03 04:41 PM
Unbridled Hostility one of the six billion General 37 July 30th 03 08:10 AM
good bike shop..?? Froats General 0 July 16th 03 11:58 PM
ATB pedal on Road Bike Dave Stallard General 4 July 12th 03 01:23 AM
How to identify this older Peugeot road bike? Rick Onanian General 6 July 11th 03 08:57 PM