KH/Schlumpf Hub - loose bearing cup??

Old April 19th 08, 05:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Default KH/Schlumpf Hub - loose bearing cup??

I've never had this happen before. A bearing cup came loose while I was
riding. I did a ~35mile ride yesterday with a mix of asphalt and dirt,
and toward the end after a UPD I noticed that the wheel looked crooked.
When I looked more closely I saw that the non-tightened down bearing
cup on my geared KH29 had come loose. The bolts had backed themselves
out somehow, fortunately not enough for them to fall out.

Has anyone else had this happen? Do you think it is specific to using
the geared hub? Maybe the shortish 125 mm cranks? Too much bumpy
offroad or climbing while geared up?

--
phlegm
Old April 19th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Loose bearing cups/holders can happen on any unicycle. You were lucky to
notice while you still had the bolts! Back in the bad old days,
inexpensive unicycles with main cap bearings just had lockwashers, if
those. We replaced them with those self-locking nuts with the nylon
inside. Those seem to stay put much better than anything else.

Any time you reassemble the wheel into the frame, expect to need to
tighten those bolts after a bit of riding. It's when you forget to do
this you usually have problems (I speak from experience)...

The same applies to square taper cranks.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old April 19th 08, 08:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

What seems strange to me is that I've never had a bearing cup go that
loose before, and I had just checked all the bolts right before my ride
yesterday. Maybe I need to loctite them.

--
phlegm
Old April 19th 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jim

Is this with a new Kris Holm frame? When they are a new there is often
some blue stuff on the bolts which I think is threadlock, if you were
re-using an old frame this threadlock might have worn off.

Just an idea.

It may be the bearing cups need tightening more with KH Schlumpf hubs -
I don't own one of these hubs so am not an expert.

jim

--
Jim
Old April 20th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pkittle

I've had this happen several times. Now I use blue loctite on the bolt
threads each time I remove and reinstall those bolts.

--
pkittle

*==========================
Peter Kittle * Chico, CA
"The Revolution is just a t-shirt away."
--Billy Bragg
Old April 20th 08, 04:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
chuckaeronut

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. A bit of loctite should do you fine,
methinks. I have stuff go loose all the time, and I loctite it, and it
helps (and most of the time, completely cures), but I always still
bring my tools along.

--
chuckaeronut

Uni to work, work to eat, eat to live, live to uni.
Old April 20th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

I had the same bearing cap on the same side come loose while I was
riding my kh/schlumpf guni...and I lost a bolt. It was because I did
not have that side tightened as much as I should...this was the only
time as bearing cap has come loose for me as well, so I made sure to
tighten that side a little more than usual as well.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

36’’ Schlumpf hendyjr05 Unicycling 31 October 29th 07 11:58 PM
36’’ Schlumpf Daytripper63 Unicycling 0 October 27th 07 12:16 AM
Bearing problem: Stuck/Shifted bearing Evan Byrne Unicycling 26 August 3rd 07 07:01 PM
Schlumpf reaction arm worked loose Klaas Bil Unicycling 1 May 17th 06 09:46 PM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM