How many bikes do you have?

Old July 25th 03, 03:20 AM
Eric Murray

Default How many bikes do you have?

In article ,
MisNomer wrote:
Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Only if your riding requires it.
More bikes means more maintenance.

I have a road bike and a mountain bike.

When I lived where it was practical to commute
by bike I had three bikes-- road, mountain and
a commuter with fenders and lights.

I think that's the normal number for a bikie.

Eric

Old July 25th 03, 03:28 AM
Mike Kruger

Jim Price wrote:

2 unicycles (20" and 2")

Is 2 inch a typo, or a unicycle with an in-line skating wheel?
Nice homebuilt recumbent, by the way.

Old July 25th 03, 03:37 AM
Mike Kruger

"MisNomer" wrote in message
which brings up another question.... where do you keep these bikes.

I want to convert the shed outside into a "bike garage". The man says

"where
are we going to put the lawnmower"?

Answer: I got hooks, and hang some of the bikes by the front wheel from the
ceiling in the rear of the shed. This provides ground clearance to put the
lawnmower beneath. There is, of course, a tendency to ride whichever bike is
closest to the door of the shed.

I've got 6 bikes, daughter #1 (21) has 2, daughter #2 (16) has 3. Wife has
0.
We have a bad habit of rescuing bikes from dumpsters.

But, in my defense, my 6 are all different:
Road bike, set up for touring/commuting.
Road bike, set up for day rides (lighter)
Mountain bike
Hybrid, used in rain/winter, with fenders and 2nd wheel set for studded
tires.
Recumbent
Tandem

I actually came close to buying a unicycle a couple of years ago, but then
broke a finger playing basketball and recovered from the unicycle urge by
the time it healed.

Old July 25th 03, 05:17 AM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Chalo wrote in message . ..
4 practical 700c bikes, a tad offbeat perhaps, but normal riding
2 recognizable MTBs
1 extravagant made-to-measure custom MTB, too nice for dirt really
2 choppers
1 tallbike
1 stretched-frame cruiser with a crack in it
1 human-powered sulky
1 adult-sized Big Wheel trike
1 20" wheeled bike that defies brief description
1 wild 3-wheeler that defies pretty much everything

Why not sell that whole mess and get yourself
something like an 52cm Pinarello in team Fasso
Bortolo colors?

Old July 25th 03, 07:27 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
MisNomer writes:
Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Maybe everybody who has (or had) at least one physical bike
also has a Spirit Bike -- the one we sometimes dream about
riding, in those dreams that refresh and rekindle our joy
of cycling.

There was a time when I almost forgot that joy, and had been
bikeless for a number of years, when one such dream of riding
reminded me of what I was missing. After that, I /had/ to
ride again. So, of course, I did.

I've seen many posts here, from people who've suddenly felt
the impulse to return to cycling after a long, bikeless
"hiatus". I bet a lot of them have had that same personal
experience of their spirit bikes compelling and nagging at
them to get back into riding again.

I think everyone who has dreams and has ever ridden a bike,
has a spirit bike in their fleet.

One nice thing about spirit bikes is, they don't get stolen.
In fact, many of 'em might be ethereal representations of
ppl's physical bikes that got stolen and not replaced.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 25th 03, 12:05 PM
Luigi de Guzman

in London:

-Bekah, a hot pink 80something MBK mixte, moustache bars, rack,
fender, Sachs torpedo 3-speed hub. Theft-resistant transport.

at home:

-1984 Raleigh Super Sprint. My first 'nice' bike, sadly hors de
combat after trashing the rear wheel riding to impress a lycra goddess
I haven't seen since

-2001 Jamis Aurora. my main 'home' bike, my nicest bike ever, the
bike I miss when I'm away.

-Luigi

"You can be my sinful secret,
I can tell my kids about you
Though I could never lie--
And I hope someday you'd ask"
-Barbie's Cradle, "Belinda Bye Bye"
Old July 25th 03, 01:24 PM
Peter Cole

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

I have 5:

Cannondale touring frame, with aerobars and 2 wheel sets, "touring/randon",
"race"
Fixed gear, made from 80's Fuji touring frame
"Good" MTB, hardtail
"Beater" MTB, fully rigid
"Shopping bike", 80's Schwinn Le Tour, swap show find, never ridden

my son has 3 (road, beater, MTB)
my wife has 2 (commuter, MTB)
daughter has 1 (MTB)

All are ridden at least weekly, components constantly "trickle down". My son &
I have had great fun building/modifying most of these bikes.

One of these days I'd really like to get a tandem.

Old July 25th 03, 04:44 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Kevan Smith wrote in message ...
Oh, gag a maggot!

What he needs is the new Bianchi EV4 with Campy Record.

But Bartoli and Frigo ride Pinarellos, let's do this the right
and proper way.

Old July 25th 03, 05:29 PM
Thomas Reynolds

"James Messick" wrote in message r.com...
7, which is 4 too many. We also need 1-2 more.

"MisNomer" wrote in message
Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

I have:
1 Road bike for competition (the best of everything I have)
1 Road bike for commuting (fenders, lights etc)
1 Road bike used as a backup for the above two, and for lunchtime
rides
1 Road bike for my wife
1 Road bike that sits on a trainer
1 Tandem road bike (pristine old Schwinn Paramount)

The above bikes are all used on a regular basis. I also have the
following bikes (which I got for free):
1 Mountain bike that I am fixing up to ride to the store (trying to
make it as ugly as possible so no one will steal it).
1 Schwinn Suburban, a girls bike from the late 60s, with fenders,
reflectors, 10 speed, upright handlebars, coiled springs under the
seat. In great shape. I never ride it.
1 Peugeot road bike from the early 80s. I just got it. I haven't
figured out what to use it for yet.

Tom
Old July 25th 03, 05:37 PM
Alexander Gilchrist

1 road bike, 1 touring bike, 1 mountain bike, 1 ATB knockaround, and 1
old ten-speed. My 13-year old has 1 road bike, 1 touring bike, 1
mountain bike, 1 ATB knockaround, 1 24" which she outgrew but keeps for
friends who sleepoveer but don't have bikes, and 1 26" ATB with a 13"
frame which she outgrew but keeps for the same reasons.

Alexander Gilchrist

18" Boy's and 22" Girl's Bikes? Paul C. Cox General 3 July 23rd 03 01:58 AM
ladies mountain bikes Alastair General 9 July 23rd 03 01:18 AM
Prego's and bikes sunkissed General 7 July 21st 03 01:28 AM
Rank Theses Bikes From Best to Worst Rich General 4 July 16th 03 09:35 PM
Van Tuyl Bikes? nobody General 1 July 15th 03 09:32 AM