For the safety of others, please keep off the highways

Old July 27th 03, 08:25 AM
Hunrobe

Default For the safety of others, please keep off the highways

"Pat"

wrote in part:

Sure, liberals could say equally silly things, however, it is also
ridiculous to say that when an avowed conservative,i.e., a member of a
well-known right wing organization who uses that affiliation to give her
statements credibility and weight, says something outrageous we should
immediately say, "Well, liberals could also say something ridiculous if they
would." No, a person's statements have to stand on their own---not with a
"everybody does it!" excuse.

"Excuse"? I wasn't excusing her idiocy. I was merely answering your question-
"Can you imagine a liberal writing such a thing?"
There are stupid people of all political persuasions.

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Old July 28th 03, 12:17 AM
James Hodson

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 14:23:46 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

[SNIP]

Whenever one of these
projects is started, the landowners bring up hoary scare stories about
"hobos" and "marauding bands of thieves" that would invariably descend upon
the innocent landowners to rob them blind--and, using the trail, disappear
into the big city from which they came. This, they claim, must be stopped
before it begins! To arms! To arms! All of this is just bunkum!

Hi Pat

I'm not too surprised. I used to live in a village called Bramley in
the county of Surrey (southern England). Behind my house was a disused
railway track.

Several years ago, some time after I'd left the area, it was decided
to make this former train track into a cycle path. In fact, it's a
part of the cycle path I mentioned in my reply to Michael's post.
Although there had been a muddy non-cycle path along the same route
for some 25 years the locals only started complain once a change of
use had been suggested. In truth, there was no real change of use
involved at all as cyclists, walkers etc. had always used the track.

You will not be too astonished to hear that the same excuses about
"hobos" and "marauding bands of thieves" were put forward on this side
of the pond. (OK, maybe the word "hobo" wasn't used. Linguistic
differences!) Incidentally, none of the home owners actually owned
this path; it was just a strip of land behind their back gardens.

I understand that those once-complaining locals now quite like having
a cycle path nearby as its presence enhances the value of their
properties. Easy access to the countryside and all that.

Regards
James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 28th 03, 04:04 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

[...]

I have to tell you that the use of the word "hobo" seems to be confined to
the elderly in Texas. I have never heard this word used by a person under 75
years old. Most of the people fighting the "rails to trails" concept have
indeed been elderly--people who do not want change in any form. It's the
old "I've got mine" argument.

Pat in TX

Old July 28th 03, 05:57 PM
Fritz M

"Pat" wrote:

I have to tell you that the use of the word "hobo" seems to be
confined to the elderly in Texas.

You should work in a soup kitchen or men's shelter sometime. Most homeless
are not hobos but I've run across a few. Increased security at rail yards
because of the recent interest in terrorism has made life for hobos
increasingly difficult.

RFM
--
To reply, translate domain from l33+ 2p33| to alpha.
4=a 0=o 3=e +=t
Old July 28th 03, 11:02 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

I have to tell you that the use of the word "hobo" seems to be
confined to the elderly in Texas.

You should work in a soup kitchen or men's shelter sometime. Most

homeless
are not hobos but I've run across a few. Increased security at rail yards
because of the recent interest in terrorism has made life for hobos
increasingly difficult.

RFM

I'm not saying that "hobos" don't exist, but it seems to me that younger
people call them "homeless" men instead of using the word "hobo." Wasn't
"hobo" a word for a rootless man who would work off and on while traveling
around by rail? Other words I hear the elderly use are "doper" for somebody
smoking marijuana, or "druggie" for someone using illegal drugs. My M-I-L
won't take any strong pain killers for her degenerative disc disease because
she "doesn't want my friends to know I'm a druggie!" So, she suffers in
pain instead.

Pat in TX

Old July 28th 03, 11:45 PM
ThreeLeggedDog

Has anyone responded to this article in the same publication?
Old July 29th 03, 01:56 AM
Sorni

"ThreeLeggedDog" wrote in message
om...

Has anyone responded to this article in the same publication?

What article? What publication?!?

Fan of Attribution Bill

Old July 29th 03, 01:57 PM
James Hodson

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003 17:02:26 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

I'm not saying that "hobos" don't exist, but it seems to me that younger
people call them "homeless" men instead of using the word "hobo." Wasn't
"hobo" a word for a rootless man who would work off and on while traveling
around by rail? Other words I hear the elderly use are "doper" for somebody
smoking marijuana, or "druggie" for someone using illegal drugs. My M-I-L
won't take any strong pain killers for her degenerative disc disease because
she "doesn't want my friends to know I'm a druggie!" So, she suffers in
pain instead.

I feel sorry for your M-I-L, Pat. Having said that, I tend to avoid
pain killers but for a different reason. I'd probably end up taking
them for the rest of my life if I started now.

Quite a few years ago, in my nice, quiet and reasonably genteel town,
without thinking I asked a middle aged lady where I could buy some
drugs. Needless to say, she was a little shocked. I actually meant to
ask her where was the nearest pharmacy as I needed to get my latest
dose of anti-convulsant medication. My doctor had just given me a
prescription.

Note to self: "Engage brain before opening mouth." I've been telling
myself that for years :-)

From this side of the pond I'd always thought of a hobo as a homeless,
free-spitited person who travels around in boxcars.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg