How many bikes do you have?

Old July 24th 03, 06:34 PM
Zoot Katz

Default How many bikes do you have?

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:23:29 -0400,
,
Don Wiss wrote:

a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica,
recumbent or other whacked out bike all bike whackos must have.

Which are most appropriate to ride in your local Critical Mass, which is
tomorrow!

I like my fixey for CM because it's easiest for one-armed hold-ups!
--
zk
Old July 24th 03, 06:44 PM
RainMan

Your wife doesn't mind your riding her bike each week?

"Fred" wrote in message
. ..
4. A road bike, a hybrid, a mountain bike and a hybrid for my wife. I

ride
every one of them every week.

Fred

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Old July 24th 03, 07:09 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer wrote:

Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

The more the merrier. I have a recumbent, a tourer, a mountain bike
and a triplet - and I want a road bike and a recumbent trike as well
:-)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony.
http://www.chapmancentral.com
[currently offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]
Old July 24th 03, 08:42 PM

Zoot Katz wrote:

: Logically, four bikes are the absolute minimum.

Given the magnificent versatility of recumbents, I've come to
think of three. You know, like Father, Son and The Holy Spirit and
all that. So here they come:

Practical recumbent: trike for commuting and touring.

All-around upright: hybrid for stuff "bents can't do". (A mountain
bike might be better dunno, I do lots of [sub]urban commuting.)

Lightning fast recumbent: for the races and speed records.
Something very special, probably fully faired and capable of 70+
km/h. Possibly able to be ridden on open road. Only exists in my
dreams so far :-)

BTW I recall we did this thread last Fall

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html
varis at no spam please iki fi
Old July 24th 03, 08:45 PM
Rick Warner

My answer to the question is ... too many, and not enough. I have 3
at
present:

1) Fast road bike/triathlon bike
2) Utilitarian road bike/training bike
3) Touring bike with coupled frame

Just got rid of the hardtail MTB for a number of reasons. An MTB
might
be in the future, but due to an injury last year it will have to be
different. It may end up being a fat-tired road bike, aka a Rivendell
Atlantis or Rambouillet. Then there is the 'need' for a tandem (may
push the utilitarian bike out the door).

I find at the very least I really want 2 bikes. I found that out when
I had
collapsed the stable to a single bike that had a frame problem
(failure of BB
shell). Took the LBS/manufacturer 12 weeks to get a warranty
replacement in
my hands. Then a few months later there was a weld problem on the
frame; another
4 weeks+ without a bike. Really want that second set of wheels so I
am
not stranded in the future.

- rick
Old July 24th 03, 08:45 PM
henry

Whoah--thanks, I had no idea that was the formula...

"honey, rbr says I need another bike...."

ie
ride fast, take chances

"joel roth" wrote in message
The correct number of bikes to own is N +1, where N is equal to the
current number of bikes that you own.

Joel

Old July 24th 03, 10:20 PM
Michael

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Absolutely.

I consider bikes tools - gotta have the right one for the job. You need:

1) a road bike for fast rides in good weather
2) a MTB or hybrid for off-road and/or family rides
3) an all-weather commuting bike
4) a tandem to take along a friend or family member
5) a single-speed for fun and form.

I've got 3 of the 5, and intend to have all within a few years.

Sell the car if you need to.

Michael
Old July 24th 03, 10:46 PM
James Hodson

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer wrote:

Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Just two. Orbea Larrau (road bike) and an old Trek 4300 (rigid) hack
around town MTB(ish) steed.

James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 24th 03, 10:51 PM

henry wrote:
: Whoah--thanks, I had no idea that was the formula...

Of course, it's easy to prove by mathematical induction.

Benefits of college education...

Old July 25th 03, 02:30 AM
John Everett

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer wrote:

Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

You'll get a wide range of answers, but I have six.

1) A restored 1965 or 66 (not sure) Peugeot PX10E. This spends most of
its time hanging from my living room wall.

2) A 1989 (or so) Trek 1400, my "beater" road bike.

3) A 1992 Vitus 992, my "good" road bike.

4) A Nishiki Linear "funny bike" of indeterminent age. I used to TT,
but haven't even ridden it in a few years. Perhaps I should sell it.

5) A Fuji Touring Series, also of unknown vintage. Everyone should
have a touring bike with a granny for those trips to the Colorado
Rockies (leaving next Wednesday for this year's visit).

6) A mountain bike built from a discarded Trek prototype OCLV frame.
If you're going to have a MTB it might as well be unique. :-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

18" Boy's and 22" Girl's Bikes? Paul C. Cox General 3 July 23rd 03 01:58 AM
ladies mountain bikes Alastair General 9 July 23rd 03 01:18 AM
Prego's and bikes sunkissed General 7 July 21st 03 01:28 AM
Rank Theses Bikes From Best to Worst Rich General 4 July 16th 03 09:35 PM
Van Tuyl Bikes? nobody General 1 July 15th 03 09:32 AM