Problems with Thule Speedway 961?

Old July 21st 03, 03:34 AM
Nomad

Default Problems with Thule Speedway 961?

I just got a 2-bike trunk mounted Thule speedway. The first time I used it,
the sidestraps loosened and unhooked. This was after a short drive. The
next few times I used it and mounted the sides tightly, they still came
loose but did not unhook. These were all after short 5 mile drives. I've
been reluctant to drive farther with the bikes hitched.

I can tie the straps differently to make sure they don't come loose, but
wasn't it supposed to be easy to mount? I'm thinking of returning it for a
Yakima Mojo instead. Is that any better?

OR, are the side straps supposed to be loose?

Old July 21st 03, 08:36 PM
rb

I have the 3-bike Thule model 962. I don't have any problems with
side straps loosening. They should be tight. Make sure the straps are
threaded correctly through the buckles and you have the loose strap
ends tied with the rubber hold-downs that Thule supplies. Check for
anything slippery on the nylon strap fabric.
You did not mention the bottom straps. These straps are the other end
of the side straps and they hook onto the bottom edge of my trunk lid.
Similarly examine them.
There are six clamps on my 962. Two for the sides, two for the bottom
of the trunk lid, and two for the top of the trunk lid. I get the
straps nearly, but not quite, tight enough to vibrate like a guitar
string when I strum them.
(Try playing Jimi Hendrix's Star-Spangled Banner... just kidding,
Nomad

rick