Unicyclist Ben Linder, a brief biography.

Old May 23rd 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Unicyclist Ben Linder, a brief biography.

Although I occasionally re-read this thread, I hadn't thought of
resurecting it for some time. After JJuggle's listing of Ben as a
Unicycle Idol I did a bit of Googling as I knew it was getting close to
20 years but that will be next Spring.

On Wiki I found out that Sting dedicated his song "Fragile" to the
memory of Ben and I though that was worth mentioning and adding to the
thread.

'Fragile' (http://stingetc.com/lyrics/)
From the album Nothing Like the Sun (A&M)
Words and music by Sting

If blood will flow when flesh and steel are one
Drying in the color of the evening sun
Tomorrow's rain will wash the stains away
But something in our minds will always stay

Perhaps this final act was meant
To clinch a lifetime's argument
That nothing comes from violence
and nothing ever could
For all those born beneath an angry star
Lest we forget how fragile we are

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are
How fragile we are

On and on the rain will fall
Like tears from a star like tears from a star
On and on the rain will say
How fragile we are
How fragile we are

http://www.learningfromlyrics.org/Fragile.html

*'Fragile' (http://tinyurl.com/fucvu)* Dedicated to the memory of
engineer Ben Linder, killed by the Contras in central America, this one
has gotten a recent revival from the awful events of September 11th.
It's one of the best things that Sting has ever written.

So, if you haven't seen this tread before, enjoy a good read.

--
UniBrier

Steve

Hop Drop & Roll

“If something is to hard to do, then it's not worth doing. You just
stick that guitar in the closet next to your
shortwave radio, your karate outfit and your unicycle and we'll go
inside and watch TV.” – Homer
UniBrier's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1404

Old May 23rd 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Wow! Just read the thread from beginning to end. Very touching to say
the least. I was just over a month old when he died. He sounds like one
hell of a unicyclist!

Edd

--
Eddbmxdude

Its like England here....Iv never seen so much sun!

"May you tread lightly through the dark time of the day and may your
nose stay chunk-free." - Mrboogiejuice

"Unicycling only makes you look like a freak when you're riding." -
Unisteve
Eddbmxdude's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11584

Old April 20th 08, 11:36 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mikepenton

UniBrier wrote:
This will probably be the last time I resurrect this thread.

Well Steve, let me resurrect it for you (a few days early, but never
mind).

After reading this thread I bought the book The Death of Ben Linder
from 'Amazon' (http://tinyurl.com/6lesk7) and it was riveting. I learnt
a lot about a fascinating person, country and situation. The joy he
gave so many people and the drive he had is so inspiring.

In 20 years time, I hope this thread will have been bumped at least
another 20 times. If just one more person reads his story then it's
worth it.

Mike

--
mikepenton

Uni - The Unicycle Magazine
'www.unicyclemagazine.com' (http://www.unicyclemagazine.com)
Old April 20th 08, 01:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
napalm

Thankyou for remembering this inspirational man and his story, and
bringing it to the next crop of unicyclists.
mark

--
napalm

you wont do it...your SCARED!
"We are all racing towards death. No matter how many great,
intellectual conclusionswe draw during our lives, we know they are only
man made, like God"
http://gallery.unicyclist.com/LAVISs-stuff
Old April 20th 08, 02:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lunicycle

Inspirational, thank you.

Would it be possible to repair the gallery of Ben's images at
http://tinyurl.com/yugs7a so the links to the larger images work?

--
lunicycle
Old April 20th 08, 11:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
lpounds

Thank you so much for resurrecting this. I hope you do so every year.

--
lpounds

'Levi'
(http://www.imagearts.ryerson.ca/stud...tEmail=lpounds)